Can I get into a phd program?

leanette97

Hello everyone. I am currently applying to psyd and phd programs for clinical psychology or social psychology. I graduated with a BA in applied psychology and a minor in political science, with a 3.5 gpa. I am currently in my last year of my masters program in marriage and family therapy with a certificate in working with spanish-speaking clients. I have worked in 3 research projects. I currently have a 4.0 GPA in my MFT program. I have presented at WPA and my group research is about "Why do Gay men compete?" I am also working on a research project about latinx representation in the media. I am also working on my clinical hours and doing them at a community mental health site where I see an average of 5-10 clients a week. What are my chances of getting accepted into a phd or psyd program? 

Hey, I'm a MFTer also. Yes, you have a good chance for a PhD I think, though Clinical Psych is (of course) as competitive as ever. I'd look at CFT programs with a LGBTQ+ focus in addition to clinical psych and social psychology.

We have similar stats. My undergrad was psych, minors in anthropology, sociology, and women's studies. My masters is in Human Development and Family Science, Marriage and Family Therapy. I have certifications in clinical work with trauma as well as working with trauma in families. 4.0 GPAs, some research, presentations, awards, etc... My client and research focus is also LGBTQ+ (Trans population, affects of adverse and minority stress - including ACEs - on identity development).

I looked at clinical psych, social psych, counseling psych, various human ecology, and MFT/CFT PhD programs.

I chose to attend the University of Iowa CFT PhD program in the Psychological and Quantitative Foundations department, as the clinical focus here is LGBTQ and we have an LGBTQ Counseling Clinic (which helps with if you are wanting to work with research in the LGBTQ population) as well as being a top-tier/Research I university. 

Just based on what you said, I believe you would have a shot at getting accepted to this and other programs.

Have you had any ideas of where you want to apply? When are you planning to apply (if this year you have a time crunch, but could potentially still do it).

Feel free to message me or reply here, I'm happy to chat.