Sending an improved Writing Sample draft to a Waitlisted school?

polemicist

In addition to reaffirming one's interest in attending a program at which they've been waitlisted, would it ever be appropriate/advisable to send the relevant department an improved draft of their writing sample (or, if not the entire paper, then significantly improved sections of the paper?) Of course, it's best to avoid this situation by making one's submitted writing sample as strong and polished as possible before application deadlines or admissions decisions. 

In my case, my current draft is substantially stronger than the one I included in my application, and is much more reflective of my philosophical skills. Thus, I'm tempted to send it to the department in the event that it might factor into waitlist decisions leading up to April 15. If the new draft isn't read/considered, then there will be nothing lost on that front; but if it is read/reconsidered, then it could make all the difference.

But I'm unsure whether or not this will come off negatively in any way (in particular, I wouldn't want it to seem as if I'm expecting a reassessment of my writing sample or that an exception be made for me). Might it be a bad idea to send an improved writing sample to a program at which one is waitlisted but remains interested in attending?

Edited by polemicist

At this point (when you are being waitlisted) they probably aren't going to look at your material any closer. They already want you, and they are simplying prioritizing people based on factors like fit, faculty fit, how many people are working on your aoi, etc. So no I dont think it is worth it.