Princeton Theological Seminary's ThM

nopa98

Does anyone know how difficult it is to be accepted to Princeton's ThM program? And will having either an MDiv or MTS from an evangelical seminary hinder my chances in any way?  

I realize I may be looking too far ahead, but I'd at least like to form some kind of plan to which I can attempt to adhere going forward. My end goal is a PhD in biblical or theological studies. I'm currently a psychology undergrad at an R1 in NY, graduating next May with a 3.8. I then plan to get an MDiv or MTS from a reformed seminary (likely Calvin, RTS or Westminster). I'll then probably need a ThM to advance further, so I am currently very interested in Princeton's program. How competitive is it? And will having a masters from an evangelical seminary pigeonhole me out of acceptance? 

Further, I'm also curious how competitive PhD programs generally are at evangelical seminaries, if anyone can provide that kind of info. Thanks. 

Why don't you just apply for PTS's Mdiv directly? They have lots of fundings. Based on what I have heard from some alumni, PTS's ThM is very easy to get in. GPA requirement is around 3.2 when my friend applied. 

On 6/9/2021 at 5:20 PM, nopa98 said:

Further, I'm also curious how competitive PhD programs generally are at evangelical seminaries, if anyone can provide that kind of info. Thanks. 

You're wanting to do a M.Div at a reformed school, ThM at PTS, and then go back to the evangelical circle for a PhD?

Some evangelical schools can be fairly competitive, part. among such identifying applicants. The problem you face, realistically, is that a PhD from an evangelical school greatly diminishes the number of schools that you're realistically hire-able at. You're better off aiming to go to as "high" a school as you can and then go back to evangelical circles to teach.

• 1 month later...

You're completing an undergrad degree at an R1 in psychology? And then getting a PhD from an evangelical school? Reconsider your plans, please. I would even encourage you to stay at your R1 school and add another major, should this all not work out. There are practically no jobs in academia, unless you are okay with working as an adjunct (making less than 30k without benefits) after 10 years more of schooling. Even if you get a job, you will certainly pigeonhole yourself given the path you propose. I suppose with PTS you're better off than the evangelical schools, but PTS is still a seminary and thus carries little if any weight if you leave academia (once they learn it has no formal relationship with Princeton U, employers outside of theological circles will lump you in with any other random no-name seminary PhD).