Using SSHRC Funding

Amelia Noelle

I've been offered SSRC funding, but I'm hesitating to accept because it seems like it's only possible to use it for very specific research tasks and not for tuition or living expenses. Can someone who has gotten SSHRC in the past tell me how you spent it?? Also, I applied for OGS and haven't heard back yet but figure that if I got CGS I'll probably get OGS, so I'm wondering if it would be better to wait and accept the OGS funding if I get it as I believe OGS doesn't have as many restrictions on using the funds. Is this the case?

3 minutes ago, Amelia Noelle said:

I've been offered SSRC funding, but I'm hesitating to accept because it seems like it's only possible to use it for very specific research tasks and not for tuition or living expenses. Can someone who has gotten SSHRC in the past tell me how you spent it?? Also, I applied for OGS and haven't heard back yet but figure that if I got CGS I'll probably get OGS, so I'm wondering if it would be better to wait and accept the OGS funding if I get it as I believe OGS doesn't have as many restrictions on using the funds. Is this the case?

Where does it say SSHRC funding can only be used research expenses?

https://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/using-utiliser/grant_regulations-reglement_subventions/strat_grants-subventions_strat-eng.aspx

The grant holder's guide for strategic grants lists a lot of regulations on using funds. Maybe this is for something else but it's the only explanation of using SSHRC funds that I could find. I would love to be wrong about this which I why I'm looking for someone who actually got the grant to tell me how they used it!!

14 hours ago, Amelia Noelle said:

https://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/using-utiliser/grant_regulations-reglement_subventions/strat_grants-subventions_strat-eng.aspx

The grant holder's guide for strategic grants lists a lot of regulations on using funds. Maybe this is for something else but it's the only explanation of using SSHRC funds that I could find. I would love to be wrong about this which I why I'm looking for someone who actually got the grant to tell me how they used it!!

You won a scholarship, not a grant. Here are the regulations for your SSHRC scholarship. Yes, this a NSERC webpage. Yes, this webpage is for SSHRC and CIHR scholarships too. See the table of contents' second section.

https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Guides-Guides/TriRTA-TriBFR_eng.asp#value

Edited by BTF