2022 Application Thread

dr. t

8 minutes ago, Maguire said:

Does anyone know what the status is right now with Yale? I saw an interview request on the results page, which seems a bit late for them, but if anyone knows generally when they are going to send out decisions that would be great. Also, if we haven't had an interview with them shall we expect that's not a great sign (even if we've had contact with POIs before)?

It looks like the interview on the results page was actually conducted in January, just added yesterday. I didn't apply to Yale History this year, but I know a few people in the program and they say generally you have to have an interview to be admitted. 

Alright, now I need advice. I was thinking Brown had only sent their rejections on Feb. 1 because no one had posted an acceptance, but now someone has posted an acceptance too. My portal for Brown still hasn't updated. What is a reasonable time to wait before emailing to ask about my status? And who would I even email? 

Is that Brown acceptance on here and willing to help relieve some of my anxiety with details? Because I am now just legitimately confused. 

49 minutes ago, MatildaMedievalist said:

Alright, now I need advice. I was thinking Brown had only sent their rejections on Feb. 1 because no one had posted an acceptance, but now someone has posted an acceptance too. My portal for Brown still hasn't updated. What is a reasonable time to wait before emailing to ask about my status? And who would I even email? 

Is that Brown acceptance on here and willing to help relieve some of my anxiety with details? Because I am now just legitimately confused. 

Hey - I was very lucky to be accepted at Brown and was notified on 1 February. I received an email saying that a decision had been made on my application and that I should log in to the portal to see the decision. I also received an email from the DGS and my POI yesterday. 

I hope this helps you, somewhat. Fwiw, I think we're all anxious to hear from outstanding applications. Hope you hear some positive news soon!

5 minutes ago, TagRendar said:

@MatildaMedievalist Just take a deep breath and wait. Do you have another offer in hand? (I don’t remember if you did or not.

I don't have an offer in hand, but you're right. Stressing won't help. 

1 minute ago, MikhailM said:

Hey - I was very lucky to be accepted at Brown and was notified on 1 February. I received an email saying that a decision had been made on my application and that I should log in to the portal to see the decision. I also received an email from the DGS and my POI yesterday. 

I hope this helps you, somewhat. Fwiw, I think we're all anxious to hear from outstanding applications. Hope you hear some positive news soon!

Congratulations! I guess I'm just really confused that people have gotten acceptances and people have gotten rejections, and yet I have gotten nothing. I didn't think these things tended to be done in rounds, but maybe they are? I'd just never heard of something like this before. 

@MatildaMedievalist These are usually done in rounds and it could be something as funny as them not doing that letter of the alphabet for your last name yet or it could be that they’re deciding between a few people in a sub field, checking on funding, etc. could be waitlist, too—there are any number of reasons why you haven’t gotten an update yet. Just hang tight, even though that’s usually the hardest part.

7 minutes ago, metfan26 said:

Heads up to all, Princeton rejections just got put up in the portal. Getting rejected from everywhere :(

Got the same email. First answer for me. Doesn't feel great but fingers crossed for the rest of the season...

46 minutes ago, TagRendar said:

@MatildaMedievalist These are usually done in rounds and it could be something as funny as them not doing that letter of the alphabet for your last name yet or it could be that they’re deciding between a few people in a sub field, checking on funding, etc. could be waitlist, too—there are any number of reasons why you haven’t gotten an update yet. Just hang tight, even though that’s usually the hardest part.

Wait, does that actually happen? Would a school/pois send out notifications for one subfield if they're still deciding on another subfield? 

Also, no I haven't heard anything from Rutgers as well.

1 minute ago, metfan26 said:

Yeah, not in spam or promotions. Only saw it on my personal page.

Quite odd! Though unfortunately I suppose that the rejection letter on your page is what counts...I hope you and I will get some better news soon (would be very cool if it were today but beggars cannot be choosers can they!).

Just now, CoffeeCatsCorgis said:

Hi there, I had an interview with my POI from Rutgers who said decisions should be coming fairly soon. 

Thanks!  Do you know if they interview everyone they accept?  I had meetings with POIs that helped a lot with my SOP, but no interview.

1a/2i/0w/0r/6p

1 minute ago, kareese85 said:

Thanks!  Do you know if they interview everyone they accept?  I had meetings with POIs that helped a lot with my SOP, but no interview.

1a/2i/0w/0r/6p

I'm under the impression that it was not an official interview, just my POI asking a few questions about my work and the direction I was hoping to take it. I don't know for sure.

Just now, CoffeeCatsCorgis said:

I'm under the impression that it was not an official interview, just my POI asking a few questions about my work and the direction I was hoping to take it. I don't know for sure.

Oh, that's helpful!  Thank you!

6 hours ago, MatildaMedievalist said:

I don't have an offer in hand, but you're right. Stressing won't help. 

Congratulations! I guess I'm just really confused that people have gotten acceptances and people have gotten rejections, and yet I have gotten nothing. I didn't think these things tended to be done in rounds, but maybe they are? I'd just never heard of something like this before. 

Hey! I can imagine this is really stressful. I would try and spend some time offline tonight. Turn off your phone/laptop, give them to a friend/roommate. If you haven't heard anything by tomorrow, especially since rejections have come out via the portal, which is usually automated to everyone on the rejection list, then maybe you've been waitlisted? 

Hi everyone,

First message here but I thought sharing my experience here might be helpful to some of you.

I applied to five programs. So far, I got a rejection from Brown (official update in the portal and notification by email). I am on the waitlist for JHU (email, the portal is not updated). I've been admitted to Princeton (email from the graduate program administrator on Feb, 2 and I received the official update in the portal a few hours ago) and Yale (Medieval Studies program. I got an email and the portal updated a day after). I am still waiting for Stanford.

My sub-field is medieval history.

I hope this helps. Good luck to all and don't hesitate if you have any questions.

4 minutes ago, esge said:

Hi everyone,

First message here but I thought sharing my experience here might be helpful to some of you.

I applied to five programs. So far, I got a rejection from Brown (official update in the portal and notification by email). I am on the waitlist for JHU (email, the portal is not updated). I've been admitted to Princeton (email from the graduate program administrator on Feb, 2 and I received the official update in the portal a few hours ago) and Yale (Medieval Studies program. I got an email and the portal updated a day after). I am still waiting for Stanford.

My sub-field is medieval history.

I hope this helps. Good luck to all and don't hesitate if you have any questions.

Congrats on the waitlist and two acceptances! Those are some great programs! 

10 hours ago, charmsprof said:

Wait, dld a school/pois send out notifications for one subfield if they're still deciding on another subfield? 

Also, no I haven't heard anything from Rutgers as well.

I'm in the same boat as you and am also unfamiliar with those practices.

(RE: the Brown situation and thread you replied to) Schools don't send out acceptances if they haven't reviewed all applications. Although POIs sendioes that actually happen? Woung out unofficial offers at different times, etc. can vary for obvious reasons, it wouldn't be logical for committees to send acceptances if they hadn't reviewed all apps. Even though things can be somewhat divided up by subfield, the entire committee still comes together to make final decisions (and often disagree on how many students each subfield should get) before even unofficial offers are made. This definitely wouldn't happen if the committee was holding off reviewing some apps for random and arbitrary reasons like alphabetical order (especially when there are very usually few spots available for incoming students). Since official offers have to first be rubber stamped by higher ups, all of the programs I'm familiar with all send all of their recommendations to admins at the same time (with obvious exceptions made for waitlists, etc.). Official decisions are typically automated and sent out all at once which is why the results page immediately lights up like a Christmas tree whenever top schools update their portals lol

@MatildaMedievalist There might have been a technical glitch on Brown's end, but my guess is that you're being unofficially waitlisted or something of that nature. There's no way of knowing at this point, but I wouldn't reach out unless it starts getting close to ~April 15. Although I share the temptation to reach out and ask programs for an estimated timeline, it is considered best practice to wait for them to reach out since asking for an update could be viewed as an annoyance. Fingers crossed for you! :)

Edited by anxiouslurker
Clarification

Hi everyone, hoping I can get some answers here.

So I had my interview with Penn State 2 weeks ago. It went really well and my POI emailed me a few days after saying they were nominating me for acceptance. I haven't heard from the program or the university until today when they sent out an invitation for a virtual recruitment event.

I'm not sure how to approach the event. There was no mention of interviews, but they did say we have the opportunity to meet with faculty 1:1. Thinking of reaching out to faculty I haven't already spoken to, so I can get to know other professors. How much preparation should I put into this? Is this event them trying to get me to go to the school or am I still trying to convince them to offer me admission?