University of Washington vs Duke PhD Graduate Placements (or acadmic placements in general)

trynagetby

Hi all, my current top choices are between the University of Washington and Duke. University of Washington fits my research interests much more closely (Bayesian model/variable selection with applications in social sciences) and it seems like a really good program. However, when I look at their  recent alumni placements I can't help but notice that almost none of them go into academia, while it seems that 40% of Duke Alumni go into TT jobs.   Based on some cursory stalking only like 2 in the past 4 years of graduating classes landed TT positions. Does this indicate that the program is more geared (consciously or not) to producing Data science industry researchers? I think I'd also be happy at Duke as they also have fantastic people whos methodological research aligns with mine, so academic placements could definitely be a deal breaker.

Edited by trynagetby

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 8:31 PM, trynagetby said:

Hi all, my current top choices are between the University of Washington and Duke. University of Washington fits my research interests much more closely (Bayesian model/variable selection with applications in social sciences) and it seems like a really good program. However, when I look at their  recent alumni placements I can't help but notice that almost none of them go into academia, while it seems that 40% of Duke Alumni go into TT jobs.   Based on some cursory stalking only like 2 in the past 4 years of graduating classes landed TT positions. Does this indicate that the program is more geared (consciously or not) to producing Data science industry researchers? I think I'd also be happy at Duke as they also have fantastic people whos methodological research aligns with mine, so academic placements could definitely be a deal breaker.

I would go to UW, it seems to be a stronger program overall (both frequentist and Bayesian). Duke is almost solely Bayesian?

UW has had some decent academic placements recently and given how good some of their professors are, and how widely-known it is as a top department, I am sure that any pattern you are noticing is a result of self-selection and probably shouldn't be a big tipping point in your decision.  If you feel like Washington is a great fit for you, I don't think you can go wrong there.

If research at UW is better aligned with your interest, I'd vote for UW. You would also have much more choices at UW than Duke. As to academic placement, I think this is something more out of self-choice. Given the great location of UW and their prestigous department, it's not strange for most of their PhD graduates to be prone towards industry positions. But if you want to stay in academia, I believe UW is able to help you succeed just like what Duke could do.

Thank you all for you super helpful posts. I took everyones advice (over many different threads) and focused on the publications/student capacity of the advisors I'd like to work with. Ultimately I settled on Duke, but after hearing so much support for UWashington I hope I don't regret my decision haha.

You really couldn't have made a wrong choice. Duke is a great place (maybe the best place) for Bayesian statistics (e.g., Herring, Dunson). Your stipend will certainly go further in Durham than Seattle. Best of luck!