Help me understand rankings/tiers?

Ilikekitties

Hey all. So I’ve heard from multiple professors over the years that some universities are better than others for anthropology. I’m really clueless to rankings. I mean I hear things, like...Michigan, Arizona, Chicago, etc. Are top anthro programs. Idk what that’s based on. And I’ve only heard bad things about Chicago anth. 

For example, my professor said something about “Georgia not being top-tier, but Arizona...” or whatever. 

I applied to 6 PhD programs this year and I’ve been admitted to one. But Idk if it’s “top tier.” My acceptance letter says that they’re a top 15 program for anthro, but Idk where that number comes from. It’s the University of Illinois. I don’t know much about them. Are they good for anthro?

This is all just from my own previous application experience and what my undergrad advisor has told me, but I think what's ultimately important about a program is how well the department can support you, if it has the resources to fulfill your research goals, and if the professors there are knowledgeable in your intended research area and if they have contacts you can draw upon. Obviously name recognition probably plays a little (and being a bigger or more known school also ties into how much money the department may have to help fund you). To take UChicago Anthro department for example, they're well known for leaning more heavily theoretical (both in the cultural and archaeology side) and are also very hands off with graduate students (heard from a friend attending that grad students there can take 8-10 years to finish a Ph.D.) which might not be a good fit for some people-- it's still a very good department, but fit is important! (I am also not sure what rankings there are and it may be more personal perception by professors than any definitive list out there.)

Also I'm not sure what University of Illinois campus you've been admitted too, but from my brief experience at UIUC working in their labs for my own research project as an archaeology student, the Anth department seems pretty large and has a lot of well supplied lab spaces... so again, depends on what you're looking for!

Yeah, what bearbonbon said. It was always my perception that fit is usually more important than prestige, as the goal of grad school is to grow and learn in your passion. The faculty should be very supportive of you, and it should not absolutely break your bank to move or attend there. There are many grad school programs that one would expect to be prestigious with anthropologically famous faculty. However, there are “lower tier” programs that have equally famous faculty as well. It is up to you to seek out your PIs. 

• 1 month later...

Unsure if this helps, but I've had a lot of professors reference this article in relation to programs and job placements, which they translated to tiers. I think the PI and what you hope to do with your degree (along with financial support) are important factors.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0202528

• 3 weeks later...

I think the answer to your question is that this is a pretty amorphous concept, based in part on faculty's interaction with other grad students/programs when they were coming up and their experience seeing their peers placed and perhaps even in hiring themselves. Each faculty will have a different perception of what tiers exist and where different schools are placed. Often they'll have summary judgements about certain places just based on a person or two they knew as grad students or who are now faculty at that school. It also has to do with whether or not programs are able to fund their grad students and their research.

I think asking faculty themselves how they see the tiers of the programs you've applied to. Like others are saying, this shouldn't be a determining factor, per se, however if you're hoping at all to stay in academia after you're finished check out the link above to get a sense of placements, they indicate you are FAR more likely to get hired in academia if you go to an Ivy or "top" program than otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I know this a comment on an older post but as applications for programs are about to go in full swing again, I thought I'd share somethings I've learned throughout my graduate career.

There will be several universities that are still considered prestigious because of their history and not their current program. This is an important thing to remember when looking for the right program. Popular Opinion: Michigan, Arizona State, and UChicago remain some of the top anthropology programs that come to people's mind. 

There are multiple factors that should go into deciding which university is the best for you:

1) Recognition is important but once you begin networking at conferences and conducting your own research, you will be judged on this more than the university you attend.

2) An advisor that can help you grow both academically and personally. Graduate school is demanding and people often get discouraged. Its beneficial to have an advisor that care about you as a person and not just as a academic student. You also want to find someone that can help grow your skillset. 

3) University resources and relationships. I chose the university I am attending now because of the relationship and collaboration with the Indigenous tribes in the area. This was extremely important to me. This would include funding opportunities, equipment, TA/RA positions. If you are accepted to Michigan and UNC: Chapel Hill but only UNC is offering funding - go and don't worry about Michigan. TA/RA positions also make a difference because these should be helping build your CV and not just being thrown in something that isn't applicable to your future career goals. 

4) An advisor with resources and recognition. I believe this is actually more important than the university. My GF (who is also an archaeologist) was accepted to UChicago and Duke but chose her current university because of the faculty member that would be her advisor. He has much more recognition and resources in her particular interest than Duke or UChicago could offer her for what she was interested in. 

Overall, find the university that fits you best. At a certain point the level of recognition a university has doesn't matter as long as you are getting the resources to make yourself stand out.