Operations Research / Industrial Engineering Fall 2011

finallywon

Hey thanks for your reply MindLeftBody. I did not choose that "consider MS" option... I think i should write to ask about this...

do u know how stanford makes admission decisions? do they have a committee to vote? I am curious how comes this situation....

----

Hi Merak-I have no idea how admissions decisions are made at each school. You may want to inquire about your app status, but be careful about telling them that you want the consider MS option. That may show desperation and then they may admit you to the MS without funding....who knows? Maybe it is best to simply wait and see what happens....

-------

Congratulations on the admits. Very well done. In my opinion, MIT is your choice hands down. Stanford MS&E doesn't have great job placement, as far as I can tell (others have commented on this all over the web). Also, the San Francisco area is a VERY expensive place to live. Some polls say it is more expensive to live there than New York City. Cornell is a great school, but it is cold and tough weather there. MIT is a very prestigious school with great job placement after you finish. Boston is a fun place too. MIT is the best....no question about it.....best of luck with your decisions. I'm jealous of you.

P.S. OR_Kid-Have you added all of your admission notices up to the results board?

-------

Congratulations on the admits. Very well done. In my opinion, MIT is your choice hands down. Stanford MS&E doesn't have great job placement, as far as I can tell (others have commented on this all over the web). Also, the San Francisco area is a VERY expensive place to live. Some polls say it is more expensive to live there than New York City. Cornell is a great school, but it is cold and tough weather there. MIT is a very prestigious school with great job placement after you finish. Boston is a fun place too. MIT is the best....no question about it.....best of luck with your decisions. I'm jealous of you.

I wouldn't rule out Stanford. I think very few people live in San Francisco and go to Stanford, and there is a similar cost of living closer to Stanford as near MIT. Stanford also has much nicer weather year-round and the OR/IE track has good job placement. The difference between weather near Cornell and MIT is negligible compared to how nice Stanford is all year.

That said, I think you should look more at the faculty at each university and try to find potential supervisors, maybe contact them and see what your options are. If you wind up doing something you don't enjoy or aren't enthusiastic about, that will be a bigger problem.

I wouldn't rule out Stanford. I think very few people live in San Francisco and go to Stanford, and there is a similar cost of living closer to Stanford as near MIT. Stanford also has much nicer weather year-round and the OR/IE track has good job placement. The difference between weather near Cornell and MIT is negligible compared to how nice Stanford is all year.

That said, I think you should look more at the faculty at each university and try to find potential supervisors, maybe contact them and see what your options are. If you wind up doing something you don't enjoy or aren't enthusiastic about, that will be a bigger problem.

Good points, IE_App. Weather is probably better in California. Job placement potential might be better for phds....

Go with what your gut says....visit every campus if you have time. Best of luck to u.

Each has its own advantages. Stanford is very strong in mathematical programming, especially in large-scale linear programming. It is in the MS&E department so you might have more options to explore around. Cornell has a couple of very famous people in stochastic modeling, but other OR-related areas appear rather lackluster in comparison. MIT is very strong in all areas compared to other OR departments. Nonetheless, you definitely should visit them all. Isnt it Stanford's Open House today?

This might be irrelevant but in case you're interested. Location-wise: Palo Alto > Cambridge > > > > > Ithaca. As the matter of fact, just forget about Cornell. Ithaca is horrible place to live, especially during winter which seems to last forever. The suicide rate is rather high there.

I think your assessment of their strengths is pretty accurate - or at least, it matches what I'm thinking.

I'm also fairly concerned about Cornell as a place to live, seems very isolated, also a very very very long way from home.

I think the chances of me picking it are pretty low given the two alternatives.

-------

In my admissions letter to Stanford, they mention something about applying for grad housing early, because the off-campus stuff is scarce and expensive - so you may be on to something.

A lot of people are saying MIT... they can't all be wrong!

I can't believe I even have this choice to make! Didn't think I was competitive enough for these places, but I guess I must of said all the right things in my application.

P.S. OR_Kid-Have you added all of your admission notices up to the results board?

Didn't think of that - just added them now.

Yeah supervisors are a big deal. There are some people at Stanford who have called me already who seem fairly keen to have me. MIT seem to have someone in mind as well, but I guess thats what the "open house" is for.

Good points, IE_App. Weather is probably better in California. Job placement potential might be better for phds....

Go with what your gut says....visit every campus if you have time. Best of luck to u.

Thanks!

I think your assessment of their strengths is pretty accurate - or at least, it matches what I'm thinking.

I'm also fairly concerned about Cornell as a place to live, seems very isolated, also a very very very long way from home.

In my admissions letter to Stanford, they mention something about applying for grad housing early, because the off-campus stuff is scarce and expensive - so you may be on to something.

I can't believe I even have this choice to make! Didn't think I was competitive enough for these places, but I guess I must of said all the right things in my application.

Yeah supervisors are a big deal. There are some people at Stanford who have called me already who seem fairly keen to have me. MIT seem to have someone in mind as well, but I guess thats what the "open house" is for.

Thanks!

I'll admit that I'm a nerd, but this idea might help you. I made a spreadsheet listing the schools I got into and then I ranked each school against the other based on funding, location, faculty, reputation, proximity to my hometown.....

This will force you to think about all the things you are looking for and then rank each school against the other. This might help you. Either way, you are in a good position to be in.

Thanks!

Hi OR_Kid, Did you get any interview from these three schools before you got the offer?

any news from fall 2011 PhD in ISE @ University of Florida or IE @ University of Pittsburgh??

Hi...

I knew that UFL started giving their results... by the way I applied for UFL and I have'nt receive news..

See you

someone posted an acceptance from MS, MS&E stanford... anyone with the confirmation here?

I have applied for that program too.... yet to get any decisions.... seems one has got accepted and one rejected till now...

To whom was invited to Michigan IOE PhD program, can you share some information about the admission decision? It seems that no one received neither the rejection nor acceptance. Is it true? I really want to know when they make a decision. :(

My friend at Cornell said that this year they received record number of applications at around 900+ applicants for the MEng program, which is like 200 more applicants than last year at around 700+. I am guessing that they should accept around 120-150 students as there are around 70-80 students enrolled each year. It is kinda strange that I don't really see anyone talks about Cornell ORIE MEng this year.

finally got accepted to Stanford MS&E (master's)

good to know before spring break :lol::lol:

Congrats Zonda!

Have you applied to this program more than once? I'm asking since you said "finally". Thanks.

Congrats Zonda!

Have you applied to this program more than once? I'm asking since you said "finally". Thanks.

Does anyone heard from ORIE@Cornell around these days? or anyone still waiting for their feekback?