The waiting game......

michellerubadub

My strategy is to focus on my current work / position and think about how if the worst case scenario happens, I need to apply next year, how it would be so much easier of a process given the experience I gain this cycle. I would also have a few more pubs done by then. It helps keep me grounded when I feel I have options (though I hope with all of my heart I’m accepted). I’m also not a big holiday person usually but this year I’m focusing on enjoying them (socially distanced). Good luck to you fellow applicant!! We did it!!

Honestly, there's no way around it. When i was waiting for my decision, there was literally nothing that could help me until I got my decisions lol. But i kinda was just thinking about the worst possible outcome (not getting into any program) as a way of coping, so I know there would be options and next steps for me. Not sure how healthy that was though lol.... 

• 2 weeks later...

I feel you. haha. I'm starting to get anxious now that January is practically upon us. I've had one interview thus far but there's no guarantee that will beget more interviews from other places or that I'll get in anywhere at all. With that said, worrying about applications has been a real treat compared to the worry of the pandemic raging and the not-so-great vaccine roll out. So yeah...no advice other than that we should cherish this being our main worry, given all that's happening in the world. 

I was able to remain patient through December, but I know that I'll receive at least two decisions (from programs where I interviewed) in the month of January, so the suspense is starting to ramp up. I'm trying to focus on enjoying the present with my foster daughter, but I can't help checking my email/ grad café multiple times a day!

On 1/2/2021 at 1:17 PM, drunkenduck said:

I was able to remain patient through December, but I know that I'll receive at least two decisions (from programs where I interviewed) in the month of January, so the suspense is starting to ramp up. I'm trying to focus on enjoying the present with my foster daughter, but I can't help checking my email/ grad café multiple times a day!

Luckily I got my first acceptance, I feel a bit relieved but would like to hear back about funding and other programs I applied to. National Taiwan University sent out acceptances this past week and now I am just waiting to see if I can secure funding for their Global Health PhD program.

• 2 years later...

I totally get how nerve-wracking the waiting game can be! When I applied, I kept myself busy with hobbies, games cash app rewards, stayed in touch with friends, and tried not to constantly check for updates. It's tough, but keeping a balance helps. Fingers crossed for great news in January!

Edited by JoelBlackhead