Preparing for MPH 2022 Canada

2 hours ago, LiveLaughRun said:

I know this is what Western also says on their website, but at least for programs I applied to, most were 16 months and so were much cheaper than the comparison they make on their website. I think they definitely raise the price of the "24 month program fees" comparison to make it seem like they are the better option because 36k for just program fees is ridiculous.

I mean I can only speak for the programs that I've looked into but for example having looked at UofT's MPH, a 24-month program, total tuition for the program is $24,000 which isn't that far off from $36,000. Then factor in losing one year of income, say $65,000, then it's clear that that program, while a fantastic and very worthwhile program, simply has a greater time and cost investment.

Of course, time + cost investment are not the only factors to consider when choosing a program but to say "they definitely raise the price of the '24 month program fees' comparison" is not true at all and their comparison is actually exactly on point for one of the most popular MPH programs in Canada.

43 minutes ago, BetOnIt said:

I mean I can only speak for the programs that I've looked into but for example having looked at UofT's MPH, a 24-month program, total tuition for the program is $24,000 which isn't that far off from $36,000. Then factor in losing one year of income, say $65,000, then it's clear that that program, while a fantastic and very worthwhile program, simply has a greater time and cost investment.

Of course, time + cost investment are not the only factors to consider when choosing a program but to say "they definitely raise the price of the '24 month program fees' comparison" is not true at all and their comparison is actually exactly on point for one of the most popular MPH programs in Canada.

I guess i'm more looking at it from a newly graduated student perspective where you'd probably still work part time and not lose 65k lol (and not assuming you'd get a job immediately after graduating) but yeah I get it's more of a loss if you were a professional doing the program. I still just find the program to be extremely exclusive and not a justifiable cost even if it might save you some money in the long term since affording it in the moment is crazy but totally get that's dependent on the person and their situation :) (and oops didn't realize they were using UofT for that comparison my bad!) 

Edited by LiveLaughRun

4 hours ago, LiveLaughRun said:

I know this is what Western also says on their website, but at least for programs I applied to, most were 16 months and so were much cheaper than the comparison they make on their website. I think they definitely raise the price of the "24 month program fees" comparison to make it seem like they are the better option because 36k for just program fees is ridiculous.

Fair enough :) Side note: uOttawa's 16-month MPH is $30K+ But yeah I guess the one-year Western program is probably most attractive to professionals and recent grads using the degree as a transition/ expedient for med school/ law school, but the upfront cost might be harder to justify for others. I agree that the program is definitely not accessible enough.

Edited by BetOnIt

I emailed the U of A admission office and expected to get a rejection letter because my application status is still in “pre-screening”. The office replied to me saying that they are going to send out the remaining admission letters on Friday this week. Hopefully there is still chance to be admitted!

2 hours ago, Teresalu said:

I emailed the U of A admission office and expected to get a rejection letter because my application status is still in “pre-screening”. The office replied to me saying that they are going to send out the remaining admission letters on Friday this week. Hopefully there is still chance to be admitted!

I have till the 30th to accept my offer at U of A (I think it's the same for others). I would imagine that if people decline their offers more acceptances would go out after then. 

5 hours ago, ODA2022 said:

To those who got accepted to waterloo mph, when is the deadline to accept your offer? And what day of the week/time did you receive your offer? 

5 hours ago, HealthPromo1 said:

I’m wondering the same!

In the offer it should say somewhere, 2 weeks after the date on the letter.

10 minutes ago, T.O said:

Congratulations!! That’s so exciting. What were your stats if you don’t mind sharing? :)

Thank you! My GPA is 3.48/4 (about 87% overall average) and I have some co-op and volunteer experience related to public health. I think my academic background and statement of interest probably helped me stand out as I completed my undergrad in public policy and international relations. Honestly didn't think I was all that remarkable so am pleasantly surprised I got in! Hope that helps and good luck! :))

2 minutes ago, nerd80 said:

I really thought we'd hear something from Waterloo this week. The deadline top accept for the Apr 5 round of acceptances was Apr 19/2022.

Maybe next week? Waiting sucks. At least if I were rejected, I could make a plan and move forward. Waiting just feels so powerless...

I'm with you there. Maybe we will hear something tomorrow?

I'm quite anxious for a response. 

1 hour ago, KateMPH2020 said:

Hi! Anyone on the SFU waitlist get an offer yet? I am in the waitlist for a long time...

Hey! I am number 1 on the waitlist. I haven't heard anything yet, and people have mentioned that they've declined their SFU offers. I'm assuming that they are doing what some other universities are doing and waiting for a later specific date to activate the waitlist. 

I think that we can expect to hear back in May or June, depending on waitlist position!

7 minutes ago, lightbluebaby said:

Has anyone heard back from Mcmaster/Western waitlists? Also any updates on UofT health promo/epi?

Still waiting for UofT health promo updates as well. Getting anxious since they keep saying we'll get second rounds this/next week ?