Incoming Grad Student Shopping List

For therapy: 

- A mini whiteboard and different color expo markers. Index cards and sharpies are good too.

- 2-3 hand puppets (kids are sometimes better at talking to a puppet than to a new adult, and puppets present opportunities to demonstrate different linguistic concepts, especially in teletherapy)

- A mobile mouth model w/ moveable tongue can be super useful when physical modeling isn't cutting it

- A canva subscription/some other graphics program to build your own resources AND/OR TPT resources relevant to the clinics you're assigned to. 

- Explore Boomcards and Boardmaker, but wait until you start to see what your grad program may be able to provide to you so you're not paying out of pocket if you don't have to. 

- If you're going to be doing teletherapy, having a doc-cam can be helpful if you prefer writing by hand to typing. You can also buy digital pens that work on trackpads. 

- I highly recommend creating a system for organizing digital resources beforehand so that you can keep using any images you pull without having to dig far. For instance, I created a digital sticker slide-set that has every GIF or image I've ever pulled, organized by theme. Now, if I have to make a new activity, I can very rapidly copy/paste those assets into new docs. It's literally cut my lesson planning down by like 60%. 

For class: 

- Notability if you like being able to write directly on PDFs easily

- Zotero

- Join your NSSLHA chapter if you haven't already to get access to ASHA pubs/leader

- Master Clinician and Simucase are also great. You may want to hold off on Simucase because your program may have a student discount code available, which cuts the cost significantly. 

I would def. hold off on Simucase subscription for now- your program may have a discount or provide you with the subscription (it's rolled into your course fees). During these Covid times, universities are relying on Simucase for competencies and clockhours as some medical establishments are not accepting students or very few students. Same with Speechpathology.com subscription. We've completed some of those for additional information from lectures. They are really good and packed full of evidence based research information. 

Epson EcoTank printer. I cannot stress how much I LOVE my ecotank. I didn't think I would print as much as I have in grad school, but I was wrong. This will come in handy when you are printing notes for class or materials for therapy. I do have a small personal laminator, but meh. I have been a SLPA for 6 years so I have had unlimited access to lamination at work. If I choose to leave the schools or go to a new district with lamination limits, I can probably take it to a store like Mardels (Christian books/teacher store) and pay for lamination. It would probably come out cheaper and not be super stiff like the lamination pouches are. 

I would suggest the Giant mouth model- https://www.amazon.com/Ultrassist-Brushing-Teaching-Childrean-Toothbrush/dp/B0842N6W9B/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Mouth+Model&qid=1626828311&sr=8-5   I unscrew the tongue sometimes because it can be hard to demonstrate tongue placement. 

Def. be prepared to spend some good money on TpT resources, but there are a ton of good freebies. Same with boom cards. With TpT, if you buy a growing bundle early on, you save serious money later on as they add to it. Its one time and you get all of the updated material. I lucked out with some freebies that turned into paid files-I get those updates too!

I would also invest in the Super Duper 6 in 1 therapy center. https://www.superduperinc.com/products/view.aspx?pid=mir78#.YPduoehKg2w  Its pricey at $99, but I love it and use it a LOT. The mirror is actually great quality and when I am in a therapy spot without a mirror, its been a lifesaver. 

If you have an iPad, get the Mr. Potato Head app. I've used it so many times and esp with Covid, you can wipe the screen vs all of the Mr. Potato Head pieces. I would also watch for the Articulation Station/Stories apps. They are pricey but go on sale at least 1 time a year. 

Games- connect 4, Candy Land, Chutes and Ladders, Uno, playing cards, fishing game, etc. Those are super motivating in therapy. I would definitely use the clinic's games BUT keep an eye out for these during Black Friday sales and start building your therapy stash now. 

Plastic organization items. I have one that was meant for scrapbooking- its how I store a language bundle I bought on TpT and a second one for cycles bundle. https://www.michaels.com/rainbow-photo-and-craft-keeper-by-simply-tidy/10468242.html

A LOT of these things are probably available to you as a student in the university clinic site. You may not have access to some of this in an outpatient facility and you need to supply some of your own items. I would slowly start buying this while you can so once you've graduated and an intern it won't make your wallet hurt as bad. 

Honestly, I would hold off on buying clinic materials and miscellaneous supplies until you see what your grad program has to offer. My grad clinic had tons of toys, games, totes bags, art supplies, and more. I did make good use of a clipboard with storage and a digital recorder with a USB drive. I bought almost nothing else for clinic all through school, and even now a year into my career. 

Now, for classes it all depends on how you learn/study/focus best. I used individual notebooks for each class and took handwritten notes with good pens. I also had a planner that broke down each day by hour. 

As far as clinic clothes, wait to see if your grad program has a specific outfit, like scrubs or a shirt with the clinic name, but chances are you'll be in business casual clothing. For women, that means a dress that's not too short or a blouse/skirt/slacks combo with shoes (probably closed-toe) that aren't sneakers. For men, a button down shirt and slacks should cover it. Don't expose cleavage or wear shirts that can expose your tummy. 

I agree with the post above! However, I'd definitely get a laminator+lamination sheets and velcro dots. My university clinic materials room didn't have those but if yours does have a laminator+the sheets I'd hold off for a bit. A clipboard that opens is also handy too!