don't come to Pitt

doctormelody

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2020 at 9:16 PM, Diamond said:

University of Pittsburgh? What's your issue with the program?

Yes. Honestly, I don't even know where to begin but I'll try and sum up my main grievances below:

1)The financial aid is horrible
2) The administrative staff are actively cruel towards students for no reason
3) The quality of instruction is consistently appalling
4) The field opportunities and field advising are also appalling
5) The price of tuition combined with the lack of adequate financial aid and zero name recognition outside of this region make it a terrible investment if you are ever planning to live anywhere besides western PA

If you have more questions about any of these or want specifics, feel free to respond here or DM me. I can't say that I regret coming to Pitt because I have made some great friends throughout my time in the program, but if not for that, I absolutely would. 

Edited by doctormelody

Before investing in the guidance offered by a graduate student dissatisfied with a program, consider the benefit of taking a look at previous posts to develop context. 

IME, first and second year graduate students who spend a lot of time praising or bashing their programs are not always the most reliable sources for information about the program they're attending. 

The purpose of this post is not to invalidate the OP's experiences or feelings. The purpose of this post is to suggest that those looking to make decisions that will affect the rest of their lives should do their due diligence before accepting (or rejecting) strongly held opinions that are offered as absolute fact from an insider.

On 11/10/2020 at 3:28 PM, ArchieJones said:

Is the PhD program just as bad?

I can’t speak to this as I am a master’s student.

On 11/11/2020 at 1:39 AM, Sigaba said:

Before investing in the guidance offered by a graduate student dissatisfied with a program, consider the benefit of taking a look at previous posts to develop context. 

IME, first and second year graduate students who spend a lot of time praising or bashing their programs are not always the most reliable sources for information about the program they're attending. 

The purpose of this post is not to invalidate the OP's experiences or feelings. The purpose of this post is to suggest that those looking to make decisions that will affect the rest of their lives should do their due diligence before accepting (or rejecting) strongly held opinions that are offered as absolute fact from an insider.

With respect, I don’t know what your point is. Is my opinion less valid because I have been uncertain about my career path in the past? I definitely think that people should do their own research and I can acknowledge that I was quite upset when I wrote this. However, I can support each of the claims that I made here if folks are interested.

My only aim in writing this was to help other students. I never would have considered Pitt if not for grad cafe, so it was important to me to reach other potential out-of-state students who might not have anyone they can talk to who has firsthand experience of the program. 

If you had done a little more digging in my post history, you would have seen that I was accepted to Columbia’s MSW program in 2018. I have a friend who attended that program, and while I don’t think they would say it was perfect, these broad systemic issues were simply not present. Am I, on some level, bitter that I turned down an Ivy League school to attend an overpriced store-brand institution? Sure.

If an adult reads my post and decides not to apply to Pitt solely based on the words of a stranger from the Internet, I’m sorry, but that’s not my problem. I simply wanted to provide another perspective so that students can make an informed decision. Judging by your post history you are neither studying social work nor working in the field, so again, with respect - maybe just stay in your lane.

1 hour ago, doctormelody said:

I can’t speak to this as I am a master’s student.

With respect, I don’t know what your point is. Is my opinion less valid because I have been uncertain about my career path in the past? I definitely think that people should do their own research and I can acknowledge that I was quite upset when I wrote this. However, I can support each of the claims that I made here if folks are interested.

My only aim in writing this was to help other students. I never would have considered Pitt if not for grad cafe, so it was important to me to reach other potential out-of-state students who might not have anyone they can talk to who has firsthand experience of the program. 

If you had done a little more digging in my post history, you would have seen that I was accepted to Columbia’s MSW program in 2018. I have a friend who attended that program, and while I don’t think they would say it was perfect, these broad systemic issues were simply not present. Am I, on some level, bitter that I turned down an Ivy League school to attend an overpriced store-brand institution? Sure.

If an adult reads my post and decides not to apply to Pitt solely based on the words of a stranger from the Internet, I’m sorry, but that’s not my problem. I simply wanted to provide another perspective so that students can make an informed decision. Judging by your post history you are neither studying social work nor working in the field, so again, with respect - maybe just stay in your lane.

Your recommendation that I stay in my lane is both telling and ill considered. My recommendation that readers consider your other posts is not centered around Pitt, nor SW. At no time do I claim to have knowledge of either. For you to imply that I am writing from that perspective suggests that your attention to detail is lacking.

My recommendation is simply that readers consider your "guidance" within the context of your conduct on this BB. Based upon your posts, readers can decide for themselves if you're attempting to urge aspiring graduate students to look before they leap or offering guidance on how to do their due diligence or if you're grinding an ax and settling scores. 

Had you shared information on how you've diligently addressed your concerns with the program face to face with professors, staff, and administration at Pitt, which you doubtlessly have done many times, I would find your assertion that you're trying to help less controversial. 

If you have a problem with me, state it. Otherwise, I have more important things to do with my time than get in a flame war with a stranger who has no experience with social work on Grad Café, of all places.

On 11/13/2020 at 10:39 AM, Sigaba said:

Had you shared information on how you've diligently addressed your concerns with the program face to face with professors, staff, and administration at Pitt, which you doubtlessly have done many times, I would find your assertion that you're trying to help less controversial. 

As for this sarcastic and unhelpful comment, suffice it to say that these concerns have been raised with the administration many times and that the response has been less than ideal. I do not feel comfortable saying more here, but if folks who are thinking of applying to Pitt have questions, please feel free to private message me. I’m also fine with continuing this discussion here, just not with you as you have contributed nothing of value thus far.