Advice on M.Div. Programs (Copied From Other Forum)

slicer765

I'm looking for advice on M.Div. programs. I'm looking to attend a school that will prepare me to serve in a wide variety of denominations (I'm somewhere along the United Methodist-Anglican/Episcopal spectrum in theological orientation, but am pretty ecumenical), that will be intellectually stimulating and challenging, and that will prepare me for the prospect of future doctoral work. I am interested broadly in religion and society (more specifically ecclesiology, ethics, history, and sociology of religion). I've been accepted to the following M.Div. programs with solid financial aid awards:

1. Princeton Theological Seminary

2. Duke Divinity School

3. Candler School of Theology (Emory University)

Any advice on which of these programs would be best based on what I'm looking for? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each at this point in time?

Speaking as an Mdiv student at PTS, I think you could find everything you are looking for here, so long as you feel the funding is adequate. 

That said, Duke also has an excellent reputation and placement record for Mdivs looking to do doctoral work in top tier programs. I’ve heard their div school is in a major state of transition that has left both sides feeling isolated and powerless. It could be overblown, but it could also be a legit red flag. Assuming money makes no difference, I would focus on which faculty members could best prepare you to do the type of doctoral research you aspire to. 

If you have specific questions about PTS, feel free to DM me.

21 minutes ago, JDD said:

I’ve heard their div school is in a major state of transition that has left both sides feeling isolated and powerless. It could be overblown, but it could also be a legit red flag.

@JDDCould you say more on this?

@LakeSuperior I think @JDD is referring to the tension that Duke is living in right now between hiring a new dean, Hauerwas' retirement, and diversifying their faculty more. I see where that could cause quite a disruption and a bit of an identity crisis within the school. However, I don't know a whole lot more than that. 

@slicer765

Yes everything you mentioned, but my source (a current mdiv there) would probably say it has more to do with the conservative faction in the UMC believing Duke should be one thing while progressives believe it should be something quite different. Also, there has been more than one account of minority students feeling less than welcome.

Although I said this already, I’m not a student there. This is all word of mouth and should not be taken as gospel.