General Graduate Writing Advice?

purplepandas15

I have currently been struggling with writing longer term papers. My short 2-3 page papers are usually good, clear and concise. But when moving towards longer 15-20 page papers, I have been struggling to stay patient. 
Does anyone have any advice for how to stay clear and concise when writing longer work?

Describe exactly what you mean when you write. Avoid phrases like "that is to say" "as well as" etc. Most people have at least some of that kind of fluff in their writing. Look for places where you're not actually saying anything and chop out those words. Same goes for summaries of others' work. Is each sentence/paragraph contributing to your overall paper, or is it just there to fulfill a summary/review requirement? 

In terms of editing papers down, I find I can get distracted when words start moving around on the page so I set up an "operating table" which is a blank doc where I copy-paste paragraphs or sentences I'm trying to rework so I can focus on that section alone. I find it helps with hacking away at word counts and precise writing.

Yeah, having a clear plan for a paper is important for me, with different sections (4-6, on average, for me), each of which has a specific, attainable goal. Setting writing blocks is also important, either bh time (60-90 mins before a break, perhaps) or page count (1-2?). Also setting such goals on the scale of a whole day, if applicable. Also, having a good sense of the secondary literature, taking notes on papers and checking out the papers they cite, is quite useful to me for developing my ideas and figuring out how to say something novel. Talking about ideas with others is important too.

In any case, I recommend asking those who are further along in your program for advice.

5 hours ago, BabyFarmer said:

In terms of editing papers down, I find I can get distracted when words start moving around on the page so I set up an "operating table" which is a blank doc where I copy-paste paragraphs or sentences I'm trying to rework so I can focus on that section alone. I find it helps with hacking away at word counts and precise writing.

This. Definitely agree.

I usually have three documents. A master note document with citations, as well as quotes or even full pages from key texts. This will often include an outline. I usually make a clone of this document, and every time i use a passage or quote, i delete it from the clone so that i can keep track of what I haven’t added into the paper.

An ‘operating table’ type document, where i will, say, place a key quote i want to analyze or an argument i need to summarize or refute, and do the actual writing in that document, sometimes doing several variations on the same bit to see what is successful. I let all of the detritus collect below a page break, just in case.

A proper ‘essay’ document, usually written in 6-8 point font, single spaced, two pages visible, so that i can get a birds-eye view of the paper, focusing on the paper structure.

As the paper comes into focus, these will slowly consolidate into a single document, at which point I shift to editing.

You know, I have found the task of longer papers doesn’t get easier the more you do it. You just get used to the level of difficulty.

My usual strategy is to follow my instinct and pay attention to what happens to stick out to me, and trust that’s the reasons will become clear as I write my way through things. Sometimes it produces great papers, sometimes it produces duds. That’s just how it is, sigh. 

After I have a draft, then I make an outline based on what is written to see how things fit together. I’ve never managed to write an outline before having a full length draft.