Operations Research / Industrial Engineering Fall 2011

finallywon

Sure, here we go:

GRE: 800Q / 650V / 5.0AW

Undergrad and MS in IE in the top school in my country (but not known at all outside it).

GPA (as converted by WES). Undergrad: 3.8/4.0 Grad: 4.0/4.0

Research: 2 publications in proceedings, 1 submitted journal, several talks.

Three years working on OR team in Fortune 100 company. Here we have done interesting research, but publications are hard due to legal issues, I pointed that out in my SoP.

LoRs from PhDs from GaTech, NCSU and Penn State.

Good luck to all

Dan, i see that your records and scores are impressive. Did Berkeley offer you funding? Congrulations for the admissions.

Has anyone heard officially from Berkeley IEOR on funding.

Received official admit letter form grad school last week, but no mention of funding either my department or by grad school.

Should I be worried?

Edited by RoboTicks

Has anyone heard officially from Berkeley IEOR on funding.

Received official admit letter form grad school last week, but no mention of funding either my department or by grad school.

Should I be worried?

I received the same official letter and no mention of funding. I asked for the funding decisions and they told me that "If you don't receive any funding notification from us by March 15, it means that we are not offering you any funding".

So, don't be worry, wait until March 15

good luck

i have heard the rumor long ago, that ieor@ucb only gives 1 or 2 newly recruited phds full financial support...... most phds have to find money themselves...

I received the same official letter and no mention of funding. I asked for the funding decisions and they told me that "If you don't receive any funding notification from us by March 15, it means that we are not offering you any funding".

So, don't be worry, wait until March 15

good luck

That is true, sadly. Hope the situation is getting better this year, but I don't think so:(

For Berkeley IEOR, they post admission firstly, and then discuss about how to assign the funding (this is what I heard from some PHD candidates there.)

For Berkeley IEOR, they post admission firstly, and then discuss about how to assign the funding (this is what I heard from some PHD candidates there.)

I have heard this as well that incoming students at MS and MS/PhD level seldom are funded on RAs. And the lucky ones who get TAs have to cover the out-of state tuition out of pocket.(Surprisingly unlike most other schools TAs at UCB (GSI as they are known in UCB jargon) dont cover complete tuition and stipend.

I hope some combination of fellowship and RA/TA is offered to us guys.

BTW how many of you are still planning to attend UCB IEOR. I mean is this the top choice school for most or is it second fiddle to MIT ORC, GaTech ISYE, and Cornell/Columbia?

Hey,

first msg here...

any one heard from Columbia Business phd Decision Risk & Operations (DRO) or from Princeton phd ORFE ?

it's taking forever!

thanks

Princeton: got an email saying the official decision will be madeby the grad school on march 1st

I have heard this as well that incoming students at MS and MS/PhD level seldom are funded on RAs. And the lucky ones who get TAs have to cover the out-of state tuition out of pocket.(Surprisingly unlike most other schools TAs at UCB (GSI as they are known in UCB jargon) dont cover complete tuition and stipend.

I hope some combination of fellowship and RA/TA is offered to us guys.

BTW how many of you are still planning to attend UCB IEOR. I mean is this the top choice school for most or is it second fiddle to MIT ORC, GaTech ISYE, and Cornell/Columbia?

mostly the same as what I heard. Even you got a chance to work with a professor, they MAY pay for your tuitions. And most GSI/Readers find their job AFTER they arrive at campus. (Strangely I know people from other departments receiving full support working as a TA. Maybe it is just IEOR....sigh....)

Princeton: got an email saying the official decision will be madeby the grad school on march 1st

congrats! i guess that means something cause i didn't receive a thing...

so tomorrow :-) i will be waiting..

Good luck...

now waiting for Columbia..

Edited by The post man

Hey guys, does anyone get offer/rej/wl from ORIE@Cornell?

now we see rejs, offers, and wls on the results board....

but i still get nothing from cornell... i guess my rej is on its way :(

now we see rejs, offers, and wls on the results board....

but i still get nothing from cornell... i guess my rej is on its way :(

you still did not get the result from MS&E@Stanford..?

you still did not get the result from MS&E@Stanford..?

not yet.... I think my chance is pretty small at this point... it's already March....

did u get anything from stanford?

not yet.... I think my chance is pretty small at this point... it's already March....

did u get anything from stanford?

nope. I note that it is too hard to get this one.. btw I did apply to mathematical programming division at ORIE@Cornell.