I'm Accepted... What Now?

dancewmoonlight

Y'all, I feel so lost right now. So, I got into my top choice for a PhD program, and I feel like there's so much ahead of me that I'm just stuck. Things are made so much worse by COVID and the uncertainty it brings, too!

Can you all help me think through things I need to handle between now and starting classes?

• I'm a U.S. student doing a PhD program in Canada, so I know I need to handle a bunch of stuff with moving internationally (with my spouse and animals) and securing a student visa.
  • I didn't receive funding automatically, but the program is super cheap (under $8500 CAD for 5 years). I still need to apply for fellowships, etc.

After this, I just kind of get lost. Help!

14 hours ago, dancewmoonlight said:

Y'all, I feel so lost right now. So, I got into my top choice for a PhD program, and I feel like there's so much ahead of me that I'm just stuck. Things are made so much worse by COVID and the uncertainty it brings, too!

Can you all help me think through things I need to handle between now and starting classes?

• I'm a U.S. student doing a PhD program in Canada, so I know I need to handle a bunch of stuff with moving internationally (with my spouse and animals) and securing a student visa.
  • I didn't receive funding automatically, but the program is super cheap (under $8500 CAD for 5 years). I still need to apply for fellowships, etc.

After this, I just kind of get lost. Help!

you took an unfunded PhD in a different country? Seems sketchy.

2 hours ago, BTF said:

you took an unfunded PhD in a different country? Seems sketchy.

I appreciate the concern, but two of my colleagues attended the university, as well. I also had several hour-long meetings with my advisor and talked with a committee member for four hours. The program itself isn't sketchy. It's a PhD in Education and just has a lot of educators/principals who are working full-time, which is why they don't provide automatic funding.