2021 Journalism Masters Programs

hippo

41 minutes ago, barmilena said:

just heard back from NYU!  accepted to the Business and Economic Reporting MA with some financial aid. I thought I was out actually, cause I didn't get a phone call, but maybe they didn't call because I don't have an US number. 

Congrats!!

44 minutes ago, lineal said:

Also waiting for Columbia! Will we get the financial aid information at the same time than the acceptance?

I assume so. Do they send out acceptances on the weekend or will we be waiting till Monday to hear back!?!?!

5 hours ago, lineal said:

Also waiting for Columbia! Will we get the financial aid information at the same time than the acceptance?

I actually think we receive the financial package afterwards, similar to Medill. This is just based off of my understanding on what’s displayed on the website.

Has anyone emailed Columbia to see if we’re finding out this weekend or on Monday? 

Edited by caffeinecoffeetay

A former student told me it actually takes a bit more time! Which is a bummer because my financial aid (as many of you, I assume) is ultimately what is going to drive my decision!!

Haven't emailed Columbia but I'd say Monday. I'd find it weird to hear back on a Sunday.

5 minutes ago, Journo99 said:

Are we sure that we don't find out until this page is updated? Has anyone else tried emailing or calling.

It’s pretty easy to update a page on the site in a few seconds. I believe we will start hearing from Columbia tomorrow.

On 3/12/2021 at 9:04 AM, journo5 said:

Congrats!!! And thanks for letting us know!! Really really hoping to also hear from Columbia and Berkeley financial aid today so I can start with the decision making this weekend, it’s gonna be tough. I’m also in at NYU, I think $$$ is going to be the biggest deciding factor for me. 

yeah financial aid is a big factor for me too. So far, berkeley is the best option financially as i'm a CA resident so can get in-state. Also, I know that TA positions ( although quite competitive) waives the tuition for in state at berkeley. This is just what I read in an article last year though so idk if that's still the case. 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

It’s pretty easy to update a page on the site in a few seconds. I believe we will start hearing from Columbia tomorrow.

Yep, I know it's easy... But I'm guiding myself through this page. I'll only be excited to hear from them when I see this page updated...

1 hour ago, doe123 said:

yeah financial aid is a big factor for me too. So far, berkeley is the best option financially as i'm a CA resident so can get in-state. Also, I know that TA positions ( although quite competitive) waives the tuition for in state at berkeley. This is just what I read in an article last year though so idk if that's still the case. 

I’m a CA resident too and got a $15,000/year scholarship — I think that’ll put it about on par with NYU with aid for me. The possibility of TA positions makes me lean toward Berkeley but it’s hard to get a sense of the chances of actually landing one

15 minutes ago, lineal said:

Yeah it's wild that Columbia has no option for TAing or helping professors somehow to make it more affordable :/.

Same with Northwestern I believe. It kinda sucks. I know I wouldn’t be offered a TA because I’m doing grad right after undergrad but imagine how much that would help those selected people. 

16 hours ago, doe123 said:

i got into northwestern! Got the email yesterday! Am pretty surprised but happy! Now just waiting on NYU and Columbia

Congrats on Northwestern! What programs at NYU and Columbia? I got a call about my 'unofficial acceptance' from NYU last week (!!!) but haven't gotten the official acceptance yet. And nothing from Columbia. Really hoping to hear from them today!!!

52 minutes ago, MissWorld19 said:

Congrats on Northwestern! What programs at NYU and Columbia? I got a call about my 'unofficial acceptance' from NYU last week (!!!) but haven't gotten the official acceptance yet. And nothing from Columbia. Really hoping to hear from them today!!!

I tried calling Columbia just now to ask when we should be hearing and they didnt answer :(  has anyone tried emailing 

41 minutes ago, Journo99 said:

I tried calling Columbia just now to ask when we should be hearing and they didnt answer :(  has anyone tried emailing 

I think they're working from home. I tried calling them when I submitted my app because I had a question about the payment and there was no answer/the person who emailed me back said they were WFH. So, I think e-mail is the only way to reach them!

17 minutes ago, SRA said:

Hey, Does any one have info about how many students are admitted for each M.A. concentration? Also, have more students applied for the M.A. program as compared to previous years?

I couldn't find any of that information on the Columbia website...

2 hours ago, ggnr said:

They usually respond to emails quite quickly... I had to send two emails at different times and they responded on the same day.

But let's wait, I think we'll hear from them soon :)

You’re lucky. I emailed them three times during the app process and still haven’t heard back once.