Research-based Masters Program w/ Clinical Training

dressedtoimpress

Hello,

I have been searching for psychology/counseling Masters programs. Many of the ones I am finding do not have thesis/research routes available. I want enough clinical training to work towards licensure, but also want research opportunities in case I try to purse a PhD again. Does anyone know of any programs that broadly match such a structure? Thanks in advance.

I think pretty much every state university will have a research focused MA or MS in psychology. You may get some clinical experience as well, but there is no master's level psychology license, only doctoral. Counseling masters will usually be more focused on clinical training and may not have as strong a research focus, but that degree leads to a master's level licensure in counseling. Some programs will actually be combined. The MA in the same department as my doctoral program is a combined Clinical psychology and counseling MA, so it meets license criteria in my state for being a counselor. There is a thesis option. 

Check out the MA Clinical Psychology program at Towson University. I had a colleague in my clinical internship who went there and she was doing clinical work while working on a research thesis at the same time, and she's licensed as a counselor after graduation.

On 12/30/2020 at 2:58 PM, PsyDuck90 said:

You may get some clinical experience as well, but there is no master's level psychology license, only doctoral.

Missouri allows Masters in Clinical Psych to take the E-PPP and open or join a practice, just FYI :) I think both U of MO Columbia and St Louis offer a Masters that leads to licensure, or at least they did in the last couple of years.

What can I say. Missouri is weird, that's why I looked for programs anywhere but there...

30 minutes ago, Randi S said:

Missouri allows Masters in Clinical Psych to take the E-PPP and open or join a practice, just FYI :) I think both U of MO Columbia and St Louis offer a Masters that leads to licensure, or at least they did in the last couple of years.

What can I say. Missouri is weird, that's why I looked for programs anywhere but there...

Yeah, there's a few random states that allow it, but it is not the norm and a psychologist is a doctoral level practitioner. States like Texas and Missouri as I just learned (thank you) allow someone to be a psychology associate or something along those lines. I just looked at the Missouri statutes and it looks like they revised them in 2018 to not allow licensure at the masters level. Also, I looked at the websites for both of those universities and it doesn't look like Mizzou-Columbia offers a clinical psych MA outside of the PhD. 

In general, this is why it's so important to review state statutes and licensing requirements, as they change state to state and also over the years. When looking at programs, it's important to look at where you may want to practice and make sure you meet all those requirements. 

16 hours ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Yeah, there's a few random states that allow it, but it is not the norm and a psychologist is a doctoral level practitioner. States like Texas and Missouri as I just learned (thank you) allow someone to be a psychology associate or something along those lines. I just looked at the Missouri statutes and it looks like they revised them in 2018 to not allow licensure at the masters level. Also, I looked at the websites for both of those universities and it doesn't look like Mizzou-Columbia offers a clinical psych MA outside of the PhD. 

In general, this is why it's so important to review state statutes and licensing requirements, as they change state to state and also over the years. When looking at programs, it's important to look at where you may want to practice and make sure you meet all those requirements. 

Good to know! It's nice to see Missouri catching up to the rest of the civilized world!

• 4 weeks later...

New Mexico Highlands University in Las Vegas NM also offers a MS in clinical psychology where you can serve as a masters level clinician once you pass the licensing exam. I recommend this program (my current program, but I'm on the general track) as it is heavily researched based and you can select to do the thesis requirement or comprehensive evaluations with varying practicum sites.