Choosing an English PhD program

Hey everyone, long time lurker here. First of all, congratulations to everyone who got into a program and also for surviving this application cycle! Even if this cycle didn't work out, be positively sure it had everything to do with how difficult this year was and that if you have the resources, you can always apply again. This was my second cycle after a terrible first one (complete shutout).

I am an international first generation grad student from India. I guess you can imagine how difficult it must have been to navigate through the entire US academic system, prepare materials I've never prepared before, and to reach out to people in different timezones and from different cultural backgrounds. That too in the middle of a pandemic. I lacked the cultural capital and the financial resources (it was stressful paying the application fees in dollars). I guess I persevered, and unlike the first cycle, I reached out to people for help, and now I have two PhD offers - University of Florida and University of Kansas.

Since I'm not familiar with the system nor have I ever set foot in the US, I would really appreciate if you could help me make the decision. I'll just list some of the salient points about the two programs and would love your opinion.

PhD English at UF:

1. Stipend of 17k with an additional 2k dollars (Rawlings fellowship) for FOUR years. I will be entering the program as an MA student (I have an MPhil degree) so I need to complete 7 courses (instead of 12). Even then, isn't four years too less? I want to stay in academia and would like to publish and present papers. Will I have the time for that? The grad coordinator has assured me that there are provisions for extension but I am still anxious.

2. Teach 1 course per semester, build and structure the course design. Written in the letter, "For each 3 hours of class contact, you are required to hold regular office hours (two hours weekly)."

3. I think Gainesville is relatively more expensive than Lawrence? 

4. Guaranteed summer teaching jobs for international students.

5. Active student union (yes!)

6. Extremely welcoming faculty and supportive senior grad students. Grad coordinator spoke with me over Zoom and soon after faculty members reached out to me individually.

Now, about KU PhD English:

1. 5 years (10 semesters) stipend of $17,750. Can be extended to the sixth year if needed. I guess this is the standard timeline in the US?

2. I have to teach 2 courses each sem. Exact wording in the letter: "Your appointment as a GTA in English requires that you prepare, teach, and grade assignments for two 3-hour courses in the fall semester and two 3-hour courses in the spring semester in accordance with Departmental guidelines, hold student office hours at designated times, maintain grade and other records, and attend professional development meetings as required." That is A LOT of teaching load, right?

3. Cheaper than Gainesville. (I think?)

4. No guaranteed summer jobs.

5. Not sure about student unions but recent news suggest that KU administration is f-ing up a lot.

6. The graduate director was very supportive. Not sure about the other faculty members though.

Fit wise, I think UF works out better. It's just that I'm really, really apprehensive about just 4 years of funding. I'm sure there are enough provisions for extensions (grad coordinator has assured me) but still.

I would love your opinions on this. Also, is there something else that I should be looking into (especially as an international student)? I'm sorry for this EXTREMELY long post, btw!

Have a great day everyone!

1 hour ago, Space_cowboy said:

Hey everyone, long time lurker here. First of all, congratulations to everyone who got into a program and also for surviving this application cycle! Even if this cycle didn't work out, be positively sure it had everything to do with how difficult this year was and that if you have the resources, you can always apply again. This was my second cycle after a terrible first one (complete shutout).

I am an international first generation grad student from India. I guess you can imagine how difficult it must have been to navigate through the entire US academic system, prepare materials I've never prepared before, and to reach out to people in different timezones and from different cultural backgrounds. That too in the middle of a pandemic. I lacked the cultural capital and the financial resources (it was stressful paying the application fees in dollars). I guess I persevered, and unlike the first cycle, I reached out to people for help, and now I have two PhD offers - University of Florida and University of Kansas.

Since I'm not familiar with the system nor have I ever set foot in the US, I would really appreciate if you could help me make the decision. I'll just list some of the salient points about the two programs and would love your opinion.

PhD English at UF:

1. Stipend of 17k with an additional 2k dollars (Rawlings fellowship) for FOUR years. I will be entering the program as an MA student (I have an MPhil degree) so I need to complete 7 courses (instead of 12). Even then, isn't four years too less? I want to stay in academia and would like to publish and present papers. Will I have the time for that? The grad coordinator has assured me that there are provisions for extension but I am still anxious.

2. Teach 1 course per semester, build and structure the course design. Written in the letter, "For each 3 hours of class contact, you are required to hold regular office hours (two hours weekly)."

3. I think Gainesville is relatively more expensive than Lawrence? 

4. Guaranteed summer teaching jobs for international students.

5. Active student union (yes!)

6. Extremely welcoming faculty and supportive senior grad students. Grad coordinator spoke with me over Zoom and soon after faculty members reached out to me individually.

Now, about KU PhD English:

1. 5 years (10 semesters) stipend of $17,750. Can be extended to the sixth year if needed. I guess this is the standard timeline in the US?

2. I have to teach 2 courses each sem. Exact wording in the letter: "Your appointment as a GTA in English requires that you prepare, teach, and grade assignments for two 3-hour courses in the fall semester and two 3-hour courses in the spring semester in accordance with Departmental guidelines, hold student office hours at designated times, maintain grade and other records, and attend professional development meetings as required." That is A LOT of teaching load, right?

3. Cheaper than Gainesville. (I think?)

4. No guaranteed summer jobs.

5. Not sure about student unions but recent news suggest that KU administration is f-ing up a lot.

6. The graduate director was very supportive. Not sure about the other faculty members though.

Fit wise, I think UF works out better. It's just that I'm really, really apprehensive about just 4 years of funding. I'm sure there are enough provisions for extensions (grad coordinator has assured me) but still.

I would love your opinions on this. Also, is there something else that I should be looking into (especially as an international student)? I'm sorry for this EXTREMELY long post, btw!

Have a great day everyone!

I'm going to try and offer some things to consider - but I also want to mention I know much more about KU than UF (I was waitlisted there this sem but accepted another offer) - but I did do some research into the program and sorta the area. 

That (slight?) disclaimer aside: 

- I do think your funding (the 17k) will go further in Lawrence than in Gainesville. I would also look at the other threads on this site about grad students who went to these schools - they often talk about housing, etc. However - I do think it would be *okay* in both areas. As in, I don't think you will struggle immensely in that area of Florida, I just think Kansas is overall a cheaper place to live. That being said - if you are teaching in the summer, calculate how much more that adds for the year! 

- 4 years sounds short to me (I also applied with an MA). 5 is more traditional, but that doesn't necessarily mean UF won't prepare you for publication. Also, if you haven't already, perhaps ask for more clarity around extensions? How many are available, how many students need them, etc. 

- re: faculty: maybe - if you have the time - reach out and try to set up some calls / chats with professors from both (you may have already done this, but figured I'd mention it regardless!). I know this may not be possible given your schedule, but it might help put you at ease when it comes to faculty! 

However - based on your post it seems like IF UF had given you the 5 years of funding, you would have accepted. Forgive me if that's an over-read into your situation - but I also think it can't hurt to speak frankly with the director about this and ask for concrete information around the 5th year. I completely understand not wanting to put yourself in a position where you need a fifth year and there are not enough resources to do so. 

I hope this helps - I wish you the best of luck with your situation. 

EDITING TO ADD: CONGRATULATIONS BTW!!! I feel like my message was not exciting in tone - but it's very exciting that you have both of these opportunities!!! 

Edited by brockdenbrown802

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, the grad student union and opportunity to design and teach your own syllabi would win me over. Franky, 17ish k is not enough to live period. You'll make it work but it's ridiculous and having the summer job guaranteed at UF is a big deal. As for the union, I mean, hell yes. Just look at Loyola Chicago- their union put enough pressure on the dept to get stipends raised from 18k to 28k. If you're concerned about four years (that is brief- my program does a five year option for incoming students with MAs, but most of us opt for the 6 year route), look to see if existing grad students and publishing and presenting and ask them how they are able to get it done in the time. The faculty friendliness is also a big deal, imo. Dealing with faculty who didn't like me or what I do made my first year miserable. 

CONGRATS, btw

i can help with living in gainesville, if anything, apologies for not having answers for anything else. moneywise- lawrence is probably cheaper. apartments are strangely expensive in gainesville for a college town- a lot of "luxury" units that are anything but, with low-quality amentities and lots of noise from rowdy undergrads. also, getting around anywhere without a car can be tough on weekends and during school breaks if you aren't immediately near campus. if you have guaranteed summer teaching, though, that's really great. i had a handful of grad students as instructors and they seemed to be happy overall.

Edited by jadeisokay