Career Advice: Is it hopeless? PhD Womens Studies

treya25

I'm so scared about the future and I just need some solid advice as to how to build my CV for jobs. I have an MA in Women's Studies and am doing a PhD in Women's studies right now focusing on queer health. I am also doing an MA in Religious Studies at the same time. I've TA'ed, RA'ed, and have several papers in review. Once I finish my second MA, I was thinking maybe I should do a third in Sociology, Political Science, Education, Epidemiology, or Art History to make myself more marketable so I could apply for professorships in those fields focusing on gender. I'm happy with my life and what I'm studying but when I think about job prospects it scares me. I want a job in academia. I'll survive if I need to go back to my previous social service sector work (I have a ton of work experience) but I'd like to take advantage of the flexibility I have during PhD to publish in an area that will increase the chances of me being able to stay in academia.

Any suggestions as to how I can best use my time in PhD to be more marketable. I'm very bad at math but I could perhaps take stats online a million times until I can force myself to learn quant. I could do a third masters--if so, any suggestions? I could start doing another research focus in a more marketable area. I can handle and balance a lot if need be. Any help is welcome. I just want to not feel hopeless anymore. Or should I just accept that an academic job will never happen and commit to some internal motivation to do PhD?

I would not put yourself through the stress/effort of acquiring a third MA. Having 2, and a P.h.D. is very impressive. If you have a good mentor, reach out to them for opportunities for peer-reviewed publications and such. You sound awesome! Wishing you the best

On 2/11/2021 at 4:41 PM, mx.marx said:

I would not put yourself through the stress/effort of acquiring a third MA. Having 2, and a P.h.D. is very impressive. If you have a good mentor, reach out to them for opportunities for peer-reviewed publications and such. You sound awesome! Wishing you the best

Thank you for the encouragement :) and your kind words 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If your current program requires you to do an outside field and gives flexibility to the fields you're required to do in your department, you may be able to find opportunities to develop skills that will give you a competitive advantage when it's time to look for work.