Help! Unsure about next steps

hrj_BA

Hello Everyone, always a pleasure to get help from everyone here. I am pretty much freaking out right now and have no one to turn to that would understand so any insight is appreciated.

TL;DR: Next 2 years in either: A) full time research job bordering responsibilities of a lab manager in unrelated clinical psych research with opportunities for independent projects or B.) Non funded terminal master's program to compensate for low undergrad GPA

I need some advice about what to do moving forward. Ultimately, I want to get into a clinical psych, possibly counseling psych PhD program. However, I know I'm lacking in several areas and I'm kind of at a crossroads about what to do next.

Background: I graduated from a mid-tier UC spring 2019 and worked at as a research assistant at a psychology department I consider to be pretty rigorous (R1 midwest school) for a year. I didn't get any significant experience, if anything I was doing more as an undergrad RA so I wasn't completely set on staying. I tried to increase my responsibilities/ opportunities to get deeper in research but my PI was understandably too busy and couldn't really help. I left after my mom fell ill right around when quarantine went into effect. I just didn't feel right being so far away so I moved back without a job. She's doing a lot better now so I feel okay venturing into the next steps of my career, but I'm not sure what to do next.

My GPA isn't great, I went to 3 different schools during my undergrad and I think it averages around 3.4 for cumulative, 3.6 for psych only. GRE was 163 V/155 Q which is okay and pretty much average for most of the programs I want, but not stellar enough to surpass my other average stats. I don't have publications or posters. 

I have finally gotten a job offer at the psychiatry department of a well known med school, but the problem is the research isn't at all related to what I want to research in the future. The PI wants to help me in preparing me to be more competitive for grad school though, which I really appreciate. I could use the money right now because I'm pretty much living off savings at this point. She said she would want a 2 year commitment. 

My other option is to do a terminal master's in psych to improve my GPA and build my research skills that way. It does scare me to be in debt, and the possibility of credits not matriculating  also makes me unsure. This would also involve a 2 year commitment. I got into one last year but decided not to go because the PI I got also did not really have any research that would translate to what I want to do. I wasn't really sure why he picked me at all if I'll be honest. 

Am I going about all of this wrong? Like does research fit have to be identical or can I get into programs I want if I just sell things the right way to future PIs? If I end up getting publications would that somewhat override the less favorable parts of my application? 

Thank you so so much if you have read all of this. Don't be afraid to be brutally honest. Clarity would be better than this sense of overwhelming dread I have of making bad decisions. 

Research skills are transferable. Even though it may not be exactly what you want to do, are the research methods and tasks things that are used in your particular field of interest? Most of the time, it is pretty easy to draw a path between the research you have done to the research you want to do, even if it is in the form of skills such as knowing R or having hands-on experience with grant submission and the like. It sounds like the RA position will most likely be the better option. 

First-year Clinical Psych PhD student here. I think both of your options have their advantages. I have a Master's degree in clinical psych and for me, that was my ticket into a PhD program because of the faculty connections I made at my University. It also helped me grow as researcher/clinician and ultimately, was that middle step I needed before starting a doctoral program. However, even if your research isn't exactly in your field of interest, if you are learning skills that can be transferrable (as mentioned above) to potential labs you want to work in in a PhD program, it still looks good on an application (IMO). If you were to take the research job, I would encourage you to try and spearhead your own project.

On 10/8/2020 at 12:52 AM, hrj_BA said:

I have finally gotten a job offer at the psychiatry department of a well known med school, but the problem is the research isn't at all related to what I want to research in the future. The PI wants to help me in preparing me to be more competitive for grad school though, which I really appreciate. I could use the money right now because I'm pretty much living off savings at this point. She said she would want a 2 year commitment. 

If this PI is prepared to occasionally help review and edit your own independent work, you might be able to pull some posters and even a publication out of it that directly reflects your interests.

If they're not willing or able to help in that manner, perhaps they can point you to a colleague who'd be willing to mentor you a little? In my experience, it's easier than you think to get posters accepted. My first poster was in my first semester of my programme and I wish I had known what was involved earlier. I could have done a lot more prior to entry. However, seasoned academics really know how to tidy things up and make them presentable. If you can get access to someone, all you need to do is put the work in.

Also, see if you can get some part-time clinical experience. I worked clinically for about 8 years after undergrad (and I was already 30 when I started UG, lol) before going to grad school because I wanted to really know life on the frontlines.  Obviously, I'm not suggesting you do that, but some clinical hours may help you, especially if you're looking at counseling psychology.

Those are my thoughts. Do with them what you will?

I agree that research skills are transferrable and as long as you get something out of either options (posters/publications), it will fill the gap in your application. Another aspect you would like to look into is whether you have strong LORs. Going to 3 different schools may have impacted your connections with faculty who can write strong LORs that can speak about your strengths in a personal and professional way. A master's program would definitely give you access to more faculty while a research job tends to help more in terms of research productivity. I wouldn't worry too much about GPA as your psych GPA is decent already. Not having posters/publications is likely to affect you much more than your average GPA.