Going from an unranked MA program to reputable PhD... is it possible?

sonnybunny

Hi all, I hope this application cycle is treating you somewhat decently (or, if not, I hope at the very least that you are making it through with a shred of sanity left.) To get to the point, is it possible to go from an unranked MA program to a reputable PhD? The program I am referring to is at University of Colorado--Colorado Springs. I applied to only CU Boulder, but after a conversation with my POI, it appears that multiple faculty members in my field are now retiring, so my odds aren't looking that peachy. Therefore, I am looking at other options.

Another other option I have is to obtain an MLIS from the University of Denver and try to matriculate to a history PhD after.

For the sake of argument, both programs will cost me little to nothing at all. I will continue to work if I am accepted to either program. 

To add, I already applied last year and had to turn down multiple (unfunded) MA offers and I am absolutely itching to get back to school. I'm hoping to do it in the cheapest way possible, so applying yet again for another round is a pretty unattractive route for me to take. Thank you for any advice.

50 minutes ago, TMP said:

What is your ultimate goal and why?

Hi there, thank you for responding. Like many others, my ultimate goal would be to teach, but I know that tenure track is extremely unlikely. Teaching at the community college level or similar would be satisfying for me. Otherwise, I am open to other career paths in the archives field or within an academic library, if need be. 

At this point, getting a PhD is a personal, not strictly professional, goal of mine, but one that I am not willing to pay for. While I would love to be one of the rare candidates that actually obtains a tenured position, this is not a deal breaker for me. Therefore, I suppose I should rephrase my question: is it possible to go to a funded PhD from an unranked program? I am not necessarily looking for a top 10 program, just one that would allow me to get a PhD and not be up to my ears in student loans after.

12 hours ago, TMP said:

Got it.  Regardless, the answer is yes. As long as you can produce a strong writing sample (usually from a thesis), a clear, solid statement of purpose, and LORs, you have a shot (but no means guarantees!)

Thank you for your input, much appreciated.

11 minutes ago, telkanuru said:

I don't even know what an "unranked MA" means in a humanities context, TBH.

Good point. In this case I was arbitrarily using US News history graduate program rankings.  I know this isn’t necessarily the best system, but I was that was my parameter for the post. 

3 minutes ago, telkanuru said:

Oh, then yeah, that's doubly trash. If a place has enough money to help fund its MA students (and you shouldn't go otherwise), then it values the program enough that you'll get something good out of it.

That gave me a good chuckle. Thank you!

14 hours ago, telkanuru said:

Oh, then yeah, that's doubly trash. If a place has enough money to help fund its MA students (and you shouldn't go otherwise), then it values the program enough that you'll get something good out of it.

It's also worth bearing in mind that sometimes non-top MA programs (whatever that means to you) might surprise you by having funding. Mine didn't have a PhD program, so we were paid as TAs, and it also had paid internships as part of its public history program. So definitely look for MA funding -- it's hard to find, but out there!

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is old, but I went to an unranked, unfunded (do not do this) MA and managed to do pretty well in my application season. Imo the keys to getting into a PhD program are fit, an excellent SOP and a writing sample that showcases your ability to do original research and engage with historiography. And a bit of luck since you'll face fierce competition, even more so in the current climate/funding crunch than when I applied just 7 years ago. You can't control luck, so focus on the rest.