List of Top Terminal MA Programs - Am I missing any?

polemicist

Obviously "top" or "best" are somewhat subjective and unfairly dissolve many important factors that should be considered when applying to schools and deciding where to go. But like many MA applicants, my primary aspiration is to attend a university with a strong placement record for PhD programs, particularly in recent years. So by "best", I suppose I'm asking mostly about schools with the most promising placement records, given that this seems to be one of the more consequential factors for MA students interested in going on to a PhD in Philosophy and who are deciding which terminal MA programs to apply to. 

Personal fit (in terms of my main areas of interest) matters a lot, too, but I'm currently persuaded that it is wise, in my case, to first get into the best PhD program I can after receiving a terminal MA, and only at that point focusing in on my primary philosophical interests. I think this makes sense because there's a reasonable probability that my current main areas of interest and primary research questions will change after entering an MA program, and because my philosophical interests are currently broad enough to allow me to be comfortable attending a university that's less of a personal fit but with a much better placement record. 

My current, tentative list of schools comes almost entirely from the PGR's list of top MA programs. But perhaps there are schools not listed there that are also promising, and that I'm missing. I may not apply to all of these ultimately, but they're all on my radar, and some are obvious choices to apply to:

• Tufts University
  • Brandeis University
  • University of Oxford (BPhil)
  • Northern Illinois University
  • University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
  • Georgia State University
  • San Francisco State University
  • Cal State Long Beach
  • Cal State Los Angeles
  • Western Michigan University
  • Virginia Tech
  • Carnegie Mellon University
  • University of Missouri, St. Louis
  • University of Houston
  • Ohio State University 

Any other schools worth applying to for someone looking to get into the best PhD programs? I appreciate all feedback and advice!

Many Canadian programs have stronger track records than some of those listed above. That includes Simon Fraser, Queens, Western, UofToronto, University of Calgary, Concordia, etc.

In the US, Texas Tech also places well

Edited by PolPhil

@PolPhil Thank you! I hadn't considered Canadian universities but am looking into them now. SFU in particular looks to have a great placement record. 

Do you think UofToronto's MA program is worth applying to for international students given that domestic applicants are given high priority?

Also, do you know much about the University of British Columbia's MA program? I couldn't find their placement data for MA graduates, only for PhD graduates. 

Edited by polemicist

14 minutes ago, polemicist said:

@PolPhil Thank you! I hadn't considered Canadian universities but am looking into them now. SFU in particular looks to have a great placement record. 

Do you think UofToronto's MA program is worth applying to for international students given that domestic applicants are given high priority?

Also, do you know much about the University of British Columbia's MA program? I couldn't find their placement data for MA graduates, only for PhD graduates. 

Simon Fraser is an amazing option. It's honestly comparable to Tufts in placement, but it's funded. 

UofT is worth applying to, if only because it's well funded and they have truly amazing philosophers. They recommend that international students just apply for the PhD program (direct entry), and they'll consider you for the MA as well. It's worth a shot. 

UBC is the second ranked graduate program in Canada, though I'm not sure about their MA placements. Like many of the other Canadian grad programs, it's likely a good quality MA. You'd for sure be able to get great recommendations so long as you merit them. Having looked at lists of grad students at top PhD programs, I have seen people from UBC, so it's also probably worth a shot, especially if it's funded (which I think is unofficially guaranteed, but you should check on that) 

On 10/15/2020 at 4:58 AM, polemicist said:

Many Canadian MA programs simply don't list their placement records. SFU and Calgary have placement, and they seem amazingly strong.

By the way, does anyone have an idea about what generally contributes to a great fit between you and an MA programs? Say, one has to decide between two great MA programs, one has better placement but has not that impressing faculty (but still a fit), while the other has professors that interest you a lot but is not that strong at placement. Is the fit with the latter one going to enhance you a lot, despite the general placement records? Or is it better just to choose the former?

4 hours ago, PhilCoffee said:

By the way, does anyone have an idea about what generally contributes to a great fit between you and an MA programs? Say, one has to decide between two great MA programs, one has better placement but has not that impressing faculty (but still a fit), while the other has professors that interest you a lot but is not that strong at placement. Is the fit with the latter one going to enhance you a lot, despite the general placement records? Or is it better just to choose the former?

For an MA program, I would probably suggest prioritizing placement since MAs usually aim at giving students general competency in philosophy. When I did an MA, it was basically impossible to pursue your own interests because the courses demanded so much in so many different arenas. Also, you'd hate to have regrets if you go with the "fit" choice and then don't get in anywhere afterward...

For assessment, look at the courses they've offered in the last two to four years, that will give one of the best indicators of what life will be like there.

Edited by Olórin