MPP/MPA for Fall 2021

tpip123

Starting this thread to see how folks are feeling about their applications for MPA/MPPs this fall. I just got an acceptance letter from CIPA at Cornell, and still waiting for:

Goldman School MPP, Duke Sanford, Evans School @ UW, La Follette School @ UWisconsin, Luskin School @ UCLA. 

How are you all feeling?? Any hopes? Any lingering questions? 

12 hours ago, tpip123 said:

Starting this thread to see how folks are feeling about their applications for MPA/MPPs this fall. I just got an acceptance letter from CIPA at Cornell, and still waiting for:

Goldman School MPP, Duke Sanford, Evans School @ UW, La Follette School @ UWisconsin, Luskin School @ UCLA. 

How are you all feeling?? Any hopes? Any lingering questions? 

Unless CIPA is fully funding you, I would not go there. Granted Cornell is a great name and CIPA is trying strategically reposition itself... its like Stanford MPP - great University but not so great program. CIPA is a young program still trying to figure itself out and still doesn't have strong track record yet (AKA: Alumni + career base)

Your other options are much better than CIPA.

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

So far I've been accepted to Harris with $15k a year in funding. Still waiting to hear back from Sanford and LBJ. 

Since I want to focus on tech policy, Sanford's concentration is appealing. But Harris' heavy quant focus and curriculum flexibility really draw me in too. My end goal is to end up at a policy research firm. 

I'm probably getting ahead of myself since I don't technically have a choice to make yet, but I'm curious what others think!

• 2 weeks later...

@nkrish21Congrats on Johns Hopkins!

I hadn't heard about GSPP early decisions... did you have to submit earlier than the Dec 2 deadline to be considered for early decision? On the GSPP website they say admissions decisions should come out early/mid March, so I'm curious if you see a different timeline somewhere. Fingers crossed!

1 minute ago, tpip123 said:

@nkrish21Congrats on Johns Hopkins!

I hadn't heard about GSPP early decisions... did you have to submit earlier than the Dec 2 deadline to be considered for early decision? On the GSPP website they say admissions decisions should come out early/mid March, so I'm curious if you see a different timeline somewhere. Fingers crossed!

https://gspp.berkeley.edu/programs/masters-of-public-affairs-mpa/applying-for-the-mpa 

this mentions early Feb for applications submitted on Dec 1

Did anyone make contact with professors at their dream program before applying? I had a lovely chat with someone at GSPP ( an adjunct), and I have no idea if that might help my chances. I can't believe how slowly time is crawling by.

21 minutes ago, doublethinkplus said:

Did anyone make contact with professors at their dream program before applying? I had a lovely chat with someone at GSPP ( an adjunct), and I have no idea if that might help my chances. I can't believe how slowly time is crawling by.

Adjuncts have no power. The only people that matter are those who are in the admissions committee - which is usually select staff, tracked professors, and the professor who is rotated in with an admissions responsibility. 

Now, it is hypothetically possible for an influential professor vouch for you to the admissions committee if he/she thinks you have potential for his/her research purposes. I have seen that happen. However, that can't be done last minute. Usually times come from a pre-existing research relationships (for example professional or from undergrad). 

• 2 weeks later...

looking for opinions on how others might rank the following programs (assuming accepted to all)

SPIA - MPP

SAIS - MIPP

Sanford - MPP

McCourt - MPP

American - MPP

Edited by TMRII

1 hour ago, TMRII said:

looking for opinions on how others might rank the following programs (assuming accepted to all)

SPIA - MPP

SAIS - MIPP

Sanford - MPP

McCourt - MPP

American - MPP

I think Top 3 really depends on what you want to do.

If you want to focus on Data with an IR flair - SAIS is #1

Local & State + Non-Profit - Sanford #1

Focused Research Opportunities - SPIA #1

I would avoid American period.

McCourt is complicated. If you care about padding your resume and learning applied data - it works for you - just be prepared to go alone. The culture of McCourt is professionally terrible and policy areas outside of their core focus areas can be difficult to build a career off of. 

5 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

I think Top 3 really depends on what you want to do.

If you want to focus on Data with an IR flair - SAIS is #1

Local & State + Non-Profit - Sanford #1

Focused Research Opportunities - SPIA #1

I would avoid American period.

McCourt is complicated. If you care about padding your resume and learning applied data - it works for you - just be prepared to go alone. The culture of McCourt is professionally terrible and policy areas outside of their core focus areas can be difficult to build a career off of. 

I don't think anyone should ever choose SAIS (and definitely not Sanford) over SPIA, especially if SPIA is fully funded. They're hardly in the same league regardless of what you want to do post-graduation.

1 minute ago, 2711383 said:

I don't think anyone should ever choose SAIS (and definitely not Sanford) over SPIA, especially if SPIA is fully funded. They're hardly in the same league regardless of what you want to do post-graduation.

from a brand perspective - you may likely be correct. However, opportunity matters more than brand. If you are interested in IR and take advantage the connections in DC. SPIA obviously has IR connections, but they are mostly academically based. The aperture is much larger at SAIS than SPIA. 

18 minutes ago, BinZh5551 said:

Anyone here has not heard from any programs? I didn't even get one interview. Does that mean that I won't get in any school? 

Really desperate now...

Most policy schools don't do interviews - especially with the rush of applications they have now - they don't have the the bandwidth for it. The only exception is for special scholarships.

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

1 minute ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

Most policy schools don't do interviews - especially with the rush of applications they have now - they don't have the for it. The only exception is for special scholarships.

Thanks! No one I know are applying for MPP. Big relief. thanks again!