2021 Journalism Masters Programs

hippo

8 minutes ago, caffeinecoffeetay said:

Yeah, I did yesterday about a couple hours after I found out about my acceptance. It's in an email and they break it up for you. Like mine said I won 15,000 in scholarship and qualified for 20,000 in federal loans, so in total it said 35,000 would cover that cost. It also sent a link to their student account federal form.

I don't know how the process is that their emailing with, but this is all I know at least

When you login to your app portal do you see any info about it there? I'm just wondering if I should email and ask.

Just now, MissWorld19 said:

When you login to your app portal do you see any info about it there? I'm just wondering if I should email and ask.

No I didn't see it in my admissions portal, I just received it as a seperateĀ email.

I would email for clarification if you don't hear back soon. Hopefully you got some aid!

41 minutes ago, caffeinecoffeetay said:

No I didn't see it in my admissions portal, I just received it as a seperateĀ email.

I would email for clarification if you don't hear back soon. Hopefully you got some aid!

Yeah, fingers crossed! If I don't get an email by Fri I'll shoot them a mail :)

Ā 

What program did you get into, if you don't mind me asking?? And are you definitely going to go??

18 minutes ago, MissWorld19 said:

Yeah, fingers crossed! If I don't get an email by Fri I'll shoot them a mail :)

Ā 

What program did you get into, if you don't mind me asking?? And are you definitely going to go??

I got into the M.S. program, but I don't think I'm going to go. The financial aid offered at CUNY and Northwestern were much better and I wouldn't have to take out $100,000 in loans to cover schooling. It's disappointing, but I really don't want to be crippled by debt before I even start my career.

29 minutes ago, caffeinecoffeetay said:

I got into the M.S. program, but I don't think I'm going to go. The financial aid offered at CUNY and Northwestern were much better and I wouldn't have to take out $100,000 in loans to cover schooling. It's disappointing, but I really don't want to be crippled by debt before I even start my career.

I'm in the exact same boat and I'm thinking the same... the thought of tackling on so much debt is really scary. I'm debating between CUNY/Northwestern as well and am still waiting from NYU but I feel like they will barely give financial aid too if I get in.Ā 

Edited by anna23

2 hours ago, anna23 said:

I'm in the exact same boat and I'm thinking the same... the thought of tackling on so much debt is really scary. I'm debating between CUNY/Northwestern as well and am still waiting from NYU but I feel like they will barely give financial aid too if I get in.Ā 

I'm also probably going to choose between CUNY and Northwestern. CUNY is SO affordable that I would only have to take out student loans for living expenses, and although I haven't heard back from Northwestern on my financial aid package, it's still half the price of Columbia.Ā Taking out a student loan that is almost the size of a mortgage just seems too much for me to bear. I received a scholarship from Stanford, but am still leaning toward the other two.

3 hours ago, journo5 said:

Northwestern Round 2 Folks: Have you heard back on scholarships?? Iā€™m wondering if I should officially throw in the towel soon and assume Iā€™m not getting any scholarship money from them, which would mean Iā€™m declining their offerĀ 

I spoke to someone and they said we should hear by tomorrow or Monday at the latest!Ā 

On 3/17/2021 at 1:38 AM, grahamgs said:

Congrats to all who are hearing back today! Very exciting. Has anyone heard from NYU literary reportage?Ā Still waiting on my end...

Have you received anything yet? I also applied to LitRep and am losing my mind

13 hours ago, egyptjourno said:

Have you received anything yet? I also applied to LitRep and am losing my mind

I havenā€™t heard from NYU at all... Iā€™m in a different specialization but stillĀ ?Ā I tried emailing but havenā€™t gotten a response yet.

On 3/17/2021 at 6:25 PM, yot said:

I'm also probably going to choose between CUNY and Northwestern. CUNY is SO affordable that I would only have to take out student loans for living expenses, and although I haven't heard back from Northwestern on my financial aid package, it's still half the price of Columbia.Ā Taking out a student loan that is almost the size of a mortgage just seems too much for me to bear. I received a scholarship from Stanford, but am still leaning toward the other two.

Yeah, I really wanted to go to Columbia but I canā€™t imagine just having that much debt over me. Iā€™ve been trying to ask people what they would do in my situation.Ā Are you leaning towards CUNY/Northwestern more?? Also I canā€™t believe you got into Stanford with a scholarship and arenā€™t going! That was the one school that rejected me. Congrats!Ā 

Edited by anna23

20 hours ago, anna23 said:

I havenā€™t heard from NYU at all... Iā€™m in a different specialization but stillĀ ?Ā I tried emailing but havenā€™t gotten a response yet.

Hi!! Same here. I applied to the Reporting the Nation & New York track, haven't heard anything. No email, no phone call, no update on the portal.

For my USC people, how did you find out your decisions? I applied to the MA Specialized Journalism program and have yet to receive anythingā€”no updates, no changesā€”just a statement that my application is completed and has been submitted. I tried emailing them, but receivedĀ only automated messages back that "decisions come out in late March" when I know that isn't complete true.

Ā I'm just so lost...

9 hours ago, caffeinecoffeetay said:

For my USC people, how did you find out your decisions? I applied to the MA Specialized Journalism program and have yet to receive anythingā€”no updates, no changesā€”just a statement that my application is completed and has been submitted. I tried emailing them, but receivedĀ only automated messages back that "decisions come out in late March" when I know that isn't complete true.

Ā I'm just so lost...

Ā 

They will send you an email containing a link, use that link to sign up/login in another system, then you can see the update of the status.

9 hours ago, llleee said:

Ā 

They will send you an email containing a link, use that link to sign up/login in another system, then you can see the update of the status.

Yeah, I already did this awhile ago when I first applied in December. There hasn't been any updates on it and each time I reach out it's the same response "late March".

On 3/19/2021 at 12:01 AM, anna23 said:

I spoke to someone and they said we should hear by tomorrow or Monday at the latest!Ā 

Did anyone hear from Northwestern about Round 2 scholarships? I've emailed themĀ and haven't gotten any response - I'm assuming by now if there hasn't been an email I'm not receiving anything right? Just trying to figure this out so I can make my decision!

• 4 weeks later...

Was pretty keen on NYU (deposit down) but got off the waitlist for Northwestern and feeling a big unclearĀ (both magazine track)!! I think I want NYU because better location for jobs, seems like massive internship connects, and I prefer the longer program. Would I be making a big mistake? Both amazing programs Iā€™m so grateful but I could use some insight if anyone has!!Ā 

17 hours ago, Zb17 said:

Was pretty keen on NYU (deposit down) but got off the waitlist for Northwestern and feeling a big unclearĀ (both magazine track)!! I think I want NYU because better location for jobs, seems like massive internship connects, and I prefer the longer program. Would I be making a big mistake? Both amazing programs Iā€™m so grateful but I could use some insight if anyone has!!Ā 

I was deciding between them as well as ended up going with Northwestern! I feel like since the program is shorter and it's way cheaper to live in Chicago, I feel like saving that money is a big deal. I also feel like Northwestern has really tried hard to connect with students and the professors have been more readily available to answer questions and connect with. Also with the money you save, you could move to NYC after you finish! But I think they're both great programs so you couldn't go wrong either way.

On 4/20/2021 at 1:11 PM, Zb17 said:

ahhh both are such amazing schools!!Ā 

On 4/21/2021 at 6:29 AM, jennifer7 said:

I was deciding between them as well as ended up going with Northwestern! I feel like since the program is shorter and it's way cheaper to live in Chicago, I feel like saving that money is a big deal. I also feel like Northwestern has really tried hard to connect with students and the professors have been more readily available to answer questions and connect with. Also with the money you save, you could move to NYC after you finish! But I think they're both great programs so you couldn't go wrong either way.

I second that both are great programs so you can't go wrong! Saving money and funding is a biiiiig factor though, I agree. Congrats on Northwestern!

• 2 weeks later...