SLP Master's Interviews!

Interview season for the master's program has officially started! I had an interview about 3 weeks ago and have 2 more coming up within the next few weeks.

• What are some questions you were asked or what tips/advice can you give the rest of us?
  • If you had a group interview, what was the dynamic or what do professions expect from applicants?
  • If you had a spontaneous writing sample, what was it about?

Thank you in advance and good luck to all!

17 hours ago, selfmadeslp said:

Interview season for the master's program has officially started! I had an interview about 3 weeks ago and have 2 more coming up within the next few weeks.

• What are some questions you were asked or what tips/advice can you give the rest of us?
  • If you had a group interview, what was the dynamic or what do professions expect from applicants?
  • If you had a spontaneous writing sample, what was it about?

Thank you in advance and good luck to all!

Hi! Congrats on your interviews. I've completed 2 interviews and I was asked questions like "What made you want to pursue a career as an SLP?" and "Why do you want to attend ___ University." I recommend googling interview questions to start and work your way from there :) Definitely think about your answers beforehand and know what you want to share with those interviewing you. I had to complete a time writing sample as well. I had 2 options: write about a time you experienced failure or write about your experience working with diverse populations. Lastly. Be confident and own it!  

Let me know if you have more questions!

Congratulations! When I was in the last application process, I completed one interview for a school I ultimately got into but did not attend. It was via zoom, pre-pandemic. Echoing what Liza_Ann_92 said, I was asked what my plans were, motivations for entering the field, what experience I had, and what I hoped to gain from their department/school specifically. That said, it was comparably less involved than what some people describe (no group component, no spontaneous writing sample). It felt very similar to a job interview, which in my experience is best when you ask your interviewers good questions to make it feel more like a natural conversation. I was told who would be meeting with me, so I looked up their research ahead of time and skimmed what I was able to get access to, which helped. I also discussed applicable populations I was interested in working with as they pertained to the location of the school, and sent a detailed, thoughtful followup thank you message ~24 hours after the fact. I think that it's a good move to send a followup email because most of the time they're interviewing a substantial number of candidates. 

I didn't make this, but I second the points made in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu_6ezBMQ70

Interviews are so exciting! Congratulations on getting there. 

• What are some questions you were asked or what tips/advice can you give the rest of us? I have a download/PDF on my blog with some of the questions I was asked back when I interviewed: http://thespeechblog.com/free-tools-and-resources/  and  my advice here: http://thespeechblog.com/interviews/ 
  • If you had a group interview, what was the dynamic or what do professions expect from applicants?:  Mine were all 2 on 1. If you're in a group interview, try not to think about "showing off" but rather being sincere and kind. Professors don't want to create a toxic cohort. 
  • If you had a spontaneous writing sample, what was it about?: I've not done it for admissions interviews, but in multiple job applications (SLP and non-SLP). I'd say the key is addressing the prompt. It is easy to vary from the question and ramble onto other questions. Briefly outline your response and then write it. Know when to stop. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, selfmadeslp said:

Thank you all! I completed my second interview last week and today I received and acceptance letter from them! All of your responses helped me immensely! I am forever grateful :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D