PsyD/Counselling psychology interview questions

I can only speak about Counseling questions (didn’t apply to/interview with PsyD programs), but the questioning on social justice was intense and very self-reflective. Examples:

• What does social justice mean to you?
  • When was the last time you made a micro aggression? What did you do about it?
  • Do you have any recommendations for social justice media - podcasts, books, articles?
  • What is cultural competence? Do you consider yourself to be culturally competent?
  • What part of your identity, cultural background, or personal biases will affect your work with clients?
  • You have a client with [insert client info], what will you need to take into consideration if they express suicidal ideation?

For a better understanding, I would do some research on situation interviews and how to answer those questions. Keep in mind that I think the professors know that these are “big” questions and aren’t looking for perfection, just for you to show you’re aware and humble. Good luck!

19 hours ago, frazyfar said:

I can only speak about Counseling questions (didn’t apply to/interview with PsyD programs), but the questioning on social justice was intense and very self-reflective. Examples:

• Do you have any recommendations for social justice media - podcasts, books, articles?
  • What is cultural competence? Do you consider yourself to be culturally competent?
  • What part of your identity, cultural background, or personal biases will affect your work with clients?
  • You have a client with [insert client info], what will you need to take into consideration if they express suicidal ideation?

For a better understanding, I would do some research on situation interviews and how to answer those questions. Keep in mind that I think the professors know that these are “big” questions and aren’t looking for perfection, just for you to show you’re aware and humble. Good luck!

Hi, thanks for your response. It's very helpful.

Would you also mind sharing what other questions you were asked during your interviews for counselling psychology programs? I mean, other than social justice-related ones. Many thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 8:51 AM, frazyfar said:

Is this aggregate or a specific programme, and if so, which one? If a specific programme, did you end up attending?

4 hours ago, Psyche007 said:

Is this aggregate or a specific programme, and if so, which one? If a specific programme, did you end up attending?

It’s an aggregate from this current application season; I’ve attended three Counseling interviews (and one Clinical, but I excluded examples from that interview because it wasn’t relevant to OP’s question). I’m in the offer stage at the moment so I have not begun attending. 

14 minutes ago, frazyfar said:

It’s an aggregate from this current application season; I’ve attended three Counseling interviews (and one Clinical, but I excluded examples from that interview because it wasn’t relevant to OP’s question). I’m in the offer stage at the moment so I have not begun attending. 

Gotcha, thank you.

On 2/6/2021 at 7:51 AM, frazyfar said:

These are great questions!