Still anxiously waiting on the MSW program at SJSU.

26in2020void

I need to vent. I applied to San Jose State University’s Master of Social Work program on November 30th (the day before the deadline) and I haven’t heard anything. I know my procrastination is not a good look, but these applications are hard and I constantly second guess/overthink my essays. I’m seeing/hearing a lot of acceptances into SJSU’s program and I’m honestly losing hope because I got rejected from two MSW programs and I’m questioning if I’m even cut out for social work. I always thought I was because I’m empathetic and compassionate due to my struggles with mental and physical health, but what if they see through my BS that I thought was genuine? Part of me thinks my chances are high because I got my bachelor’s degree from SJSU, had a 3.8 university GPA with a 3.6 cumulative GPA, and was pretty involved on campus. Yet I’m fearful that it’s not enough because I don’t have enough experience or something else I had very little control over. At most, I volunteered at soup kitchens. The past month has been difficult and my mental health is at a new low. I feel worthless and like I won’t accomplish anything.

5 hours ago, 26in2020void said:

I need to vent. I applied to San Jose State University’s Master of Social Work program on November 30th (the day before the deadline) and I haven’t heard anything. I know my procrastination is not a good look, but these applications are hard and I constantly second guess/overthink my essays. I’m seeing/hearing a lot of acceptances into SJSU’s program and I’m honestly losing hope because I got rejected from two MSW programs and I’m questioning if I’m even cut out for social work. I always thought I was because I’m empathetic and compassionate due to my struggles with mental and physical health, but what if they see through my BS that I thought was genuine? Part of me thinks my chances are high because I got my bachelor’s degree from SJSU, had a 3.8 university GPA with a 3.6 cumulative GPA, and was pretty involved on campus. Yet I’m fearful that it’s not enough because I don’t have enough experience or something else I had very little control over. At most, I volunteered at soup kitchens. The past month has been difficult and my mental health is at a new low. I feel worthless and like I won’t accomplish anything.

Sorry to hear that! I didn’t apply to that program, but did applied for a master this year. I can understand your feelings and I also overthink my essays. But what is helping me is making plans for the future with a plan B that can be cancelled in case I get accepted to the master. 
It’s a hard year making plans, as I am in Brazil and everything is crazy/closed/dangerous, but I am trying to find a way of doing plans and also to do stuff I like and am passionate about. Hope you can find something to cope with and receive my hug from a distance! 

12 hours ago, Clarl said:

Sorry to hear that! I didn’t apply to that program, but did applied for a master this year. I can understand your feelings and I also overthink my essays. But what is helping me is making plans for the future with a plan B that can be cancelled in case I get accepted to the master. 
It’s a hard year making plans, as I am in Brazil and everything is crazy/closed/dangerous, but I am trying to find a way of doing plans and also to do stuff I like and am passionate about. Hope you can find something to cope with and receive my hug from a distance! 

Thank you for your empathy, dear. I wish you the best of luck with your applications, and if necessary your plan B. It’s hard how Covid-19 threw a damper on things and we have to worry about safety more than usual. I hope things in Brazil become safer soon so you can live life to the fullest, passions and all. Sending you hugs from a distance as well.

While I’m writing, here’s an update - I got waitlisted this afternoon. Sure, it’s better than a rejection but it’s not a great feeling knowing that they’re on the fence about me.