UCLA Luskin 2021

Just received my acceptance by e-mail! Funding info was included. Would love to know how common it is to receive the GOFP.

UCLA was one of the first schools I decided to apply to and I love their commitment to equity (in all forms), so I’m thrilled with this result!

Edited by Twiste

57 minutes ago, Twiste said:

Just received my acceptance by e-mail! Funding info was included. Would love to know how common it is to receive the GOFP.

UCLA was one of the first schools I decided to apply to and I love their commitment to equity (in all forms), so I’m thrilled with this result!

Congrats on your acceptance, GOFP isn't common and is an accomplishment. I don't believe any (?) MPP applicants received GOFP last year.  Do you mind sharing your stats, when you applied, and if your last name is in the beginning of the alphabet? Anxiously waiting and trying to keep hope alive over here. 

17 minutes ago, EveningLeaves said:

Congrats on your acceptance, GOFP isn't common and is an accomplishment. I don't believe any (?) MPP applicants received GOFP last year.  Do you mind sharing your stats, when you applied, and if your last name is in the beginning of the alphabet? Anxiously waiting and trying to keep hope alive over here. 

I didn't receive it, but was nominated. UCLA is pretty high on my list and I'm hoping that my attendance is not contingent on this fellowship if it's über competitive, which based on your description sounds like it. The letter says "Graduate Division will notify you late March/early April if you have been chosen as a GOFP recipient" so I guess I'll know then!

I'll message you the other details, but my last name is definitely in the middle of the alphabet. I'm not sure how they're distributing responses though, perhaps it isn't alphabetical? 100% rooting for you! 

Edited by Twiste

Hi all! Super excited to have received an email letting me know I was accepted for the MPP today. I was given funding through a TA position, nonresident tuition, and nominated for a fellowship through the Luskin Center for Innovation. I hope this info is helpful - I figured I’d better stop lurking and chime in :) good luck everyone! (FWIW my stats are in the 2021 Results thread in case anyone wants them :) )

Edited to offer more information.

I was accepted today via email by the Director of Student Affairs. The email mentioned I was recommended for GOFP. 

The Director of Student Affairs asked me to set a meeting with him later this month/ early next month after GOFP decisions are released by the Grad Division to discuss additional ways to fund my degree if I'm not selected for GOFP.

Edited by MPP_2021

13 minutes ago, Alexissmart said:

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Thank you, and sure I can. 

UG Institution: UCLA (Class of 2020)

U Major: Environmental Studies (Concentration in Geospatial Information Systems)

UG GPA: 3.1 (not counting 3.7 community college GPA)

Quant background: Microecon, Macroecon, Intro to Stats, Calc 1, Calc 2, GIS Programming and Development (Python), Satellite Remote Sensing, Intermediate Remote Sensing, Intermediate/Advanced GIS, Applied Climatalogy

Work experiences:

Data Analyst (United Farm Workers) Sept 20'-present: First data analyst for the organization. Created a Data Governance structure from the ground up, instilling new security protocols, data strategy mission, and implemented new policies/procedures. Also spearheaded research throughout the Covid-19 crisis regarding financial/food assistance for farm workers and currently working on location analytics for Covid-19 vaccine distribution. 

Geospatial Information Systems Intern (City of La Habra) 6 months: First GIS employee of the city. Created a new centralized database for all city departments to use via GIS. Created apps, python scripts, and tutorials for city personnel to use. Saved the city a lot of money by doing work originally meant for contractors. 

Power Engineering Designer (Engineering Firm) 1 year:Constructed utility pole designs using programs such as O-cal, GIS, AutoCAD, etc. 

GRE: No

LoR: Strong: 3 UCLA Professors. 1- Academic Chair of the geospatial department. 2 and 3 - Professors I did independent research with during my undergrad (using GIS and satellite remote sensing)

SoP Strength: Strong. Born into poverty in Tijuana, Mexico. Moved to the most segregated city in the US for a while (Milwaukee, WI), dropped out of high school (rank 122 of 122). Got it together, received my GED, went to community college, 3.7 GPA and two associate degrees (math and science/Business Administration) then transferred to UCLA. Worked full-time most of my undergrad career (Medication Technician Lead in a Dementia Unit). Stated most of this in my SOP and how it connects me to the people that I want to help the most. 

On 3/22/2021 at 7:22 PM, Skipper18542 said:

Did anyone get revised/improved offers from Luskin? 

I sent a request for aid as I was offered a fellowship for UC San Diego. Hopefully I get some kind of aid, as not being able to work while attending UCSD is not really an option for me. I will update when I get a response.

Edited by bugajskj

On 3/22/2021 at 10:22 PM, Skipper18542 said:

Did anyone get revised/improved offers from Luskin? 

I didn't receive any funding at first, then after sending offers from other schools got revised $7.5k. With in-state tuition and partial tuition remission for teaching assistants, seems like the most affordable option for me.