Where TF are people?

nęm0

Question

I keep hearing about how the applicant pools have double/tripled but where are they? In my 3 years of being on GradCafe this is the quietest it has been. So, is there a new website that's popping or are these applicants just ghosts or people are drastically overestimating the amount of people who actually applied?

Anyone please chime in

On the bright side it seems like schools are interviewing a third more candidates because interviews are virtual and cheaper. It's not all bad I guess. I am excited for these virtual interviews; I cant wait to see what different schools have in store for us. I live in Chicago , would anyone be interested in video tour of the big Chicago campuses (UIC, UChicago, Northwestern)?

9 answers to this question

I think part of the uptick in applications is people that threw applications in due to economic instability. Whenever the job market sucks, people flock back to school. Those who are throwing their hat in the ring because "why not" are usually not going to be the ones who frequent grad admissions forums. They are also usually not those who have spent years refining their application package to make themselves the most competitive. Also, apps were just submitted, so things usually get more active as interview invites and offers start rolling in. 

7 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

I think part of the uptick in applications is people that threw applications in due to economic instability. Whenever the job market sucks, people flock back to school. Those who are throwing their hat in the ring because "why not" are usually not going to be the ones who frequent grad admissions forums. They are also usually not those who have spent years refining their application package to make themselves the most competitive. Also, apps were just submitted, so things usually get more active as interview invites and offers start rolling in. 

I think that we (in thegradcafe community) are just taking a break at the moment because the uptick caused a lot of fear, stress, and uncertainty. Also, I definitely agree. I've spoken with multiple professors on my campus and they all said that this is similar to what happened in the Great Recession - a lot of people without the required experience are applying right now because of job uncertainty. Applying last minute to a grad program your senior year of undergrad (when you never worked in a lab) or years in a job that doesnt give you the skills or experience necessary isn't going to be successful. I assume that those applicants also dont even know that thegradcafe exists

1 hour ago, PsyDuck90 said:

SO, If I am hearing you corretly, I should have put Gradcafe level "Latte" as an accomplishement in my applications? 

*** I am being facetious.

1 hour ago, pomegranateleaves said:

I think that we (in thegradcafe community) are just taking a break at the moment because the uptick caused a lot of fear, stress, and uncertainty. Also, I definitely agree. I've spoken with multiple professors on my campus and they all said that this is similar to what happened in the Great Recession - a lot of people without the required experience are applying right now because of job uncertainty. Applying last minute to a grad program your senior year of undergrad (when you never worked in a lab) or years in a job that doesnt give you the skills or experience necessary isn't going to be successful. I assume that those applicants also dont even know that thegradcafe exists

Yes, Let me put on my "Gradcafe" witness outfit on, and preach the usefullness of this website from door to door.

On 12/6/2020 at 2:46 PM, pomegranateleaves said:

I turned down a well paying job offer(in software engineering) from my internship and applied for grad, is that weird or stupid, or both?