SFU and UBC Counselling Psychology... The Waiting Game

wecandoit

I just need a safe space to release my anxious feels!

I was expecting to hear from SFU late-February but it's now the first week of March. I'm trying not to get too ahead of myself, but I'm so curious to know if I got shortlisted - I know there's still a few steps before actually being accepted into the SFU program. My mind can't help but wonder! 

ALSO! I find it odd how UBC will e-mail successful applicants mid-March, but will send letters to those they reject in April... hoping I'll receive an e-mail from them this month. 

Both are incredibly competitive and I assume that there were more applicants this year due to SFU closing their 2020 admissions and COVID-19. If I don't get the news I'm hoping for, I'm trying to remind myself to keep going because I want nothing more than to be a practicing counselor! 

I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling this way... feel free to channel your anxious energy on this thread! The waiting game is tough because you can't do much other than... wait.

SFU closed their application late this year, I believed the deadline was January 31.. so probably won't hear back from them until late March. I also know SFU offer so limited spots like around 15 students for MA and MEd in total (what I recalled from their info session). I heard from a friend who got accepted into this program saying that SFU is less likely to accepte first time applicant bc they want to see whether you are committed and encourage you to try again next year lol. I don't give much hope to SFU and hopefully UBC as it offers more spots. I'm with you too and so anxious. Already heard back from UoT, Alberta and Trinity Western and hope either Uvic, SFU or UBC can give me some good news! 

UoT: offer my third choice - Developmental Psychology and Education|Trinity Western University: waitlisted with conditions |UoA: rejected  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RS4321 said:

Hi there, I receive notification waitlist for UBC and a shortlist for SFU's program (email notification was a minute a part) - next step is the interview… does anyone have an idea what that will involve? 

Congratulations!!!

I just received a rejection email from UBC, do you mind sharing a bit on what academic achievements/ working experiences do you have? This is my first time applying for grad school and would like to know more about how to equip myself to be a competitive applicant :)

Hi all! I applied to the MEd program at UBC for May and am very confused now because I haven't heard anything! No acceptance, rejection, or waitlist notification. I'm thinking I probably will not be accepted but the waiting to hear back is so nerve-wracking! 

35 minutes ago, Brynndle said:

Hi all! I applied to the MEd program at UBC for May and am very confused now because I haven't heard anything! No acceptance, rejection, or waitlist notification. I'm thinking I probably will not be accepted but the waiting to hear back is so nerve-wracking! 

I am in the same boat. I can relate to how you're feeling! 

1 hour ago, Brynndle said:

Glad to know I'm not alone! I thought UBC would send out all of their notifications for certain groups at once but maybe not! 

Just received a rejection email from UBC. Thought to update it here. 

On 3/19/2021 at 6:36 PM, Psypig said:

Congratulations!!!

I just received a rejection email from UBC, do you mind sharing a bit on what academic achievements/ working experiences do you have? This is my first time applying for grad school and would like to know more about how to equip myself to be a competitive applicant :)

For sure - the last several years I've been working on the required courses. I have experience as a teacher, Guidance Counsellor and now Administrator

Hi, just wondering if anyone has an idea on what the interview for SFU would be like. I got an invitation to interview but they mentioned that it would be along with 3-4 other candidates making it a group interview of sorts - anyone know what to expect?

On 3/27/2021 at 10:39 PM, shancalt said:

Hi, just wondering if anyone has an idea on what the interview for SFU would be like. I got an invitation to interview but they mentioned that it would be along with 3-4 other candidates making it a group interview of sorts - anyone know what to expect?

Hi, good luck on the interview! I haven't received an invitation to interview but was wondering if you could share a bit about your admission credentials & grades as someone who was offered one. I'm always curious as to how competitive the pool is and would love a bit of insight on how far off I might be ! TIA

On 3/27/2021 at 9:39 PM, shancalt said:

Hey, just saw this now. Did you have it yet? I had mine and it was kind of the typical questions, just in a group format with everyone taking turns responding. Extremely nerve-wracking nonetheless!

I felt it went decently well but everyone else in my group was so incredible that I have no idea how they will narrow it down. And now we wait a month!