MA program competitiveness?

A_bad_philosopher

So I'm just wondering if the MA programs are also going to be even more competitive compared to the previous years, just like how PhD programs turned out to be more competitive this year. I've applied to as many MA programs as I could, although a lot of them were already past due, but I just want to have a realistic sense of my chances at the MA programs. My reasoning is that since there was a surge of applicants for PhD programs it only makes sense to think that the same would happen for the MA programs as well, as many of applicants would have applied to both PhD and MA programs (unlike me, lol) 

I know nobody probably has like an answer to this but just wondering what people think about the competitiveness of MA programs this year. 

I agree with you on this -- MA programs are likely to be more competitive than usual this year (all the more reason to re-apply next cycle if you get shut out). Miami U's MA program is interviewing people this year for the first time, for instance, due to a surge in applications to its program. 

Edited by eleatics

1 minute ago, eleatics said:

I agree with you on this -- MA programs are likely to be more competitive than usual this year (all the more reason to re-apply next cycle if you get shut out). Miami U's MA program is interviewing people this year for the first time, for instance, due to a surge in applications to its program. 

Wow, this is kinda rough. So there's a nontrivial possibility for me that I'll get shut out from even the MA programs, whereas the MA programs in the past were kind of like the 'safety' options for applicants? What a sad and anxiety-inducing situation to be in... ? 

1 minute ago, eleatics said:

@A_bad_philosopher Sorry bro ? This is just a crappy year all-around to be applying. Hang in there!

It really is crappy isn't it? ??

I know you mentioned that there's a reason why one should reapply next year if one gets shut out, but wouldn't you say that admissions cycle next year will be as competitive, if not more competitive, as this year's cycle? 

@A_bad_philosopher Yeah I wonder! I really don't know -- I think it is too early to tell for sure at this point. Afaik, many have been speculating that the number of applicants potentially being shut out this year could lead to a bottleneck of applicants in future cycles, but I am also hoping that many of the departments who closed admissions this cycle (e.g. Chicago and Columbia) will open again next cycle, thereby reducing the potential bottleneck of applicants. So there is hope! Again, I think it is still too early to know anything for certain yet.

2 hours ago, A_bad_philosopher said:

Wow, this is kinda rough. So there's a nontrivial possibility for me that I'll get shut out from even the MA programs, whereas the MA programs in the past were kind of like the 'safety' options for applicants? What a sad and anxiety-inducing situation to be in... ? 

MAs were never truly a safety option. The top MA programs have always been quite competitive, though they are no doubt more competitive this year

8 minutes ago, PolPhil said:

MAs were never truly a safety option. The top MA programs have always been quite competitive, though they are no doubt more competitive this year

Yeah of course programs like Tufts or Brandeis were always quite competitive but, afaik (but correct me if I am wrong), programs such as GSU had a relatively high acceptance rate, somewhere in the 30-40%, right? I'd say that is a pretty high number at least in the context of philosophy programs, no? 

4 minutes ago, A_bad_philosopher said:

Yeah of course programs like Tufts or Brandeis were always quite competitive but, afaik (but correct me if I am wrong), programs such as GSU had a relatively high acceptance rate, somewhere in the 30-40%, right? I'd say that is a pretty high number at least in the context of philosophy programs, no? 

That's higher than I thought it was, but you may be right!

I'm a student at Tufts right now, and one of the professors here mentioned in passing that over 200 applicants applied for 8 spots this year. Hope this is informative.

Edited by 7641532

23 hours ago, 7641532 said:

I'm a student at Tufts right now, and one of the professors here mentioned in passing that over 200 applicants applied for 8 spots this year. Hope this is informative.

Thanks for letting us know, do you know how the yield is though? That is, for 8 spots, how many acceptances would they usually give out?

Just to have a rough idea of really how competitive Tufts is. But if you have no idea then that's completely fine too!

47 minutes ago, A_bad_philosopher said:

Thanks for letting us know, do you know how the yield is though? That is, for 8 spots, how many acceptances would they usually give out?

Just to have a rough idea of really how competitive Tufts is. But if you have no idea then that's completely fine too!

I have no idea what the answer to that question is :( sorry 

51 minutes ago, A_bad_philosopher said:

I think someone may have to ask the department for data or do a FOIA request through their office of institutional research. I've scrubbed their site and they don't have a nice dashboard that some other universities have. 

14 hours ago, MtnDuck said:

I think someone may have to ask the department for data or do a FOIA request through their office of institutional research. I've scrubbed their site and they don't have a nice dashboard that some other universities have. 

Also, I know this is not the place to say this perhaps, I want to give you a huge thank you for administering the philosophy admissions spreadsheet, you are literally a lifesaver. Keep up the amazing work :D