Comp Lit 2021 Applicants

12 hours ago, harleth said:

yes! the one in the results board is me actually ?  got the (informal for now) email late last night and have been buzzing since. i don't know if they've sent out all of them or what their status is otherwise. good luck to you both!

Congrats! If you don’t mind me asking, do you have (or are working towards) a master’s degree? It seems like it’s becoming more difficult for people right out of college... 

1 hour ago, literature said:

Congrats! If you don’t mind me asking, do you have (or are working towards) a master’s degree? It seems like it’s becoming more difficult for people right out of college... 

thank you! yes, i am in a master's now. that sucks if admissions are moving toward admitting fewer ppl with just a BA, it becomes another barrier to entry considering how hard it can be to come across funded master's.... 

it's hard to figure out a pattern from current grad student profiles, since not everyone includes year of entry and previous education, but from what i could suss out last year Harvard Comp Lit took at least one person straight out of undergrad and one person with an MFA (fwiw!). cornell has a few points in their FAQs about how they assess MA/non-MA applicants, and i once heard from a prof that adcoms look at master's differently depending on if they're funded or self-paid--anyway, like anything in grad cafe this is just guesswork and hearsay.

44 minutes ago, harleth said:

thank you! yes, i am in a master's now. that sucks if admissions are moving toward admitting fewer ppl with just a BA, it becomes another barrier to entry considering how hard it can be to come across funded master's.... 

it's hard to figure out a pattern from current grad student profiles, since not everyone includes year of entry and previous education, but from what i could suss out last year Harvard Comp Lit took at least one person straight out of undergrad and one person with an MFA (fwiw!). cornell has a few points in their FAQs about how they assess MA/non-MA applicants, and i once heard from a prof that adcoms look at master's differently depending on if they're funded or self-paid--anyway, like anything in grad cafe this is just guesswork and hearsay.

Yeah... the way I see it is that, basically, someone with a master’s is just objectively more competitive because they have more training and more knowledge. It’s harder to justify rejecting someone from a (good and/or funded) master’s program in favor of a student straight out of undergrad, especially with fewer spots being available. 

Logged in to portal to find that I was rejected from Yale comp lit (after an okay interview which got my hopes up). Completely crushed. Gonna allow myself to wallow and feel all the feelings for a few days and then take a deep breath and pick myself back up on Monday.

Edited by factical.illusion

9 minutes ago, factical.illusion said:

Logged in to portal to find that I was rejected from Yale comp lit (after an okay interview which got my hopes up). Completely crushed. Gonna allow myself to wallow and feel all the feelings for a few days and then take a deep breath and pick myself back up on Monday.

Sorry bud. I know the feeling. I cried hard after my 2 rejections and was surprised by how quickly I recovered the next day.  It's amazing you got an interview during this brutal year :) and something amazing will come your way.

7 minutes ago, Appiah4 said:

Did anybody hear anything from the Comparative Thought and Literature program at Johns Hopkins? 

I am at Hopkins (not in CTL though) and an admitted student visited one of my seminars the other day. So I deduce that acceptances have gone out.

Just now, factical.illusion said:

Yeah, I'm already in a PhD program, so I really can't complain at all. Rejection is redirection (or in my case, hunkering down and focusing)

ugh, was rooting for you! got the generic rejection in the portal and it feels so much colder somehow after interviewing. glad i got some good news earlier this week & that you're already in a program, but honestly it's been rough.

i 'splurged' on some non-screw top wine to celebrate/wallow and highly recommend it! wish i could get you all wine/beverage of choice and thanks for being such a supportive/non-toxic bunch ❤️ 

24 minutes ago, harleth said:

ugh, was rooting for you! got the generic rejection in the portal and it feels so much colder somehow after interviewing. glad i got some good news earlier this week & that you're already in a program, but honestly it's been rough.

i 'splurged' on some non-screw top wine to celebrate/wallow and highly recommend it! wish i could get you all wine/beverage of choice and thanks for being such a supportive/non-toxic bunch ❤️ 

You too huh? ? Yeah, the only thing I'm frustrated and peeved about is the cold rejection after *a lot* of correspondence in the year leading up to it.

And well, I mean, I *guess* Harvard is alright... ;)  but seriously, congrats that's absolutely amazing.

1 hour ago, factical.illusion said:

You too huh? ? Yeah, the only thing I'm frustrated and peeved about is the cold rejection after *a lot* of correspondence in the year leading up to it.

And well, I mean, I *guess* Harvard is alright... ;)  but seriously, congrats that's absolutely amazing.

thank you, am thrilled and it's given me some immunity to the yale cold shoulder. good luck with hunkering down and focusing!

13 minutes ago, buendia.macando said:

Anyone have intel on Princeton?

still radio silence from them for me. looks like last year they sent rejections out on feb 24 ?

Edited by harleth

4 minutes ago, harleth said:

still radio silence from them on my end from them. looks like last year they sent rejections out on feb 24 ?

I know ? the suspense is killing me. It doesn't look like they do interviews which makes it even more mysterious :( 

Edited by buendia.macando

i'm pretty much holding out hope now on only one place, and for German. I spoke with a POI last year and he said that they interview. i don't want to be That Guy who emails the department to ask if all interview requests have gone out, but i'm tempted bc apps were extended to the end of jan, and they say they also continue to review on a rolling basis. so i would imagine that by now, they would have decided if they want to interview me or not...? idk, if anyone has any thoughts or input into this situation. i feel crummy l o l

21 minutes ago, harleth said:

got my form email rejection from princeton today... @buendia.macando hope you had better luck!

Me too. I wasn't too optimistic in the first place but I'm happy to have an answer so I can start planning for other programs. Oh well, can't say we didn't try!

1 hour ago, angrychalupa said:

i'm pretty much holding out hope now on only one place, and for German. I spoke with a POI last year and he said that they interview. i don't want to be That Guy who emails the department to ask if all interview requests have gone out, but i'm tempted bc apps were extended to the end of jan, and they say they also continue to review on a rolling basis. so i would imagine that by now, they would have decided if they want to interview me or not...? idk, if anyone has any thoughts or input into this situation. i feel crummy l o l

:(((( I wish you the best of luck! Did you hear back from Cornell lol... that was so sketch 

3 hours ago, literature said:

:(((( I wish you the best of luck! Did you hear back from Cornell lol... that was so sketch 

thanks! i need it hai'mlosingit. I was one of the second wave of Cornell rejections. I did put down German as a secondary department for them, but I doubt I'll get into that program. Their Comp Lit was a better fit for me than their German dept is.

6 hours ago, angrychalupa said:

fwiw i imagine it wouldn't hurt to ask about where they are in the process. might shorten the waiting period if nothing else? fingers crossed for you

On 2/13/2021 at 2:51 AM, TheorySchmeory said:

Is anyone else applying to / does anyone have any insider knowledge about SUNY Binghamton's Comp Lit PhD?

Hey, I got accepeted but with no funding, which I found little bit odd, no metions of a waitlist. I was wondering if they offered other people department funding. Did you hear from them?

On 3/1/2021 at 3:21 PM, sabelat said:

Hey, I got accepeted but with no funding, which I found little bit odd, no metions of a waitlist. I was wondering if they offered other people department funding. Did you hear from them?

Yup, accepted with no funding, though I am apparently on their waitlist for TAships. I have a funded offer so I don't plan on attending.

On 2/13/2021 at 12:51 AM, TheorySchmeory said:

Is anyone else applying to / does anyone have any insider knowledge about SUNY Binghamton's Comp Lit PhD?

I'm currently in the Comp Lit PhD at Binghamton and applying to other programs which might already tell you something about it but DM me (and anyone else interested) if you want more insider knowledge! Happy to share the department's strengths as well as the reasons I'm trying to leave :)