Preparing for MPH 2022 Canada

Hi all, I would really like it if anyone can help me out. For everyone who got accepted to u of T epidemiology, once you paid your deposit and uploaded the signed confirmation of admission letter, did you get any follow up emails? I see it received on my sgs portal  and have sent my official transcripts but no word on what to do next, do we just wait until june/july to register? I've sent an email a while ago but no response. If anyone has been able to contact people in the office and get an email back, mind sharing the email address?

30 minutes ago, mphpls said:

Same here, can't see it either

I am not sure how else to upload it. Here is a summary:

Mid B average over last 10 courses, however most successful applicants have an A or A- average in their final year, however excellent grades are not enough

stats requirement B+ is a must. won't be considered otherwise. must have a syllabus or course website that demonstrates that every required topic has been covered. can repeat the course if B+ was not acquired.

social science requirement: need at least 3-5 courses, however it is a social science program so more is probably better

letter of intent: express yourself cogently over the social determinants of health, understands health promotion on a deep level, know where you are going and what you want out of MPH

experience: health care experience not valued as much unless with marginalized populations. research is valued and so is volunteer experience in public health settings 

letters of reference: at least one academic recommended, also someone who can address your ability to work in the relevant settings 

Assuming nothing goes wrong with the final check through SGS, I found success following this.

47 minutes ago, Emerald15 said:

Hi all!

Congrats to everybody who has gotten accepted. Looking for some insight about waitlists. I got waitlisted to Queens a couple of weeks ago (they didnt tell me my ranking), does anybody know of schools or Queens that typically get in from the waitlist?

I also applied to McMaster, and got rejected today. Waiting on Uwaterloo now. Did my undergrad in public health, I have about 2 years in public health/health promo experience and overall average in my last two years was around 86%!

Just popping into say that I feel the pain! I'm number 1 on the waitlist for SFU and am eagerly awaiting some news. SFU let us know of our waitlist ranking without being prompted, maybe you could email Queens and ask for your position? 

Good luck!! ❤️ 

Edited by waitlistcanary

20 minutes ago, waitlistcanary said:

Just popping into say that I feel the pain! I'm number 1 on the waitlist for SFU and am eagerly awaiting some news. SFU let us know of our waitlist ranking without being prompted, maybe you could email Queens and ask for your position? 

Good luck!! ❤️ 

Thank you :), wishing you the best of luck also!

I unfortunately emailed them and they said they wouldn't be communicating any ranking until June...which sucks lol but oh well! I am hoping to here some good news from Waterloo! Hope you hear back from SFU!

Edited by Emerald15

21 minutes ago, jcat2222 said:

I am not sure how else to upload it. Here is a summary:

Mid B average over last 10 courses, however most successful applicants have an A or A- average in their final year, however excellent grades are not enough

stats requirement B+ is a must. won't be considered otherwise. must have a syllabus or course website that demonstrates that every required topic has been covered. can repeat the course if B+ was not acquired.

social science requirement: need at least 3-5 courses, however it is a social science program so more is probably better

letter of intent: express yourself cogently over the social determinants of health, understands health promotion on a deep level, know where you are going and what you want out of MPH

experience: health care experience not valued as much unless with marginalized populations. research is valued and so is volunteer experience in public health settings 

letters of reference: at least one academic recommended, also someone who can address your ability to work in the relevant settings 

Assuming nothing goes wrong with the final check through SGS, I found success following this.

thank you for this!

2 hours ago, mphstew said:

Congrats!! I am waiting on uWaterloo as well.

Would you mind sharing your stats?

Sure! I graduated with BSc in Biological Sciences, GPA ~88% (A/A+s in statistics and math courses, some social science courses, but majority is related to the sciences) I have several years of volunteering experience working with culturally and ethnically diverse individuals, and one work experience during the summer. I did science-based research during one summer and volunteered to help with public health research during another summer. One really cool experience I got was recruiting research participants by visiting outbreak sites in-person (I talked about this in my LOI and I think that's what helped me to stand out). 

I asked professor I took class with and supervisor at my summer work placement for references. At this work placement I also wrote a draft research proposal on a research topic related to public health (the research would be done by the organization but I suggested the idea to the organization). I didn't put all of this in my LOI of course but my whole application would mention all these things.

These aren't just stats but I remember trying to find any MPH applicants' info when I was applying to see how competitive I am (and sadly there weren't many and I didn't know anyone pursuing MPH) so I'll just put this here ?

So sorry to everyone who received a rejection from Mcmaster today :( . I've interacted with a few of you throughout and you all seem like such nice people. Definitely their loss, but I really hope you guys heard or hear from other schools! Wishing you guys the best! Whatever happens, keep yo head up, good things are coming.

I haven't heard back from them yet, definitely on edge. You for sure don't wanna know how many times I refreshed my email lol

For Waterloo applicants; I want to know for sure if the Master of Public Health is different from the MSc Public Health and Health Systems. It seems the people being accepted to Waterloo are applicants of the Master of Public Health not the latter.

2 hours ago, Junegyal said:

For Waterloo applicants; I want to know for sure if the Master of Public Health is different from the MSc Public Health and Health Systems. It seems the people being accepted to Waterloo are applicants of the Master of Public Health not the latter.

Yes I believe those are different! I received my emailed offer for the MPH earlier today, maybe they havent gotten to the MSc program yet!

On 4/1/2022 at 5:46 PM, ej42 said:

based on this, and not hearing back this week, I'm starting to assume it means waitlisted or rejected? what do you guys think... i am stressing!!!

I got waitlisted same time people received acceptances. Someone else posted that the response deadlines for acceptances was April 15th. I don't know if that helps in any way but someone else posted that they will be making updates soon?? good luck :) i hope you get in 

15 hours ago, Dd_mph said:

Does anyone know how many students (approx) are enrolled in Brock MPH program? (Class size?)

I saw somewhere on reddit that it was 70-80 but i do not know how accurate that is! I'm on the waitlist and PRAYING i get in. 

8 minutes ago, golf0918 said:

I saw somewhere on reddit that it was 70-80 but i do not know how accurate that is! I'm on the waitlist and PRAYING i get in. 

I heard it’s about 30-33 from a couple of people in the program right now. When I got my acceptance they sent an email saying “Admissions to the MPH program is very competitive..”Honestly, I just accepted my offer and I feel like they’re waiting for people to decline their offers. We had until April 15 so I believe that you should all receive an answer by AT LEAST April 15!!!!!!!!

hope u get in!!! I need some friends ?

Edited by Dd_mph

Just now, Dd_mph said:

I heard it’s about 30-33 from a couple of people in the program right now. Honestly, I just accepted my offer and I feel like they’re waiting for people to decline their offers. We had until April 15 so I believe that you should all receive an answer by AT LEAST April 15!!!!!!!!

hope u get in!!! I need some friends ?

omg im so happy someone else is awake going through this forum too ?  I sent an email to ask about updates prior to finding out about the april 15th deadline so I'll still update on what they say for anyone else on the waitlist too. Thank you! I also just joined this today and read everything so I'm not too familiar with grad cafe, is there a way to private message you?

1 minute ago, golf0918 said:

omg im so happy someone else is awake going through this forum too ?  I sent an email to ask about updates prior to finding out about the april 15th deadline so I'll still update on what they say for anyone else on the waitlist too. Thank you! I also just joined this today and read everything so I'm not too familiar with grad cafe, is there a way to private message you?

I just private messages you!

7 hours ago, greenflower said:

Yes I believe those are different! I received my emailed offer for the MPH earlier today, maybe they havent gotten to the MSc program yet!

Thank you for your response and Congrats on your offer!! I hope they get to it soon, it’s been a long wait 

8 hours ago, golf0918 said:

i got waitlisted as well and when i emailed, Dr Ludwa said they will update portals again at the beginning of May, June, July.. not sure if this helps

hi all! I'm new to this thread and just wanted to say how helpful and reassuring you've all been over this anxiety-inducing waiting period! :) I'm also currently waitlisted [and apparently high on the list too??] for Brock and just wanted to share, since I saw some people were asking about this, that in my emails Dr. Ludwa informed me that there are 40 spots in brock's mph program this year and 300+ applicants. Hoping for the best for everyone! ❤️ 

So I didn't apply to uOttawa MPH but I'm a current undergrad here and know some profs in the school of epi & public health, not sure if this is helpful for folks waiting on UO MPH but I heard some profs who review the MPH applications saying they have to finish reviewing their assigned applications by April 13th...again not sure if that's helpful but kinda gives you an idea of their timeline I guess