Comp Lit 2021 Applicants

Longtime lurker here—just got into the comp lit MA at Dartmouth (and I'm thrilled!). I've seen a few acceptances on the board, so I'm wondering if anyone else is lurking here too. I'd be curious if anyone has any impressions of the program or the college, especially since the acceptance email didn't offer much info (no mention of any kind of virtual visit or even how to get in touch).

Also, hi to you all! I've been following along from the sidelines for... too long now.

48 minutes ago, angrychalupa said:

Quick question for anyone who knows the answer: what exactly is this "healthy coping" i hear of?

I honestly can't remember the last time I've been this anxious / depressed and I'm having trouble dealing. I keep wondering if it's just me? I've kind of accepted it at this point. I do think it's exacerbated by COVID given the limited options of things to do and being unemployed atm. I at least try to journal every day, exercise, and go into youtube-rabbit holes. Honestly I feel like I'm having an existential breakdown that revolves around my deep-seated fear of failure and rejection ;( 

5 minutes ago, buendia.macando said:

I honestly can't remember the last time I've been this anxious / depressed and I'm having trouble dealing. I keep wondering if it's just me? I've kind of accepted it at this point. I do think it's exacerbated by COVID given the limited options of things to do and being unemployed atm. I at least try to journal every day, exercise, and go into youtube-rabbit holes. Honestly I feel like I'm having an existential breakdown that revolves around my deep-seated fear of failure and rejection ;( 

Trust me, its not just you :(

Anyone else here confused by the WUSTL results? One rejection and one acceptance (which seems continuous from an earlier interview?) were posted today. I thought WUSTL didn't have interviews based on historical result page. I haven't heard a word from them and now I'm honestly confused. Is it because of the different joint programs they do??

Edited by mnelmcar07

50 minutes ago, AdiCallai said:

does anyone know if you're expected to send follow-ups to POI's or adcom members after interviews? "lovely talking to you" etc?

From what I can tell, it’s a nice gesture (some profs might even expect it, even as a formality). Just keep it simple: a thanks, a reiteration of some of the points if you want, and maybe an invitation to ask further questions. It shouldn’t be anything that makes it seem like you want a response. You want to show you’re serious and interested but also know that they’re busy. That’s what I’ve done.

There are some threads about this here too

Edited by factical.illusion

2 hours ago, factical.illusion said:

From what I can tell, it’s a nice gesture (some profs might even expect it, even as a formality). Just keep it simple: a thanks, a reiteration of some of the points if you want, and maybe an invitation to ask further questions. It shouldn’t be anything that makes it seem like you want a response. You want to show you’re serious and interested but also know that they’re busy. That’s what I’ve done.

There are some threads about this here too

Thank you!

I looked up other threads and did notice this suggestion, which seemed worth thinking about:

On 1/25/2016 at 6:21 PM, Rohanps said:

As I interview at my workplace, I occasionally receive them and they always come off as needy and "try-hard". I'd suggest avoiding sending them entirely.

46 minutes ago, AdiCallai said:

As I interview at my workplace, I occasionally receive them and they always come off as needy and "try-hard". I'd suggest avoiding sending them entirely.

I mean, sure, that could be a response, too. But it just highlights that it completely depends, not just on the program, but the individual. In any case, it's highly unlikely that whether or not you send a post-interview email will be a deciding factor in your application case.

Personally, I do it just so I can have that much longer of a communication thread, and so I can read too much into a response (if I get one) to keep my morale up (i.e., so-and-so said it was a "great conversation!" WITH an exclamation point, so I convince myself it's only a good sign).

Has anyone heard anything from Emory Comp Lit? According to the data from past years their interview requests would have gone out already, but I haven't seen anything. 

(sorry for the repeated post from the other group, I just wasn't sure who checks what)

1 hour ago, semiotic_mess said:

Has anyone heard anything from Emory Comp Lit? According to the data from past years their interview requests would have gone out already, but I haven't seen anything. 

I applied, and I have not heard anything. My application began being reviewed after 20th of last month.

6 minutes ago, semiotic_mess said:

What do you mean/how do you know your application was being reviewed after the 20th?

It was transferred to CL from Eng on the 20th, after I realised I had made a mistake and submitted my app to Eng instead.

3 minutes ago, LtotheOG said:

It was transferred to CL from Eng on the 20th, after I realised I had made a mistake and submitted my app to Eng instead.

Ah, I see. That is great that you were able to transfer the app! If they accepted it on the 20th, then they most likely aren't on the same timeline as last year (sending interview invites around then). But I'm curious if the lack of interview invites maybe means they aren't doing them this year? Who knows. This year is wack

On 2/6/2021 at 2:18 AM, untimeliness said:

Longtime lurker here—just got into the comp lit MA at Dartmouth (and I'm thrilled!). I've seen a few acceptances on the board, so I'm wondering if anyone else is lurking here too. I'd be curious if anyone has any impressions of the program or the college, especially since the acceptance email didn't offer much info (no mention of any kind of virtual visit or even how to get in touch).

Also, hi to you all! I've been following along from the sidelines for... too long now.

Got into Dartmouth too, and also thrilled! I reached out to some profs I'm interested in working with, and they were very nice. Good luck :)

I'm also waiting on Cornell... no news from them

3 hours ago, literature said:

Got into Dartmouth too, and also thrilled! I reached out to some profs I'm interested in working with, and they were very nice. Good luck :)

I'm also waiting on Cornell... no news from them

Good luck with Cornell! I'm also waiting to hear from a few phd programs, but I'll be curious to hear if you end up picking Dartmouth.

40 minutes ago, untimeliness said:

Good luck with Cornell! I'm also waiting to hear from a few phd programs, but I'll be curious to hear if you end up picking Dartmouth.

Thanks! I forgot to answer the other part of your post. From what I gathered from professors I talked to, the Dartmouth program seems to be prestigious and well-known, and is considered a sort of “feeder school” for the best PhD programs, since many of its alumni end up at prestigious institutions to continue their studies.

I think if I get into a PhD, it’s hard for me to take the MA offer just because I see the MA as a sort of preparation for a PhD. Otherwise, I would not hesitate to go: the professors are amazing, and so are the resources.

Hi all. So happy to see a comp lit thread on here!

My focus is Slavic languages/lit but, due the number of programs not taking applications this cycle, I applied to one comp lit and one straight lit program as well. 

I've heard from three (two rejections, one acceptance) and am waiting to hear from three more.

It is so funny (in a musing but miserable kind way) how stressful all of this is. I went to grad school for my MA about a million years ago, in the early era of electronic applications and before this site existed. Somehow, it both felt less stressful but also a whole lot lonelier back then. (I was also young, naive and extremely confident in my application package, so I had no doubts about getting in to schools back then...)

If I am going to have to be anxious this time around, at least I have all you lovely folks who can commiserate with my/our collective plight!

Sending good thoughts to you all for positive news before the weekend!

I received a rejection from Duke's PhD program.

Not surprised! As I talked with my professor about it and they said there is some academic political beef with a potential advisor I was interested in. And I don't think it was the best fit.

Academia is so strange. 

18 hours ago, Gradcafeusername said:

Just accepted at UMich. Hoping to connect with others who were accepted. 

Hi, congrats! I got in as well. I'm stoked :)

Happy to connect.

A PoI at a different institution said my project might fit at UMich, and I applied, not expecting anything as the professor I had in mind hadn't responded to my query. Now I've been frantically trying to find out as much as I can about the place. I'd be curious to hear what other folks here think about their program.