New sample paper?

UndergradDad

For anyone who got into an MA but not a Phd program and then subsequently got into a Phd program after the MA, did you use the same sample paper you used for the MA acceptance or a totally new one? If you used the same paper, how much did you change it and what steps did you take to improve it? Hoping to hear from someone with this actual experience.

Hi UndergradDad, 

I can't fulfill your hope here since I am currently in an MA program and applying out, however, I can tell you my experience which might help.

When I first applied out after undergrad I got rejected across the board to Phd programs, but thankfully, I was accepted into a funded MA program. The general advise from my MA program is that, if you plan to apply out for Phd's, you should develop your MA thesis idea into a writing sample first and then build that document into your full thesis for the rest of the year. I do not know of anyone in my cohort that is using their vanilla writing sample for their Phd applications this time around. I think this might be because people in MA programs are already doing a lot of work and trek-ing back to old earth doesn't seem like a fruitful idea. 

Edited by Potato Cactus

12 hours ago, UndergradDad said:

For anyone who got into an MA but not a Phd program and then subsequently got into a Phd program after the MA, did you use the same sample paper you used for the MA acceptance or a totally new one? If you used the same paper, how much did you change it and what steps did you take to improve it? Hoping to hear from someone with this actual experience.

I am using a totally new one. Is there a reason you wouldn't have a new sample after your MA? I am using a grad seminar paper that I workshoped at a conference and with profs, colleagues, and my letter writers.  This last group of people is the most important. Have all of your letter writers read your sample?  Ideally, they would comment on it in their letters. 

Looking back on my writing sample from undergrad, I have really improved as a writer and philosopher. The topic I chose for my 1st round of applications does not in any way reflect my current philosophical interests, and I understand why I didn't get into places with it. My current sample ties in nicely with my statement of purpose (kant and contemporary epistemology). Who knows if that will help my apps, but I feel really confident in my application because I spent months and months working on it.

Sorry I can't answer your direct question, but I hope this helps.