MA at Arizona vs Colorado

K G

So I've received funded offers from both the University of Arizona and the University of Colorado for their MAs with emphases in classical archaeology.  One of the factors I want to weigh in my decision is if one of the programs or departments is perceived as better or more prestigious if I decide to apply to PhD programs.  However, I'm just really in the dark here about how people within Classics perceive different schools or which schools are thought of as better and worse.  So my question is does one of these programs have a significant advantage over the other in reputation?  I know both of them usually get at least one student into Ivy and Ivy equivalent PhDs each year, but I just am wondering if one of them will look better than the other on a PhD application if I choose to go that route. Thanks!

Also, if you have any experience with either program that would help me make my decision and want to share that would be great too.

Edited by K G

It depends entirely on what you are interested in. Basing a decision on prestige is a mistake - you need to find the right advisor and  the right field of interest. What questions do you want to ask in your work, who would be good to work with. Look at the faculty, look at what  they work on, read some of their work. Think about what you want to work on and go from there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you've decided yet, but.

Echoing what's already been said here, but I would say consider cost of living, but also consider where you would be living: Arizona's weather is very different from Colorado's weather. Which place do you think you would be happier at, which environment do you think would be more conducive to your studying? 

Obviously, choose the program that has more of what you'd like to focus on in the future. I would suggest to go and search both of their sites to see what courses have been offered in this past Spring / what they're offering in the Fall if they have them listed yet. Comparing and contrasting the offerings will probably help a lot.