Political Science PhD - My Profile?

Parl Kolanyi

Hello all,

This is my first post here so I hope what I'll write makes sense for that platform. I want you to ask whether my profile is "good enough" to get accepted for the schools I plan to apply for PhD in Political Science.

I am an international undergrad student from a top school in Turkey, double majoring in Political Science & IR and Sociology. I have 3.45/4 GPA and my GRE scores are: Q-164 V-154 W-4. I have decent references and I am happy with my SoP. These are the schools I will apply: Ohio State, Virginia, Duke, Chicago, Northwestern, Penn State and Rochester. I want to specialize on Comparative Political Economy.

What should I expect from decisions? How would you you evaluate my profile according to these schools? And I would love to hear your advices.

You have the kind of profile that does not necessarily exclude you from any of the schools you are considering. But very many of the students you'll be competing against might have a stronger profile than yours. So whether or not you get in depends on, I think, if you can demonstrate outstanding potential to succeed in the program and beyond in other ways. You should basically try to ensure that you have a great SoP and writing sample. One concern is your low Verbal GRE score - that will be a red flag to any adcom. I'd probably apply to at least two less prominent programs that are easier to get into. Look in the lower top-50.

4 hours ago, Theory007 said:

You have the kind of profile that does not necessarily exclude you from any of the schools you are considering. But very many of the students you'll be competing against might have a stronger profile than yours. So whether or not you get in depends on, I think, if you can demonstrate outstanding potential to succeed in the program and beyond in other ways. You should basically try to ensure that you have a great SoP and writing sample. One concern is your low Verbal GRE score - that will be a red flag to any adcom. I'd probably apply to at least two less prominent programs that are easier to get into. Look in the lower top-50.

Thank you for your help! As I am an undergraduate, if I am not accepted these schools I am okay with making masters first and later applying similar or maybe higher schools. That's why I didn't include lower schools. 

About GRE, some grad school pages say Verbal GRE score of international applicants are weighted less than the other factors. Do you think I should retake or I just shouldn't send my scores to schools that GRE is optional for this year? 

Does this mean that you are applying to MA programs in addition to the phd programs. Yes you are right that many programs weigh the verbal GRE less for international students, but I don't know how much is an acceptable score for internationals. It strikes me as a bit low but maybe others will disagree? Yes I would retake the GRE if you could improve on the verbal section, but maybe it's too late for this application round. I don't know if you'll be better off not sending GRE scores at all.

14 minutes ago, Theory007 said:

Does this mean that you are applying to MA programs in addition to the phd programs. Yes you are right that many programs weigh the verbal GRE less for international students, but I don't know how much is an acceptable score for internationals. It strikes me as a bit low but maybe others will disagree? Yes I would retake the GRE if you could improve on the verbal section, but maybe it's too late for this application round. I don't know if you'll be better off not sending GRE scores at all.

Yes I will be applying to MA programs but mostly in Europe and Turkey as there are more scholarships for MAs than in the US. I am really concerned about my verbal GRE now. Actually, I took exam just after a huge earthquake hit my hometown Izmir and caused me a lot of stress. Should I mention that in my SoP? 

8 hours ago, omerozkilinc said:

About GRE, some grad school pages say Verbal GRE score of international applicants are weighted less than the other factors. Do you think I should retake or I just shouldn't send my scores to schools that GRE is optional for this year? 

it is true international students may not get a high score as native english speaking students. But just among international students, many apply with at least 158 (I am talking among my peers in East Asia). the common score among us are 160-162. So I suggest do it one more time  

On 11/23/2020 at 8:08 AM, omerozkilinc said:

These are the schools I will apply: Ohio State, Virginia, Duke, Chicago, Northwestern, Penn State and Rochester.

Also, Duke is not accepting new applications this year.

2 minutes ago, munch22 said:

Can you send a link? I haven’t seen anything on this and don’t think it’s correct given they didn’t have a cohort last year. 

You are right and I am wrong. I was almost sure, but must have confused it with something else. So it looks like Duke is indeed going forward with applications this year. Sorry for the confusion.

8 hours ago, Theory007 said:

You are right and I am wrong. I was almost sure, but must have confused it with something else. So it looks like Duke is indeed going forward with applications this year. Sorry for the confusion.

Duke suspended applications last year, so that might explain the confusion!

On 11/24/2020 at 8:19 AM, omerozkilinc said:

Actually, I took exam just after a huge earthquake hit my hometown Izmir and caused me a lot of stress. Should I mention that in my SoP? 

To me, its not a question on whether you should, its a question whether adcom will have a chance to read your SoP. I was told by previous PhDs in top 6  that PhDs or other staff do the first round screening based on GRE, GPA. So if 154 is not a safe score to pass the threshold, your SoP and other application materials may not be passed for the second round by professors. 

Edited by needanoffersobad

I suggest that you check out the MA in Social Sciences at the Juan March Institute of Madrid (google it). It has a pretty good placement record (Duke, Yale, NYU, etc.) and it offers nice funding for international students. It also has a history of admitting several Turkish students. There is a very talented guy from Bogazici in my cohort.