Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

Mid-June? For real? For really real? The 2010-11 spreadsheet shows notifications in early-mid May. But if you know for sure it's June...well....ugh. I just want to be able to plan my life.

Your right,.. I was mentally prepared for June but it is May. Either way, it's still a long time.

I got a strange automated call today advising me to apply for government grants to start a small business. I thought it was something Fulbright-related until I realized it was just a junk call.

What an annoying time to get that call!

Does anyone else have Jonathan Akeley (South Asia and Pacific) for an IIE? He hasn't returned any of my emails that I sent him in the past week, and I was wondering if anyone else had trouble getting in contact with him too.

Every time I call Jonathan a Jamaican lady picks up the phone blink.gif. I've been calling Jonathan for a few weeks now and never spoke to him directly, which is weird. Either he's never at his desk or he is avoiding applicant calls :(. It is very frustrated in my opinion.

My question was in regard to Russia Fulbright applicants, so I assume that her answer applies to all of us. I mentioned to her that I would share the info on the forum. =)

Darn it. I was looking at the spreadsheet from last year thinking it'd be any day now that I'd find out. Oh well...it could be worse.

I keep watching this thread hoping someone can answer my questions about being an alternate that I already posted here a few pages ago, but, of course, I have some more. Did anyone on here apply last year? If so, what made you want to try again? Do you think it is worth it to re-apply and have to wait another whole year? Did you rewrite your essays entirely?

Edited by readtowin

Does anyone have the details of the medical forms? I am having my physical exam done beforehand just to be ready (my doctor said she can fill out the forms afterwards based on the previous exam & my records). I want to make sure I have the appropriate immunizations & tests (I am applying for Europe, if that makes any difference).

I remember reading that we needed to get a TB skin test (aka PPD) can anyone confirm this? Also, is the Hepatitis B vaccination required, and do we need to show blood test lab results (titers) or just documentation of the shots? Any details on required immunizations/ vaccinations are MUCH appreciated!

:D Finally, I want to extend a big CONGRATS to all of you accepted Fulbrighters and GOOD LUCK to all of you (like me) who are still waiting on the "large manila envelope" of glory!

Here is a repost of the spreadsheet just in case anyone new who joined wants to add their stuff and hadn't seen it in the older posts!

https://spreadsheets...=CNHpkd4P#gid=8

:)

I don't understand why people must DELETE rows (i.e. the first row) when they just simply have to INSERT or ADD their information at the bottom. ARGH.

OR randomly make columns huge, when they don't need to be the 1/4 of my screen.

Edited by crimsonengineer87

Skip this if you are sick of hearing people talk about how stressful the wait is. I just need to let it out. You're the only people who understand and I need support, hahaha.

The wait is starting to get sooooo stressful for me. I graduated undergrad in December, so I don't even have school to distract me anymore. Luckily I was able to travel from Jan 1st to mid-March. I've been home for almost two weeks now, tentatively job searching. Partly because I don't know whether to look for a temporary job or a "real job", lacking 100% motivation to apply to either because I just don't know what the heck is happening, learning toward the temporary job so I could do that until I find something better, but at the same time, now is recruitment season, so I know I should be looking for a real job, but I won't be able to commit if I get the Fulbright. My last semester was so stressful I didn't have the time/energy to apply for anything other than the Fulbright (well, also because I hadn't taken my GRE yet and wanted to wait a year before before going to grad school. I needed a break). So I really have no back-up "thing to do" if the Fulbright falls through. It's ok though, I know it's 100% my fault for letting myself put my life on hold for only this one super super super super competitive thing and I realize how lucky I will be if I get it, considering it's the only thing I applied to... but oh god I just want to know already!! I want to be able to know whether to go for the temporary job or the real job, to know whether this summer I should enroll in a GRE course or an Arabic course. I know I probably only have to wait another month, which is really nothing, but the days are passing sooooooo slowly, mainly because I think about it all the time and don't have much else to distract me at the moment. I'm just so thankful Jan-March went by so quickly with all the excitement of traveling.

Either way, if I don't get it I realize it's not the end of the world. There are so many other things I could do. I'm pretty set on going abroad and teaching English for a bit anyway, and of course it would be really nice to have the support and prestige of the Fulbright because, well... it's a Fulbright... and I think it would be difficult to independnetly go to an Arab country right now and find a job without it, but I know there are definitely other ways I could go abroad... if not an Arab country, I'll just go to South America and work on my Spanish instead. As long as one has motivation anything is possible! Ahh... I feel better already just having written this lol.

Does anyone have the details of the medical forms? I am having my physical exam done beforehand just to be ready (my doctor said she can fill out the forms afterwards based on the previous exam & my records). I want to make sure I have the appropriate immunizations & tests (I am applying for Europe, if that makes any difference).

I remember reading that we needed to get a TB skin test (aka PPD) can anyone confirm this? Also, is the Hepatitis B vaccination required, and do we need to show blood test lab results (titers) or just documentation of the shots? Any details on required immunizations/ vaccinations are MUCH appreciated!

:D Finally, I want to extend a big CONGRATS to all of you accepted Fulbrighters and GOOD LUCK to all of you (like me) who are still waiting on the "large manila envelope" of glory!

Hi, I'm looking at the lab stuff. My doctor has the actual for so he can review it before hand. I spent the past few hours scrambling with my doctor's office to make sure I'd had everything in. I thought about scheduling a physical in advance, but I was afraid I'd jinx it (silly, I know).

There is a TB test, hematology (Heatocrit, Hemoglobin, WBC, Granulocytes, Lymphocytes, Eosinophils, other?), the basics (cholesterol, blood glucose, Creatinine, Uric Acid, SGPT, SGOT, Alk Phos, Billrubin), and a urinalysis. The optional tests are: sickle hemoglobin and serology. It is a fasting test.

There are some extra test for if you are over forty.

The other part of the examination is the physical itself, but you can easily do what I'm doing and get the lab stuff done a week before to make sure everything is in.

We have to look on the countries site (the government's site, not fulbright) to get the details of the immunizations.

Hey Mgla, see you in Wroclaw! Assuming I pass all of the crazy forms and tests, of course...

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting

Crimson: Thank you keeping track of the spreadsheets! You rock!

Edited by xylogirl10

I don't understand why people must DELETE rows (i.e. the first row) when they just simply have to INSERT or ADD their information at the bottom. ARGH.

OR randomly make columns huge, when they don't need to be the 1/4 of my screen.

Hey, crimson. How do I add my information to the spreadsheet?

Cheers

Skip this if you are sick of hearing people talk about how stressful the wait is. I just need to let it out. You're the only people who understand and I need support, hahaha.

The wait is starting to get sooooo stressful for me. I graduated undergrad in December, so I don't even have school to distract me anymore. Luckily I was able to travel from Jan 1st to mid-March. I've been home for almost two weeks now, tentatively job searching. Partly because I don't know whether to look for a temporary job or a "real job", lacking 100% motivation to apply to either because I just don't know what the heck is happening, learning toward the temporary job so I could do that until I find something better, but at the same time, now is recruitment season, so I know I should be looking for a real job, but I won't be able to commit if I get the Fulbright. My last semester was so stressful I didn't have the time/energy to apply for anything other than the Fulbright (well, also because I hadn't taken my GRE yet and wanted to wait a year before before going to grad school. I needed a break). So I really have no back-up "thing to do" if the Fulbright falls through. It's ok though, I know it's 100% my fault for letting myself put my life on hold for only this one super super super super competitive thing and I realize how lucky I will be if I get it, considering it's the only thing I applied to... but oh god I just want to know already!! I want to be able to know whether to go for the temporary job or the real job, to know whether this summer I should enroll in a GRE course or an Arabic course. I know I probably only have to wait another month, which is really nothing, but the days are passing sooooooo slowly, mainly because I think about it all the time and don't have much else to distract me at the moment. I'm just so thankful Jan-March went by so quickly with all the excitement of traveling.

Either way, if I don't get it I realize it's not the end of the world. There are so many other things I could do. I'm pretty set on going abroad and teaching English for a bit anyway, and of course it would be really nice to have the support and prestige of the Fulbright because, well... it's a Fulbright... and I think it would be difficult to independnetly go to an Arab country right now and find a job without it, but I know there are definitely other ways I could go abroad... if not an Arab country, I'll just go to South America and work on my Spanish instead. As long as one has motivation anything is possible! Ahh... I feel better already just having written this lol.

I'm in similar predicament too. I am an alternate and I don't have a back-up plan yet either. Fulbright was my plan, especially since I haven't been able to find a job of any kind in a few years and I wanted to teach English abroad.

Every time I call Jonathan a Jamaican lady picks up the phone blink.gif. I've been calling Jonathan for a few weeks now and never spoke to him directly, which is weird. Either he's never at his desk or he is avoiding applicant calls :(. It is very frustrated in my opinion.

Tweety, he' s been pretty responsive to my emails (he even remembered that I'm for the Korea ETA even though I didn't mention it in my email) but I found that he is not er...not really helpful. When I asked how I would know if my transcript was received and how to follow up, he just said that there's no one they can keep track of everyone's email. :/ Keep trying though but at this point, I don't think he has much information to divulge.

Well, I haven't actually seen my letter yet -- apparently it went to my school (I graduated in Dec) but I got someone to read it for me on the phone.... so it looks like I'm going to Poland! But I don't think I'll really believe it until I see the letter...

I'm already worried about all the health stuff, though. I don't currently have a primary care doc and there's so much medical stuff to get out of the way. Anyone else in this situation? What's the best thing to do?

Well, I haven't actually seen my letter yet -- apparently it went to my school (I graduated in Dec) but I got someone to read it for me on the phone.... so it looks like I'm going to Poland! But I don't think I'll really believe it until I see the letter...

I'm already worried about all the health stuff, though. I don't currently have a primary care doc and there's so much medical stuff to get out of the way. Anyone else in this situation? What's the best thing to do?

Are you in Brooklyn? There has to be a clinic somewhere in NYC where they can give you a physical for $60 or less. Lab work for the blood and urine test though could be a problem though. Not sure if you have transportation, but my doctor referred me to this place: http://www.passporthealthusa.com/new-jersey/ for my vaccines. She said they work with you financial situation. Haven't had time to really research this place yet though, but it's worth a try.

Hi all, like many I've been reading the board for quite some time now, but am only now getting around to posting. I'm applying for the Ukraine program and was wondering if anyone had gotten any updates on when they'll send out notification/rejection letters? Rumor had it that it should be soon, despite what last years spreadsheet shows. I don't want to bug Rachel again for a while....

Edited by Kolobok

I definitely feel the anxiety of the other applicants. I cannot believe it is only March 31st! I cannot bear to wait two more weeks...what is the delay?! I really dont want to nag the IIE people, but I feel like they should be able to give us some information!!!

Has anyone heard back from Rachel about Spain's timeline?

I emailed Rachel yesterday about whether or not we would know by next week since I have to accept or decline another offer, and she said:

"To my knowledge, they won’t go out by this Friday."

So I guess we know that it will be a bit longer before they go out, but she would not say when.

I definitely feel the anxiety of the other applicants. I cannot believe it is only March 31st! I cannot bear to wait two more weeks...what is the delay?! I really dont want to nag the IIE people, but I feel like they should be able to give us some information!!!

Couldn't agree more! I am not understanding the delay. For example regarding Norway some decisions were mailed last friday and the rest will be mailed "within the week". I do not understand the large gap between decision notification, and why when you ask they dodge the question.. I am just hoping they will ACTUALLY be mailed out "within the week" which I guess means at the latest next Thursday, but they are so late this year (according to the past 2 years) I just feel like I am going to be waiting forever! sigh :( It is really hard knowing some people from my country have decisions already, and I do not.. and not knowing what that means..

Edited by Norway2011

Couldn't agree more! I am not understanding the delay. For example regarding Norway some decisions were mailed last friday and the rest will be mailed "within the week". I do not understand the large gap between decision notification, and why when you ask they dodge the question.. I am just hoping they will ACTUALLY be mailed out "within the week" which I guess means at the latest next Thursday, but they are so late this year (according to the past 2 years) I just feel like I am going to be waiting forever! sigh :( It is really hard knowing some people from my country have decisions already, and I do not.. and not knowing what that means..

I've seen seen the spreadsheet for 2010-2011 but is there one for 2009-2010? If so, can you post it please?

I emailed Rachel yesterday about whether or not we would know by next week since I have to accept or decline another offer, and she said:

"To my knowledge, they won’t go out by this Friday."

So I guess we know that it will be a bit longer before they go out, but she would not say when.

Bummer. At least that sounds better than the "We're still waiting on the Foreign Scholarship Board" or "Within the next few weeks" response...

Edited by raindance

I've seen seen the spreadsheet for 2010-2011 but is there one for 2009-2010? If so, can you post it please?

There is not one that I know of, but my FPA had the notification dates for 2009 for some countries, Norway being one of them, and it was March 17th for both 2009 and 2010.. so not quite understanding the major delay that is happening! ugh.

I was one of those people today (I had to update my address anyway). She was kind enough to tell me that the Macedonian notification letters should be sent out in the next two weeks. At least now I know it wont come today or tomorrow and can get on with work.

I'm glad you posted this. I am applying for a Macedonia ETA and have been sitting on my hands to avoid pestering the certainly very busy staff.

What have you applied for? I am assuming they send both Grad and Undergrad results at the same time--does this seem to be the case?

Best of luck!