LBJ MPAff/MGPS Fall 2021

austin24

1 hour ago, EH4640 said:

Anyone else still waiting or heard of rejection letters being sent out? I applied mid-Jan and had an interview early Feb...Still keeping my fingers crossed!

I applied around the same time you did, but I haven't heard anything! Fingers crossed!

On 3/7/2021 at 2:01 PM, GradSchoolGrad said:

Ultimately, I recommend you consider what sphere of policy you want to matriculate into.

If you want to end up in:

a. Federal consulting

b. Capital Hill/Lobbying

c. Drive hard on data and be the 1-2 McCourt students a year who end up think tanks - then McCourt makes sense to you.

If you want to end up in:

a. Policy Innovation (lets be honest, the Federal Government and DC follows, it doesn't really lead)

b. State and Local policy (McCourt is very much structured towards all things Federal)

c. Anything related to Tech 

d. Policy discover/research (as in you have no idea what policy areas you are interested in and you just want to explore.

LBJ makes more sense to you.

Additionally, if you care about padding your resume with DC area internships and are okay with going it alone, McCourt makes sense to you. If you care about having a supportive community and strong collaboration/professional development, LBJ makes more sense for you.

I say all this because I had a McCourt classmate who transferred to LBJ because McCourt's policy focus areas were to cookie cutter for her and she wanted to focus on something unique and innovative. LBJ simply has way more policy focus areas that McCourt. Also, no one really considers culture prior to going to grad school, it is super important and can drive how well you do in the job market unless you are really mature. 

This is very helpful. I really appreciate the thorough response!

Did your classmate who transferred from McCourt to the LBJ School stay in Texas after graduation? I am fairly certain I want to start my career elsewhere and am concerned the name recognition of the LBJ School won't mean much outside of Texas. I know several people who went to the LBJ School that I can get firsthand information from, but not so much with McCourt.  

6 minutes ago, JHAl said:

This is very helpful. I really appreciate the thorough response!

Did your classmate who transferred from McCourt to the LBJ School stay in Texas after graduation? I am fairly certain I want to start my career elsewhere and am concerned the name recognition of the LBJ School won't mean much outside of Texas. I know several people who went to the LBJ School that I can get firsthand information from, but not so much with McCourt.  

I had two friends go to LBJ - one stayed in Texas (policy innovation girl) and the other swung back to Federal Consulting in DC. You are right, in DC, LBJ doesn't have as much brand recognition as Georgetown, BUT it is still a highly respected brand nonetheless. However, no one knows what McCourt is... just Georgetown

There is a McCourt forum that should answer most of your questions. I am also happy to answer anything else. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

21 hours ago, Twiste said:

Was accepted to Austin-based MPAff around 9 AM PT! Adding my bit here so that future lurkers will know how staggered these results are and that it's not over until it's over. Time to wait for funding information.

Good luck everyone!

Anyone know when funding news will go out? When we are fully inscribed?

49 minutes ago, Scrambles said:

Anyone know when funding news will go out? When we are fully inscribed?

I posted in another thread but funding information was attached to my original acceptance letter. My acceptance told me that I’d received a fellowship, and then a few days later I got an official funding letter from the school. Separately from the fellowship, my online portal also updated with financial aid info a couple days after my acceptance.

It’s a bit confusing, but I think only those that received fellowships were notified about funding. I hope I’m wrong and they come through with some money for you! 

1 hour ago, sassyscholar said:

I posted in another thread but funding information was attached to my original acceptance letter. My acceptance told me that I’d received a fellowship, and then a few days later I got an official funding letter from the school. Separately from the fellowship, my online portal also updated with financial aid info a couple days after my acceptance.

It’s a bit confusing, but I think only those that received fellowships were notified about funding. I hope I’m wrong and they come through with some money for you! 

Hmmm interesting.

Did you give UT physical copies of all your transcripts from the get-go?

16 minutes ago, Scrambles said:

Hmmm interesting.

Did you give UT physical copies of all your transcripts from the get-go?

No, I did not send them physical transcripts and my letter still said my admission was pending final approval until I send them final materials. My acceptance had this generic language:

You have received a fellowship, and will receive an official letter from the fellowships office via DocuSign within the next week. Please refrain from asking questions about fellowships until you’ve received your fellowship notification.

and then the official letter from the fellowships office came a few days later. 

3 hours ago, EH4640 said:

Just noticed this on my MyStatus -- not sure when it got there. Anyone else have this?

Attention: Your file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review.

Yeah, mine has been stuck there for a few months.

7 hours ago, LexiB1293 said:

I just submitted my application on the 15th so hopefully I’ll hear back soon!

Hi Lexi, I also submitted my application on 3/15. I was wondering if you could notify me if you hear from them. I will let you know mind if you like~?Thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2021 at 11:55 PM, Summer70 said:

Hi Lexi, I also submitted my application on 3/15. I was wondering if you could notify me if you hear from them. I will let you know mind if you like~?Thanks!!!

Hey Summer! I haven't heard back from yet, how about you??

hey y'all, question for those of you who have been accepted already (and congrats!):

i received an email last night (pretty generic) and all it said was that a decision had been made and to check the status page. is it safe to assume the answer is no, considering i haven't gotten a personalized email yet, and i've been seeing people post their personalized emails/letters...i guess my question is, what did the admittance route look like for you? multiple emails or what?

LBJ has been my dream school for a while, and i didn't have the strongest stats going in, so i'm really just anxiety-riddled at this point and can't get myself to open the email. i'm honestly just scared and having some insight will alleviate that.

chasing after your dreams is hard, and i'm so proud of everyone for doing it. 

25 minutes ago, caramelvibes said:

hey y'all, question for those of you who have been accepted already (and congrats!):

i received an email last night (pretty generic) and all it said was that a decision had been made and to check the status page. is it safe to assume the answer is no, considering i haven't gotten a personalized email yet, and i've been seeing people post their personalized emails/letters...i guess my question is, what did the admittance route look like for you? multiple emails or what?

LBJ has been my dream school for a while, and i didn't have the strongest stats going in, so i'm really just anxiety-riddled at this point and can't get myself to open the email. i'm honestly just scared and having some insight will alleviate that.

chasing after your dreams is hard, and i'm so proud of everyone for doing it. 

Hey! I know this time is so stressful, and I hope you’re taking care of yourself in whatever way you can. I can offer some insight from my own admissions experience if you believe it’ll help. I applied before the priority deadline and was admitted on 3/1. I got an email from the LBJ School that afternoon informing me of my acceptance. The “letter” was attached to the email, along with some other documents about quant readiness and admitted students day. A few hours later (around midnight, weird), I got a generic email from the GIAC informing me the university had made a decision on my admission and to check my status page.

Regardless of your results, I applaud your for putting yourself out there in a tough application cycle. I hope things work out for you! 

2 hours ago, sassyscholar said:

Hey! I know this time is so stressful, and I hope you’re taking care of yourself in whatever way you can. I can offer some insight from my own admissions experience if you believe it’ll help. I applied before the priority deadline and was admitted on 3/1. I got an email from the LBJ School that afternoon informing me of my acceptance. The “letter” was attached to the email, along with some other documents about quant readiness and admitted students day. A few hours later (around midnight, weird), I got a generic email from the GIAC informing me the university had made a decision on my admission and to check my status page.

Regardless of your results, I applaud your for putting yourself out there in a tough application cycle. I hope things work out for you! 

thank you and congrats!

yea i've only gotten the GIAC email so far, so morale is a little low, but i appreciate it :) best of luck!