Has anyone pursued the PhD in Clinical/Counseling after obtaining an MA in Counseling?

psych4life1

Hi y'all!

After some years of deliberation post-undergrad, I've finally decided to pull the plug and go for my MA in Counseling with the intent of becoming a licensed therapist. I'll be starting my program that's CACREP-accredited this fall so I have lots of time to prepare and plan carefully. Although my goal is to practice, I can't help but constantly think about getting involved in research/teaching/practice in the far future. It makes me wonder: should I go into the MA program with the intent of applying to PhD programs? I'm very passionate about multicultural counseling, bipolar disorder, LGBTQIA+, and these would be the focus of my research.

For a little background: I went into the MA route because I felt I didn't have a strong undergrad background. I went to a Top-25 school and graduated with a BA in Psychology with a 3.4 GPA (both overall and major). I definitely didn't engage in research back then because it just didn't seem interesting based off of my research method courses and some not-so-pleasant interactions with faculty. I ultimately focused on just professional growth and went on to work instead of focusing on academia.

Attending the grad program this fall sort of feels like a great opportunity to redeem myself. I plan to crush it academically and get involved in the research opportunities available. Although the program is heavy on practicums/internships/fieldwork, I spoke with some grads who actually successfully went on to PhD programs afterwards. Has anyone here gone through this process before where you went through an MA program first before going to a PhD program?

So far, here's the general pieces to focus on:

• Do well academically (i.e. get a good GPA, aim for a 4.0)
  • Get as much quality research experience as possible and form great connections with professors
  • Do well on GRE

Do field experience matter in PhD admissions or is it mainly research? Any general or specific advice would be lovely. BTW, I'm most interested in pursuing PhD programs in Counseling Psychology. Thank you!!

Edited by dxj5069

I think it depends on the program more than anything. In my personal experience I applied to Counseling and Clinical programs straight out of undergrad. I had a 3.6 GPA and mediocre GRE scores. I did have a good bit of research experience. The feedback that I got was that I didn't have enough clinical experience so I got either outrightly rejected or offered admission to their MA program.   I opted to join a Counseling MA program. My program isn't CACREP so I'm not required to do a thesis but I work part time in a lab on campus that relates to my interests. For this application cycle I applied to 3 Clinical and 3 Counseling. I was invited to interview at all of the Counseling programs and accepted to 2. I was rejected from the Clinical programs. I do think that I was less competitive for the Clinical programs due to me not doing a thesis or having much research these past two years outside of the part time work I've been doing. But I'll be joining a doc program this Fall and the other people in my lab also have Counseling MA's

From what you shared I think a Counseling MA program would be helpful for a Counseling PhD. I also think since its CACREP that could help with applying to Clinical PhDs (if you're interested in that) since you'll have a thesis. I would focus on taking classes that heavily relate to the topic you want to research, making strong connections with your faculty members, and doing your practicum/internship placement at a place that will allow you to get some clinical experience with the population you're interested in (if possible). I would also suggest looking into programs that are waiving the GRE if thats something you're worried about as well. I know many programs are continuing to still waive that requirement. If your program has a PhD program connected to it I would speak to some of the current doc students as well since some of them may be coming from MA programs as well.

I would also suggest letting your advisor know that a plan of yours is to apply for PhD programs so that they can help you make sure you're on the right track to be competitive. I hope this helps! 

I went to a CACREP- accredited Master's Program before applying for my PhD. I feel like if anything the experience has prepared me to work with clients in a clinical setting. I felt like it made my personal statement and essays a lot easier to write because I was able to narrow down exactly what I wanted to do after having the experience of seeing clients. My program had a practicum and internship which opened the door to a lot of presentations, outreach and advocacy opportunities. Which were all things I was able to add to my CV. I didn't individually pursue research during my Master's but I worked as a GA and a research assistant and that gave me experience working in a research lab. I am starting a Counseling Psych Phd program this Fall and because I came from a CACREP program I do not have to take any prereqs which is an added bonus. 

• 3 weeks later...

I currently just finished my MA in Psychology and will be applying to PhD programs in clinical psych this fall. Although my program was mainly coursework and clinical emphasis, I still found that it helped prepare me well for pursuing further graduate work (especially my undergrad GPA wasn't that awesome). I also held a full-time research lab position (clinical/ medical research) along the way in the program (since classes were all evening).

fingers crossed!

Edited by Neuropsy