TIFU on my CV

kingduck

I was working on my CV, and in my work experience section, which was listed at the very bottom, I wrote something along the lines of "researched x,y,z to asses the viability of... etc." It's clear that I meant to write "assess" as a verb and not the plural of "@$$". Obviously, I missed it the first time I proofread my CV, and so did my recommender who went over it with me. I would consider this a small typo in normal circumstances, but this is a swear word.

I'm hoping the adcoms will overlook it too, as it sounds like they really only glance over CV's, let alone the work experience section. I do have a research and papers sections listed higher up on the CV.

Any chance this will ruin my app? I caught this error after only submitting to 1 school. So other schools will be getting a more thoroughly proofread document, without swearwords in it.

Edited by kingduck

I don't think this will ruin your app - especially since this is listed on the very bottom. There are many parts to an application, and frankly, considering that both you and your recommender missed it when proofreading, the person looking at your CV might not notice either. If there's still a substantial amount of time before your applications are due (like 2+ weeks), you can reach out to admissions/your department and request them to update the CV on your application with a new one if you already applied and can no longer edit your application. Don't fret - you'll be okay.

Edited by pomegranateleaves

Somehow I ended up with "statistics" to "statistic's" in my submitted personal statements and I don't think anyone noticed. As long as it's not something like a different school name or a whole bunch of grammatical mistakes, I wouldn't worry about it too much.