2021 Journalism Masters Programs

hippo

Anyone else kind of losing their minds waiting to hear back? Figured I'd start a thread in case anyone else is in the same boat. I applied to five programs... USC, Northwestern, Columbia, American, and UIS, with a politics/policy emphasis. I'd love to chat it up with other applicants, if anyone is out there. Thanks and stay well.

i've applied to USC, Berkeley, Columbia, NYU, Northwestern and am currently applying to boston university and american university for the international specialization ( although im still debating whether i should do the broadcasting speciality). haven't heard back from anyone and am suuuuuper nervous as well!

Glad to hear there are a few of us here! I see some folks note that they found their admissions decisions for American by logging into the website. Does anyone know what they mean by that? Do these people login to the application portal, and some kind of status change has happened?Ā 

1 hour ago, doe123 said:

I got invited for an interview for next week by Columbia and am very nervous. Not really sure what to expect and like you, not sure if it means I am in a good position or borderline. What was the interview like?Ā 

Cool, did you apply to a more specific program (i.e. stabile or data), or just the general MS?Ā 

The interview was nothing crazy, just a chance to expand on the application a bit and go more in depth on things. Nothing to stress over.

Thanks! That's helpful and good to know. i applied to the documentary program :)Ā i applied for a dual degree MIA and MS in journalism but haven't heard back from SIPA yet so we'll see whether i get into that program. Were the interviewers professors from the specialization you applied to? What program did you apply to at NYU? I applied to go the global journalism program.Ā 

So you two applied to the Data Journ and MS programs at Columbia, which had a deadline of December 15... and just had interviews or have them coming up.

I applied to the MA, which had a deadline 2.5 weeks after that, so I will tell myself not to be concerned that I did not receive a request for an inteview.

Yes, I'm losing my mind.

3 hours ago, doe123 said:

Thanks! That's helpful and good to know. i applied to the documentary program :)Ā i applied for a dual degree MIA and MS in journalism but haven't heard back from SIPA yet so we'll see whether i get into that program. Were the interviewers professors from the specialization you applied to? What program did you apply to at NYU? I applied to go the global journalism program.Ā 

One interviewer was a data professor, yeah. The other was someone on the admissions team.

I applied to Studio 20 at NYU. Columbia's data program is definitely my #1 choice though, fingers crossed on that one.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

So you two applied to the Data Journ and MS programs at Columbia, which had a deadline of December 15... and just had interviews or have them coming up.

I applied to the MA, which had a deadline 2.5 weeks after that, so I will tell myself not to be concerned that I did not receive a request for an inteview.

Yes, I'm losing my mind.

I'm not sure how common it is to be interviewed. From everything I've researched it seems to be more common if you're applying to a specialty rather than the general program, at least in the case of the MS. Haven't found anything on the MA though, but I wouldn't assume that an interview is required unless you've heard otherwise from others applying.

Oh that's interesting! I'm thinking i should probably read up on the professors in the documentary program to prepare myself on whoever it is.Ā  I hope you get into both programs!

Ā 

And I heard that too.. It appears that most people who applied to the general ms program with no specialization or the ma weren't sent invitations for interviews so it seems lie it might just be a specialization thing

On 2/5/2021 at 9:22 PM, console_logger said:

One interviewer was a data professor, yeah. The other was someone on the admissions team.

I applied to Studio 20 at NYU. Columbia's data program is definitely my #1 choice though, fingers crossed on that one.

I'm not sure how common it is to be interviewed. From everything I've researched it seems to be more common if you're applying to a specialty rather than the general program, at least in the case of the MS. Haven't found anything on the MA though, but I wouldn't assume that an interview is required unless you've heard otherwise from others applying.

Ā 

On 2/5/2021 at 8:11 PM, hippo said:

Yes, I'm losing my mind.

I wouldn't worry too much! The MA might not require an interview! Especially because you need three yearsĀ experience to apply to the MA right?Ā 

Ā 

Ahhh, here is the right forum! I posted this on another one by accident :) But these posts have me freaking out! I logged on here just to see if anyone knew when/how Columbia sends out their MA admissions decisions (still wondering if anyone knows!) and now I'm seeing things about an interview... I haven't been contacted for one! And I thought I remember reading when I applied there and NYU that neither of the schools do interviews? Does anybody know!?

Edited by MissWorld19

Just thought I'd report a data point for everyone.

I interviewed for the documentary specialization at Columbia earlier this week. It went by well. It was very casual, but I was very stiff because I was very nervous! Despite that, it flowed, and they asked me a lot of casual questions (how old are your kids?Ā would you move to NY?). They also asked 4 questions they give everyone. I would love to share the Q's, but I also don't want to give an unfair disadvantage to people who won't read this post. They seemed receptive to my unusual life experience. They did note that they tend to pick people who are artists with a minimum background in journalism, or journalist with a minimum background in art. I happen to be a little bit of both, so I hope I'm a good fit.Ā 

In addition, I got a phone call from USC's specialized journalism in documentary filmmaking--a fellow who runs the program. He seemed super enthusiastic about my application because of my life experience. In his words, "I'm very happy you applied," and "You're in."Ā He still has to run it by the committee, but he said he'd put in a very strong recommendation for me. I think that one is in the bag.

A little background: I have some experience in public radio, a solid background in photography, with a lot of research exposure in my sociology undergraduate degree. I have a bad overallĀ GPA (2.11) but my major and recent GPA is good (>3.8). Scored well on the GREs, which I reported to them (V: 75th percentile, Essay: 92nd percentile). The most interesting thing about my profile is that I'm an Iraq war veteran, and I'm very critical of that experience and what it says about America writ large.Ā 

I have some Ph.D. programs I'm waiting to hear from, but I increasingly doubt that is that way I want to go...

Edited by NeckPocket

2 hours ago, MissWorld19 said:

Ahhh, here is the right forum! I posted this on another one by accident :) But these posts have me freaking out! I logged on here just to see if anyone knew when/how Columbia sends out their MA admissions decisions (still wondering if anyone knows!) and now I'm seeing things about an interview... I haven't been contacted for one! And I thought I remember reading when I applied there and NYU that neither of the schools do interviews? Does anybody know!?

I applied for the MA also, and haven't received an interview request. I was told by the admissions office that they send out decisions in mid-March.

1 hour ago, NeckPocket said:

I interviewed for the documentary specialization at Columbia earlier this week. It went by well. It was very casual, but I was very stiff because I was very nervous! Despite that, it flowed, and they asked me a lot of casual questions (how old are your kids?Ā would you move to NY?). They also asked 4 questions they give everyone. I would love to share the Q's, but I also don't want to give an unfair disadvantage to people who won't read this post. They seemed receptive to my unusual life experience. They did note that they tend to pick people who are artists with a minimum background in journalism, or journalist with a minimum background in art. I happen to be a little bit of both, so I hope I'm a good fit.Ā 

In addition, I got a phone call from USC's specialized journalism in documentary filmmaking--a fellow who runs the program. He seemed super enthusiastic about my application because of my life experience. In his words, "I'm very happy you applied," and "You're in."Ā He still has to run it by the committee, but he said he'd put in a very strong recommendation for me. I think that one is in the bag.

A little background: I have some experience in public radio, a solid background in photography, with a lot of research exposure in my sociology undergraduate degree. I have a bad overallĀ GPA (2.11) but my major and recent GPA is good (>3.8). Scored well on the GREs, which I reported to them (V: 75th percentile, Essay: 92nd percentile). The most interesting thing about my profile is that I'm an Iraq war veteran, and I'm very critical of that experience and what it says about America writ large.Ā 

I have some Ph.D. programs I'm waiting to hear from, but I increasingly doubt that is that way I want to go...

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I applied for the Specialized Journalism program at SC as well, and have not received a call. When was your call? Did you get the impression it was only a call for the documentary specialization? I applied for something else.Ā 

2 hours ago, MissWorld19 said:

I applied to Columbia and NYU as well except I applied for the MS program for Columbia not MA but I am just as clueless as you when it comes to interviews. It looks like some people already got some response and others didn't. I completed my writing test but no clue what to expect in terms of interviews. Hoping we all hear back soon!

Ā 

1 hour ago, NeckPocket said:

Thank you for sharing!! Congrats on USC's program!Ā 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I applied for the Specialized Journalism program at SC as well, and have not received a call. When was your call? Did you get the impression it was only a call for the documentary specialization? I applied for something else.Ā 

My call was yesterday, and it was the person in charge of my particular specialization. Judging by how informal and relaxed the phone call was, it did not seem like it was a usual thing for him/her (don't want to give this person away). So I wouldn't worry if you don't get a phone call because I doubt other people received phone calls too.

1 hour ago, anna23 said:

I applied to Columbia and NYU as well except I applied for the MS program for Columbia not MA but I am just as clueless as you when it comes to interviews. It looks like some people already got some response and others didn't. I completed my writing test but no clue what to expect in terms of interviews. Hoping we all hear back soon!

Ā 

Thank you for sharing!! Congrats on USC's program!Ā 

Thank you so much! It's a huge relief to get into a good, reputable program.Ā 

On 2/12/2021 at 9:49 AM, NeckPocket said:

I too had my interview for Columbia on Thursday for the doc program! Idk how it went for me tho... They didnt really ask many any questions apart from the questions they ask everyone. i prepared alot for the interview but I still felt like it was kind of awkward and I just don'tĀ Ā feel very confident. So we'll see how that goes. I'm hoping it went better than i thought but idk. I have an interview tomorrow for berkeley's program so hoping that goes well! Good job on USC tho! That's incredible. I hope the best for you from Columbia as well! I think you being a vet with a critical lens is essential for journalism in general.Ā 

19 hours ago, doe123 said:

I too had my interview for Columbia on Thursday for the doc program! Idk how it went for me tho... They didnt really ask many any questions apart from the questions they ask everyone. i prepared alot for the interview but I still felt like it was kind of awkward and I just don'tĀ Ā feel very confident. So we'll see how that goes. I'm hoping it went better than i thought but idk. I have an interview tomorrow for berkeley's program so hoping that goes well! Good job on USC tho! That's incredible. I hope the best for you from Columbia as well! I think you being a vet with a critical lens is essential for journalism in general.Ā 

Good luck with your interview at Berkeley! You've got one interview in your back pocket, so you have a bit of an idea of how it'll go.Ā 

On 2/15/2021 at 4:25 PM, NeckPocket said:

Good luck with your interview at Berkeley! You've got one interview in your back pocket, so you have a bit of an idea of how it'll go.Ā 

Thank you! i think it went alright, fingers crossed though!Ā