2022 Application Thread

dr. t

Just now, Imperator Totius Hispaniae said:

@psstein I have an interview as well! any advice on what to say/what questions to ask?

It's been so long since my application process that I can't really outline specific questions or ideas. Something worth asking about  is HSS' relationship with the larger history/sociology/social science departments.

Generally the way to learn about this is to ask students about their fields for prelims (sometimes called comps).

Hi all! I've submitted all but one of my apps for PhD programs and have been reading this thread as I try to quell the anxiety of waiting.

Are interviews common for history PhD programs? When I was looking through application FAQs only two or three schools specifically mention not offering interviews, the majority didn't mention it at all.

4 hours ago, Imperator Totius Hispaniae said:

@flowersandcoffeeI'm not sure about Yale, but based on what I've been told from a current PhD History student from Harvard, they don't do interviews. My interview is with Berkeley as well! When is your interview with them? And what is your subfield?

Just got an email from POI at Berkeley today to set up a zoom chat next week. He didn't call it an interview so I can't tell if this is just a formality before being admitted or if I'm actually competing against others, i.e. if each POI is "having chats" with more people than the dept can admit and then they plan to narrow things down. His email contained the words "we are working to identify the shortlist, and we are very interested in admitting you." Then he goes on to apologize for the procedural requirement to do a zoom call and says "I promise you that I am already a fan of your application and will be supporting your candidacy regardless, so there's nothing to be nervous about. Really I think the point is just to make sure that you are still interested in Berkeley, and for us to get to know each other a little, so that I have more ammunition to convince my colleagues of how great you are." 

Was this more or less the tone of your POI exchange, Imperator? Or anyone else who's heard from Berkeley? 

@emeraldsapphireNo, my email didn't really say much, just that they enjoyed reading my application and would like to extend a zoom interview with me, where I will have the opportunity to "tell us a bit more about your interests and goals for a History PhD, and allow us to answer any questions you may have about our program at this point". So, much less enthusiastic that yours haha. I wonder if its a personality difference or they're less sure about me than they are you.

What is your subfield? Mine is Latin American history. 

1 minute ago, Imperator Totius Hispaniae said:

@emeraldsapphireNo, my email didn't really say much, just that they enjoyed reading my application and would like to extend a zoom interview with me, where I will have the opportunity to "tell us a bit more about your interests and goals for a History PhD, and allow us to answer any questions you may have about our program at this point". So, much less enthusiastic that yours haha. I wonder if its a personality difference or they're less sure about me than they are you.

Lol probably just personality difference! I also met my POI at the AHA 5 years ago when he came to my paper and introduced himself afterward so we're not *total* strangers. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Although I wonder if our zoom sessions are structured differently? Because it sounds like you'll have more than one person in on yours? Whereas mine sounds like it will *just* be my POI? I mean, I know we can overthink these things to death, but maybe yours is actually a better sign? As in, multiple people are willing to spend time talking with you? Idk. My POI said he "utterly disapproves of judging candidates by conversation rather than written work" but then says "But I was told to speak to you, so that's what I need to do." So who knows! 

I'm in early modern Europe. So at least we're not one another's direct competition! Cheers! ?

@emeraldsapphirewell, I think anyone who applies to PhD programs tend to be overthinkers (I certainly am an anxious over thinker, haha). But ya, the POI who emailed is not the one I spoke with over zoom a few months ago, so perhaps thats why there's more formality in the email. But yes, the two other latin americanists were CC'd in the email as well, so it seems like I will be speaking with all 3 latin americanists in the department. But perhaps this varies by subfield. 

im SO relieved youre not doing Latin American history (im actually in the early modern period as well, but for Latin American history) haha. So it seems like we won't have to worry about competing with each other for a spot. The other person in this thread who has an interview with Berkeley (flowers and coffee, they posted a couple posts above us) is apparently modern Europe. So that seems like a good sign that none of us are competing with each other.

1 minute ago, Imperator Totius Hispaniae said:

@emeraldsapphirewell, I think anyone who applies to PhD programs tend to be overthinkers (I certainly am an anxious over thinker, haha). But ya, the POI who emailed is not the one I spoke with over zoom a few months ago, so perhaps thats why there's more formality in the email. But yes, the two other latin americanists were CC'd in the email as well, so it seems like I will be speaking with all 3 latin americanists in the department. But perhaps this varies by subfield. 

im SO relieved youre not doing Latin American history (im actually in the early modern period as well, but for Latin American history) haha. So it seems like we won't have to worry about competing with each other for a spot. The other person in this thread who has an interview with Berkeley (flowers and coffee, they posted a couple posts above us) is apparently modern Europe. So that seems like a good sign that none of us are competing with each other.

Maybe we'll all be fellow cohort members instead! My guess is they're probably not admitting more than one person per subfield? I know my POI said in an earlier email that they'll be admitting a VERY small number this year, so I was totally not expecting to even get an interview/second look! 

@emeraldsapphire we may very well be! Honestly, based on what youre saying, perhaps this interview is more of a formality to ensure that we are serious about going to berkeley. But ya, the POI's ive spoken to at other schools have all said they're reducing the amount of people they're accepting. I was SHOCKED I even was offered an interview, because I thought for sure I didn't demonstrate a good enough fit in my SOP. 

How are you preparing for the "interview"?

Just now, Imperator Totius Hispaniae said:

@emeraldsapphire we may very well be! Honestly, based on what youre saying, perhaps this interview is more of a formality to ensure that we are serious about going to berkeley. But ya, the POI's ive spoken to at other schools have all said they're reducing the amount of people they're accepting. I was SHOCKED I even was offered an interview, because I thought for sure I didn't demonstrate a good enough fit in my SOP. 

How are you preparing for the "interview"?

Great question. I still need to find a way to concisely state my research interests verbally. (My parents asked me about my current master's thesis tonight at dinner and I started rambling). So that needs work. 

And think about how my work overlaps with POI's/other people in my subfield and how Berkeley could be a place for me to grow in my chosen area. 

And I think most of all, rehearse how I plan to sound enthusiastic about Berkeley. (It's hard when there's so many programs and/or funding opportunities I haven't heard back from to be able to rank choices yet). But I know the whole thing will be a no-go if I sound indecisive. Realllllly hoping POI doesn't press me on the "What's your top choice?" question or the "If we admit you, will you for sure come?" Because at the moment, I honestly have no idea. (Have gotten into 3 UK schools, but no word on funding yet). 

How are you prepping? 

@emeraldsapphire ya Ive been preparing the same way. Thats so funny about the rambling, because I have the same problem haha. I have a friend who is a PhD history student at Stanford, so I'm going to try and rehearse stating my rehearse interests more concisely. 

Yesterday and today I've been reading the POI's work so I can speak to it if asked, or at the very least demonstrate a fit between my work and theirs. 

But ya I'm going to make sure I sound enthusiastic, but I dont think that should be hard cuz I had a phenomenal zoom meeting with one of the other latin americanist POI's. but I agree I REALLY hope that the POI doesn't press me on what my top school is. I'm gonna ask my friend about what to do in that situation. 

When are you supposed to have your interview? Mine is this coming Monday at 2pm!

18 hours ago, Imperator Totius Hispaniae said:

Hey, my email said the exact same thing and I also had 2 historians cc'd, who may or may not attend the interview. And yes, I'm a modern Europeanist. Good luck! 

@flowersandcoffeeYa im really curious if the other two latin americanists that were CC'd will be there in the interview. I was looking through last year's results forum (saw some of your posts there), and it looks like if you get an interview, seems like you most likely (though not for sure) will get an acceptance? Glad you're not a latin americanist so we aren't competing haha. What day is your interview? I think I saw you interviewed last year Yale? any advice on what to say/questions to ask in these interviews?

10 minutes ago, Imperator Totius Hispaniae said:

it looks like if you get an interview, seems like you most likely (though not for sure) will get an acceptance? 

Wishful thinking that this is true for my interview as well ?