2022 Application Thread

dr. t

Someone posted the result of Georgetown, in which they did not offer admission to the PhD but secured a spot on MAGIC (MA in Global, International, and Comparative History).
First, congratulations to the candidate! I imagine it may not be the most desired result, but I see it as a victory.
I'm not American and I would like to ask a question: Master's programs in the USA are usually paid and there are few scholarships available, is that right?
Thanks.

8 minutes ago, TheGradCocaCola said:

Someone posted the result of Georgetown, in which they did not offer admission to the PhD but secured a spot on MAGIC (MA in Global, International, and Comparative History).
First, congratulations to the candidate! I imagine it may not be the most desired result, but I see it as a victory.
I'm not American and I would like to ask a question: Master's programs in the USA are usually paid and there are few scholarships available, is that right?
Thanks.

This was me. Thanks for your kind words!

MAs in the United States are not funded most of the time. You'll really have to fight for funding, some packages are negotiable if the school offers assistantships, and you'll have to rely heavily on outside funding if you can't finance it yourself. Postgrad education in the US is definitely not accessible financially, you really have to work for it.

Hello all! I'm new here =). Stupidly decided to lurk 2-3 weeks ago, realized I was likely going to get rejected from Berkeley, and then vowed to take a few weeks off the forums so I don't drive myself crazy. I got my first acceptance yesterday, so am feeling like I can come out of the woodwork and celebrate everyone's good news! And cheer on everyone else! 

My stats and background are oddly specific, so I'm more than happy to answer questions but please PM me if you do have them. I'm paranoid that professors are lurking here (as if they don't have actual research and teaching commitments to attend to, amiright?)

Anyway, all of that long preamble to say: hello! I got accepted at Princeton yesterday and a few hours later rejected from Berkeley. 

4 minutes ago, GradSchoolAndSuch said:

Hello all! I'm new here =). Stupidly decided to lurk 2-3 weeks ago, realized I was likely going to get rejected from Berkeley, and then vowed to take a few weeks off the forums so I don't drive myself crazy. I got my first acceptance yesterday, so am feeling like I can come out of the woodwork and celebrate everyone's good news! And cheer on everyone else! 

My stats and background are oddly specific, so I'm more than happy to answer questions but please PM me if you do have them. I'm paranoid that professors are lurking here (as if they don't have actual research and teaching commitments to attend to, amiright?)

Anyway, all of that long preamble to say: hello! I got accepted at Princeton yesterday and a few hours later rejected from Berkeley. 

Woohooo! Congrats!! What a massive achievement! Please tell me how you managed to stay off this website. Would like my life back x 

1 hour ago, flowersandcoffee said:

Woohooo! Congrats!! What a massive achievement! Please tell me how you managed to stay off this website. Would like my life back x 

Thank you!

Honestly, it probably helped that I was only on here that one time (for several hours, but still!) And then I told my friends and sister that I will not go on for another 2 weeks (hoorah accountability!) And what's the point of going on here if you can't cry to your friends and family that clearly you're getting rejected from X school because "THEY ALREADY ACCEPTED FIVE PEOPLE AND I DIDN'T EVEN GET AN INTERVIEW."

That's probably very oddly specific to me, so probably not helpful =P.

3 hours ago, tyg91 said:

First application round for me... how do you deal with the rejection/how many seasons have you experienced? It's way harder than I thought it would be. 

1. As someone in his third cycle( really only my second since I only applied for two programs my first time around and had no idea what I was doing at first) I will say that the rejections will always sting but you should never take them too personally. Departments are fickle and sometimes it really does boil down to a matter of luck of if you get in or not. Sometimes the department is only taking one admit for the subfield you are in or sometimes the faculty you want to work with is getting ready to go on sabbatical. I think understanding that helps cope with the sting of being rejected and not being discouraged to go again if you don't get into a program your first time around!  I hope that helps somewhat! 

FYI to people still waiting for Chicago, I just got an email from the Graduate Affairs Administrator. Still technically an unofficial acceptance, as the official one is supposed to come out "soon" from the Dean of Students. But it appears as though they have sent out these unofficial acceptances beyond just the random POI's who have given people a heads up.

On 2/1/2022 at 1:47 PM, aurelie426 said:

Not yet! From going through results for last year it doesn't seem like UToronto will be releasing decisions until March? Which Canadian programs did you apply to?

just UBC! If I don't get in I plan on doing a much wider net next year, but I just did UBC this year for various reasons. I did talk to my POI yesterday and I'm basically waitlisted, so some offers may start showing up for those that are on the top of the list...good luck with your programs! 

Edited by history110

8 minutes ago, nws said:

FYI to people still waiting for Chicago, I just got an email from the Graduate Affairs Administrator. Still technically an unofficial acceptance, as the official one is supposed to come out "soon" from the Dean of Students. But it appears as though they have sent out these unofficial acceptances beyond just the random POI's who have given people a heads up.

Ahh, so I wonder if its bad news if we didn’t get an unofficial notice yet. 

5 minutes ago, medievalpeasant said:

As sad as it is to say it, I would say that is most likely the case at this point for Chicago. Congrats to all who got an acceptance though! 

6 minutes ago, medievalpeasant said:

Same :( A little disheartening since Chicago is a top choice. Congrats to those who've received notice of acceptance. I guess it's unlikely at this point...

8 minutes ago, MatildaMedievalist said:

If the Stanford interview and/or acceptance is on here, care to share any more details? And congratulations!

Hey! I didn't have an interview but just got word I got into Stanford— it looks like one person in most fields got in except for in US two people got in. 

1 hour ago, automatic_peas said:

Hey! I didn't have an interview but just got word I got into Stanford— it looks like one person in most fields got in except for in US two people got in. 

Hey did you get an official notification from Stanford? Or is it your POI who told you this? Thanks.

3 hours ago, nws said:

What do you mean by "Graduate Affairs Administrator"?

Admin from the history dept? or admin from the college?

Hello, first time poster here!

Just a question - I see four (I think?) Princeton accepts, does it mean we should relinquish any reasonable hope (the unreasonable hope staying alive, of course, until we get a written rejection ?)? It's my first round of applications so I don't know how they do it at Princeton. Are those informal offers (i.e. emails kindly sent by their POIs), or are we talking about official offers, in which case I suppose this particular ship has sailed?

ps. Is there any other unfortunate soul who, like me, has applied to NYU's joint PhD in History and French Studies and knows anything about their decision schedule? As far as I understand, the IFS (Institute of French Studies) gets to decide first, right? GradCafe archives are not very helpful on this particular topic...

And, of course, congratulations to those who already received some good news, and good luck to everyone else!

Edited by Akinokaze

6 hours ago, ATAH said:

What do you mean by "Graduate Affairs Administrator"?

Admin from the history dept? or admin from the college?

Honestly I'm not completely sure, but from her email signature, it sounds like admin from the history dept, and that the official-official email will come from admin from the dean's office

Does anyone know what the status is right now with Yale? I saw an interview request on the results page, which seems a bit late for them, but if anyone knows generally when they are going to send out decisions that would be great. Also, if we haven't had an interview with them shall we expect that's not a great sign (even if we've had contact with POIs before)?