Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

I did not apply to Iceland, but I applied to Norway. Funny enough I did not apply for ASF, which in hindsight was really not a smart move. I do not know what I was thinking, but my plans were much less clear back then. Did you apply for ASF, and any other scandinavian applicants out there?

Good luck, hopefully we will hear soon! All Norway people had heard back by this time last year :(

Hi Norway! It's definitely tough to plan so far in advance and juggle all the different grant/academic applications at once - it seems like something always slip by and you later think "if only I'd gone for that then everything would have been perfect..."

I got excited when I started to see the Finland notifications trickle in, but I'm guessing there's no Nordic unity when it comes to Fulbright notifications. Good luck!!

Hey there Salt, dare we join in on filling up Rachel's e-mail inbox?

Hey,

Don't know why it didn't occur to me to share this earlier but I emailed Rachel and she got back to me on March 17 with this:

"We're still waiting on a confirmation of budget, so although selections have been made, we won't be issuing notifications for another 1-2 weeks at least."

Hey,

Don't know why it didn't occur to me to share this earlier but I emailed Rachel and she got back to me on March 17 with this:

"We're still waiting on a confirmation of budget, so although selections have been made, we won't be issuing notifications for another 1-2 weeks at least."

Ah! Thank you! I guess since all the other Iceland applicants have been silent bystanders (myself included until now) it might have seemed like there wasn't an audience.

Best of luck to you!

I applied for an ASF to Norway, but I got the letter two days ago stating I didn't get it :(

Hopefully that is not the case for Fulbright.

Sorry to hear that :( Hopefully everyone on this form who applied for Norway will be amongst those chosen for Norway :)!

I also caved and e-mailed J. Jones and asked about Morocco notifications and about the status of the program for next year because of all the unrest in the Middle East. I'm sure Morocco is fine, but maybe he'll mention something about the status of other programs in the Middle East. I'll let you guys know if he does!

Last year Morocco applicants heard around 3/10-3/15, so hopefully soon. Ahh.

hey,

i emailed the country rep (in israel) about potential decision dates and whether the mid east unrest would affect my project; she said she was "not at liberty" to respond to any of my questions and forwarded them to jj. he responded by saying i could expect a response between now and june and that he didn't know any more. he said none of the current fulbrighters had been affected by the turmoil and so didn't think it would hold up this year's decisions...can you let me know what he says about morocco?

Hi all! I have a quick question for award recipients (congrats, by the way!): did your campus advisers know about your acceptance before or after you did? Do they receive some sort of notification from IIE? From the host country?

Thanks!

Hi all! I have a quick question for award recipients (congrats, by the way!): did your campus advisers know about your acceptance before or after you did? Do they receive some sort of notification from IIE? From the host country?

Thanks!

They have no idea because awards/notification come via snail mail to your current address (or it seems to be mostly current address). Plus, not all applicants applied through their university.

I'm not sure if they receive some sort of notification AFTER the fact, but I could ask my advisor.

An excerpt from an email from my fulbright advisor's office:

"We have heard that Fulbright has begun notifying students. Since we do not usually get notification until all of the countries have made their decisions, would it be possible for you to let us know when you have heard from them?"

So no, they do not find out until after all decisions have been made.

Another Iceland applicant here. I applied to the ASF grant also and haven't received my letter yet, so am on pins and needles for both!

Has anyone received a successful ASF Grant yet?

I received an ASF award for 20K to Sweden three days ago, so they should be out in the mail now. The letter said I have three weeks to respond.

Has anyone else applied for a Fulbright to Sweden?

Good luck to all!

Edited by megomental

Just wanted to let all Norway applicants out there know, I just called Rachel and she said "we are mailing some Norway letters today"!! Hopefully some of us will be hearing the news early next week!!

AHH can't stand the waiting!!

Congratulations to everyone who has received awards!!

For those who did not receive an award, I hope you find that nothing was lost in this process. . .

Those still w a i t i n g... may you have an answer soon!

:)

Any other grantees waiting to receive US medical clearance?? I am wondering how long this process takes. I heard from Austria they will submit grant authorization documents once they have clearance.

Edited by muscndanz

I also caved and e-mailed J. Jones and asked about Morocco notifications and about the status of the program for next year because of all the unrest in the Middle East. I'm sure Morocco is fine, but maybe he'll mention something about the status of other programs in the Middle East. I'll let you guys know if he does!

Last year Morocco applicants heard around 3/10-3/15, so hopefully soon. Ahh.

Hey Jazzz, any word from Jermaine? I promised myself I would only email him once a month from now on so he doesn't feel that I'm harassing him :) So I have to wait a few more weeks before I bother him again. any news on the middle east is appreciated!

To German grantees (full grant), if you weren't selected for a language course, you might be able to still snag a spot if you email them using the email provided in the second letter you receive. I think ETAs need to be proficient, but full research grantees just need to have a "basic proficiency". While I've had German classes, it's been a while and so I just emailed them to see if I could get into it! So if are interested, I'd just email them. There's no harm in asking!

Also, remember to schedule a physical exam when you receive your award b/c they want to receive the medical clearance form within three weeks of when you receive the letter!

Hi all! I've been reading this for weeks and figured its about time to join in. Congratulations to everyone who has received grants and good luck to all those still waiting!! anyone heard any news from the western hemisphere region? specifically the Caribbean?

ANOTHER PERSON FOR SOUTH AFRICA! Finally! have you heard anything at all about what or when we should be expecting? Are you doing full grant or ETA?

south africa here, and i'm an undergrad history major. you?

Ranita- he only responsed saying Morocco notifications are still pending and has no idea when they'll be in (he said hopefully within the month). He didn't answer my other question about the status of the program, damnit. I don't want to bother him again by asking again lol...

Oh well... at least I feel like I can calm down a bit now with checking the mail. I'll allow myself to start worrying again in a month. Until then, hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised to find something in the mail. :)

Hello everyone. Congrats to those who have heard. I never even thought of looking for a Fulbright Forum until today. I'm a finalist for a Korean ETA award. I'm hoping to find out soon, along with everyone. Thanks for all of the helpful information that I've read so far. Good luck everyone.

Just emailed Jonathan Akeley for East Asia. Wasn't able to give me any concrete dates but he said that Korea ETA have been released early to mid April (just like last year's spreadsheet) so I guess we have only a few more weeks to go...