How can I boost my application and GRE scores?

gnort

Hello! I am going to be applying for clinical psychology PhD programs in the Fall (hoping to start in Fall 2022). I am currently obtaining a B.A. in psychology with a minor in gender and women's studies and have a 4.0. I have been working in a research lab since my freshman year (and I am joining a 2nd one this summer) and have experience as an undergrad T.A. for two semesters. I am not too great at standardized tests and just took a GRE practice exam with a pretty bad quant score. I also have not been in very many clubs throughout my undergrad, because I was busy working and performing in my university's choral program. What are some things that I can do this semester to boost my application? Additionally, what are some things that I can do to boost my quantitative score (I am pretty bad at math and it scares me!)? I am worried that my lack of participation in student clubs/bad math score might jeopardize my admission to some schools, what are your tips? Thank you so much, I greatly appreciate it!!

Clinical Psychology PhD programs don't really care about clubs. The Quant score may be a barrier though. Keep studying and see if you can boost it. If you can afford it, maybe one of those prep classes. Check out Magoosh for some additional resources. The biggest factor clinical psych programs look for is research match with your intended faculty mentor and research experience. You said you've been in a lab for several years. Do you have any posters at conferences or any publications? If not, definitely try to get your name on some research projects. Can you do a thesis? That's another good option.

On 5/30/2021 at 6:05 PM, PsyDuck90 said:

Clinical Psychology PhD programs don't really care about clubs. The Quant score may be a barrier though. Keep studying and see if you can boost it. If you can afford it, maybe one of those prep classes. Check out Magoosh for some additional resources. The biggest factor clinical psych programs look for is research match with your intended faculty mentor and research experience. You said you've been in a lab for several years. Do you have any posters at conferences or any publications? If not, definitely try to get your name on some research projects. Can you do a thesis? That's another good option.

Hello! Thank you for your input, I greatly appreciate it. I have a poster presentation from my freshman year, I participated in a paper chase last semester and am waiting for the publication, and I am currently gathering literature for my thesis! I assisted another lab member in creating questions in Qualtrics for another research project, but this is different from my thesis!