Preparing for MPH 2022 Canada

4 hours ago, Churning Life said:

Sorry to hear that but I'm happy to that you got into Queen's!!! This is really exciting!

I was wondering if you received an email notification from UofT or was it a reply from Suzanne? 

I received an email notification telling me there was an update to my application then on the portal it had the rejection! And thank you! It's just nice to finally have heard back from everywhere and wishing the best with your applications! 

On 4/8/2022 at 10:56 AM, korokk_22 said:

hi all! I'm new to this thread and just wanted to say how helpful and reassuring you've all been over this anxiety-inducing waiting period! :) I'm also currently waitlisted [and apparently high on the list too??] for Brock and just wanted to share, since I saw some people were asking about this, that in my emails Dr. Ludwa informed me that there are 40 spots in brock's mph program this year and 300+ applicants. Hoping for the best for everyone! ❤️ 

Hi! How did you find out that you were high on the waitlist? I tried emailing them this morning and Dr. Faught emailed me back saying, "Thank you for your interest in our MPH program.  We do not provide positioning within our waitlist under any circumstances. However, I can tell you, without certainty, that we have activated our waitlist in the past."

Hey guys I got rejected by Brock today. I feel my average may have been too low (3.4 GPA) and I applied after the application deadline too??

Thankfully I found a graduate certificate in Public Health that I can do instead. Good luck to all the other applicants❤️???

Edited by K97

40 minutes ago, mph.fu said:

Hi! How did you find out that you were high on the waitlist? I tried emailing them this morning and Dr. Faught emailed me back saying, "Thank you for your interest in our MPH program.  We do not provide positioning within our waitlist under any circumstances. However, I can tell you, without certainty, that we have activated our waitlist in the past."

Hey there! I emailed them around 2 weeks ago after finding out I was waitlisted asking about whether they could basically share any info about the waitlist+timeline to hear back and Dr. Ludwa was the one who responded to my email saying that she couldn't tell me my exact position but that it was near the top. Honestly I think I was just lucky that it was her who responded to my email bc she seems to be the most accommodating in terms of information lol. I'd try emailing again in a week or so and see if anyone else is willing to share any extra info for you! :) 

3 hours ago, K97 said:

Hey guys I got rejected by Brock today. I feel my average may have been too low (3.4 GPA) and I applied after the application deadline too??

Thankfully I found a graduate certificate in Public Health that I can do instead. Good luck to all the other applicants❤️???

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. You still gave it a shot, and I'm glad you found an alternative at the end! If you don't mind me asking, where will you be doing the graduate certificate? 

Does anyone have any insight on the MPH program at McMaster? How is the program overall and the atmosphere? I'm from B.C. and would love to know more about what it's like to live on campus/Hamilton area!

5 minutes ago, apple33 said:

Does anyone have any insight into U of A health promotion stream, I would greatly appreciate it! I’ve tried looking for Facebook groups. 

What sort of insight are you looking for? Have you been offered admission?

1 hour ago, HealthPromo1 said:

What sort of insight are you looking for? Have you been offered admission?

Yes I have, I’m just looking for a group to join or previous alumni opinions and advice for the program 

Edited by apple33

For anyone waiting on the University of Alberta, if your application status is still on "pre-screening" it's a sign you'll likely be rejected. This is a pattern I've noticed. I was rejected this morning after emailing them for an update. So just email them if you need an immediate answer.

I did receive an offer from western but the tuition is RIDICULOUS. 36K?? And no student loans allowed?? Is anyone else wondering how they're going to pay for this??

39 minutes ago, Aliyah7 said:

For anyone waiting on the University of Alberta, if your application status is still on "pre-screening" it's a sign you'll likely be rejected. This is a pattern I've noticed. I was rejected this morning after emailing them for an update. So just email them if you need an immediate answer.

I did receive an offer from western but the tuition is RIDICULOUS. 36K?? And no student loans allowed?? Is anyone else wondering how they're going to pay for this??

36 thousand for a one year program? 

That's bananas. I know they set up your practicum for you but honestly I'd rather apply to and set mine up myself anyway. That tuition cost is absurd

36 minutes ago, Canmph said:

That's bananas. I know they set up your practicum for you but honestly I'd rather apply to and set mine up myself anyway. That tuition cost is absurd

I know ?. It's 3x more expensive than any other Canadian MPH program. I'm considering declining the offer just because I don't have that kind of money.

36 minutes ago, Canmph said:

Honestly it seems expensive initially but when you factor in living expenses for two years for other programs + losing one year of income if completing a two year program, it balances out. Some two year programs might end up costing more money.

Got my rejection for UofT Health Promo today, I also emailed Suzanne yesterday and she let me know that I’ll receive my formal rejection next week and that this applies to everyone in the second/middle group of applicants who get reviewed another time after the first rounds of offers and rejections have gone out. 

Edited by StrawberriesNcream98

16 hours ago, BetOnIt said:

Honestly it seems expensive initially but when you factor in living expenses for two years for other programs + losing one year of income if completing a two year program, it balances out. Some two year programs might end up costing more money.

I know this is what Western also says on their website, but at least for programs I applied to, most were 16 months and so were much cheaper than the comparison they make on their website. I think they definitely raise the price of the "24 month program fees" comparison to make it seem like they are the better option because 36k for just program fees is ridiculous.

16 hours ago, Aliyah7 said:

I know ?. It's 3x more expensive than any other Canadian MPH program. I'm considering declining the offer just because I don't have that kind of money.

Having a program with OSAP will make a huuuge difference. The alternative would be to take out loans through a bank I'd guess but I'd guess the interest rates would be higher. I'd also ask the program directly what their payment schedule is, and if you can find a way to make multiple payments instead of like two large sums at fall/winter term.