Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

This may just be a rumor, but I think I remember hearing that your schools on-campus Fulbright adviser may be able to find out your ranking as an alternate. It may depend on how close they are to the Fulbright office, but they might be able to request that info for you.

Hope that helps.

I talked to my FPA not too long ago, hoping to pry some information from IIE. However, she wasn't able to get any info. Then again, she may not have been that close to IIEers.

hehe, I love this forum, it is so in accordance with the mail.. On sundays no mail= new no posts! :)

Have a great Sunday everyone, and cross your fingers for some good news coming our way in the mail this week! laugh.gif

Edited by Norway2011

Does anyone know what happens to an application if sudden security unrest appears in a country during the process? Does the Fulbright Committee give you a grant dependent on the security situation bettering?

Does anyone know what happens to an application if sudden security unrest appears in a country during the process? Does the Fulbright Committee give you a grant dependent on the security situation bettering?

In my (admittedly limited) experience, Fulbright will continue to award grants even in the presence of unrest. HOWEVER, once you "win" the grant, social conditions will have to improve before Fulbrighters can actually go to the host country.

Egypt last year is a good example: they awarded in June, but most/all of the granted ETAs were ultimately re-routed to Jordan, Morocco, etc. Research fellows did head to Egypt to begin their projects but were ordered back after the Revolution began in January. They will hopefuly get to complete their Fulbright terms once the State Dept. ends its travel ban.

As a fellow applicant to a country with some "interesting" times of late, the best barometer I can offer you is to keep abreast of what the State Dept. says about travel to your country. Fulbright (and many other granting agencies, for that matter) will not disburse funds for a country under a "Travel Ban," or in the event of an "Ordered Departure" of American citizens. Should neither of these Travel Warnings go into effect, though, Fulbright IIE will likely diburse awards.

The silver lining, however, is that Fellows are still "awarded" the grant even if travel is impossible--- but this would create a new kind of limbo where you would have to wait out a Travel Ban before beginning your work.

Hope this helps

....of course, the best way to get country-specific advice on social/poltical situations and the Fulbright Program, I'd advise you to email your Regional Head. I was in contact with Jermaine Jones with these issues last year and he was very helpful.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, Fulbright will continue to award grants even in the presence of unrest. HOWEVER, once you "win" the grant, social conditions will have to improve before Fulbrighters can actually go to the host country.

Egypt last year is a good example: they awarded in June, but most/all of the granted ETAs were ultimately re-routed to Jordan, Morocco, etc. Research fellows did head to Egypt to begin their projects but were ordered back after the Revolution began in January. They will hopefuly get to complete their Fulbright terms once the State Dept. ends its travel ban.

As a fellow applicant to a country with some "interesting" times of late, the best barometer I can offer you is to keep abreast of what the State Dept. says about travel to your country. Fulbright (and many other granting agencies, for that matter) will not disburse funds for a country under a "Travel Ban," or in the event of an "Ordered Departure" of American citizens. Should neither of these Travel Warnings go into effect, though, Fulbright IIE will likely diburse awards.

The silver lining, however, is that Fellows are still "awarded" the grant even if travel is impossible--- but this would create a new kind of limbo where you would have to wait out a Travel Ban before beginning your work.

Hope this helps

Thanks for this, I appreciate the help. Hell of a time to apply for a Fulbright :/

At least we are in April already so more notifications will go out soon and its will be probably be these three weeks in the middle of April.

Does anyone know where the State Department finds the additional funds that become available in late spring? Will there be less this year because of the budget? Does the money get spread out over all the countries?

Edited by readtowin

Hi everyone! I'm new here and am also watching the mail every day. Any word on central asia? I'm a finalist for Tajikistan. Thanks! Good-luck to you all!

Does anyone know where the State Department finds the additional funds that become available in late spring? Will there be less this year because of the budget? Does the money get spread out over all the countries?

Readtowin: I hate to say it, but I think you need to relax a little bit and quit asking so many questions. Things'll work out.

I really hope you get off the alternate list smile.gif because you REALLY REALLY want Fulbright. You are an alternate for which country?

Good Luck with everything

Hi everyone! I'm new here and am also watching the mail every day. Any word on central asia? I'm a finalist for Tajikistan. Thanks! Good-luck to you all!

I also applied for Central Asia (Kazakhstan). Apparently last year most Central Asia people received notification around April 15, so that would be a good benchmark.

Kazakhstan is great! Good-luck to you and thanks for the info. The waiting is definitely the worst part of this process!

I also applied for Central Asia (Kazakhstan). Apparently last year most Central Asia people received notification around April 15, so that would be a good benchmark.

If you read last year's thread, I think it also depends on each country's funds. I think Turkey somehow found more funds for more ETAs. But I'd just email your regional adviser to try and see what number you are on that list. But it is still early in the game as others mentioned, and at least you have that to your advantage ... I mean, you could have been notified as an alternate late May!

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if for full grants where you're planning on taking classes at the university (in addition to doing research) it's necessary to apply to the university independently? I'm wondering if the Fulbright application is sufficient, or if you have to do an additional application. Thanks!

ReadtoWin I completely identify with your level of excitement and passion for the fulbright fellowship. Actually I just finished reading the 2010-2011 fulbright orientation handbook haha. Obsessed much? But try to focus on other things to take your mind off of the angst. To be honest, coming on this forum might not be that helpful. The amount of stress and anxiety from our fellow finalists can only make matters worst. I know this website certainly stresses me the hell out. :)

even still I can't stop myself. sigh

Has anyone heard recently from Clara Doble about when Germany ETA results will be mailed out?

As far as I know, Germany ETA's are still hanging in the dark. No information what so ever. Hoping to get a letter this week. I did email Cara on Friday, regarding something else, but hoping she will give a hint as to when we will here. I can't believe it is so much later than last years notification. I was really hoping we would hear by March, but hopefully soon! Let me know if you hear anything!

As far as I know, Germany ETA's are still hanging in the dark. No information what so ever. Hoping to get a letter this week. I did email Cara on Friday, regarding something else, but hoping she will give a hint as to when we will here. I can't believe it is so much later than last years notification. I was really hoping we would hear by March, but hopefully soon! Let me know if you hear anything!

Yep, still in the dark here too. E-mailed her a week or so ago to see if she knew, got the same stock response ("still waiting on official approval" etc) received by some other people on the forum. Hopefully it's this week, I'd really like to know what I'm doing next year... also, I think it would be hilarious to hear back from the Austrian program before the German, traditionally it's looked like Austria has been behind Germany in notifications, but maybe not this time?

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if for full grants where you're planning on taking classes at the university (in addition to doing research) it's necessary to apply to the university independently? I'm wondering if the Fulbright application is sufficient, or if you have to do an additional application. Thanks!

As far as I know you need to apply and gain admission separately from your Fulbright application. I am going to university to begin a masters program and I applied and got accepted to the school three weeks ago. On the Fulbright website it also says you need to gain admission to the university independently.

Hope that helped!

As far as I know you need to apply and gain admission separately from your Fulbright application. I am going to university to begin a masters program and I applied and got accepted to the school three weeks ago. On the Fulbright website it also says you need to gain admission to the university independently.

Hope that helped!

Thanks that does help a lot. Do you have any idea if whether or not you get accepted to the university has an impact on whether or not your grant gets approved?

Thanks that does help a lot. Do you have any idea if whether or not you get accepted to the university has an impact on whether or not your grant gets approved?

Well, if your grant proposal included coursework at a specific university than yes, from what I understand, you have to be accepted in order to receive the grant. From what I understand if you are granted the award, it will be conditional upon your acceptance by the university if that was what you used as you affiliation in your application.

That is what I was told, but you might want to check with your country/regional coordinator just to make sure, it may vary country by country. Which country are you a finalist for?

Good luck!

Well, if your grant proposal included coursework at a specific university than yes, from what I understand, you have to be accepted in order to receive the grant. From what I understand if you are granted the award, it will be conditional upon your acceptance by the university if that was what you used as you affiliation in your application.

Good luck!

This is highly dependent on the country you apply for. I was in this situation last year--- I applied for Fulbright funds to cover the costs of a language program. I wound up not getting into the program and emailed my coordinator to pull my name from consideration (I was a finalist at the time). He assured me that the Fulbright Fellowship is NOT contingent on entry into a separate program (even though my statement explicity said I wanted to use the funds for it.) If I was awarded, he told me, they would help place me somewhere else.

This policy might differ by country... definitely contact your coordinator. But Fulbright Funding is not necessarily conditional on admittance to a program... even if this program is part of your proposal. IIE can help with placements when extenuating circumstances arise.

Now, whether non-admittance to a program negatively influences one's application remains up for speculation. In the end I was not selected for a Grant. But then, I'm not so sure my country accepted any language grants last year.

I really hope you get off the alternate list smile.gif because you REALLY REALLY want Fulbright. You are an alternate for which country?

Good Luck with everything

Indonesia. Were you the person who was having trouble getting in touch with the program manager? I can't remember if it was you or not who posted a few pages ago that they tried to contact him and could not get a response. If so, did he reply?