Fulbright 2011-2012

crimsonengineer87

so people are hearing from/talking to Jonathan personally via e-mail or phone? Wonder if any Vietnam applicants have done this? So curious to know they're actually out yet

someone emailed him earlier last week about Vietnam. he's still saying that it's impossible to predict, but hopes they'll go out in late april. so who really knows.

Goddamnit, OF COURSE they would go out the day before a three-day holiday weekend. For fuck's sake...

I wouldn't worry about it too much. USPS still runs normal operating hours.

Exciting that we should be hearing soon! I have a buddy who lives in Phoenix here and his notification for South Africa was sent out on Thursday and arrived Monday. Fingers crossed. Good luck Taiwaners!

My notification just came in (for Australia) and I was rejected. I uploaded my information to the spreadsheet. Other candidates for Australia should be hearing shortly (postmark date was 4/20/2011).

To the Russia ETAs out there:

Anyone willing to email Rachel to find out when we will find out about placement? I've emailed both Oksana and Rachel, only to get evasive answers. From what Oksana told me, the Moscow office is determining final placements, but she didn't answer whether or not we would hear via email from her or from the New York office. I feel like they're getting fed up with me (hell, I would be fed up with myself, too!)

So...anyone want to ask how we'll find out and when?

For the spreadsheet:

Name: trollc3

Address: Current

Notification Date: 4/23/2011

Postmark Date: 4/19/2011

Method: Small white envelope

Academic Status: Undergrad

Edited by trollc3

I wouldn't worry about it too much. USPS still runs normal operating hours.

Exciting that we should be hearing soon! I have a buddy who lives in Phoenix here and his notification for South Africa was sent out on Thursday and arrived Monday. Fingers crossed. Good luck Taiwaners!

No news today. Hoping for early next week. Fuck, I'm on edge.

I got word that current Fulbrighters in Syria have been evacuated and moved to Jordan. So I guess some prospective MENA applicants should be prepared to choose an alternate country or defer

Edited by siuse

Hey guys,

I found this forum the other week, but was too lazy to sign up for an account. For those of you waiting on Fulbright Taiwan, I can confirm that notifications were mailed out on Thursday. I got my acceptance for a full grant today, postmarked on the 21st (I'm in New Jersey). Depending on where people are located you should hear soon. Just hold on a bit longer, and hopefully we'll cross paths in Taiwan.

To the Russia ETAs out there:

Anyone willing to email Rachel to find out when we will find out about placement? I've emailed both Oksana and Rachel, only to get evasive answers. From what Oksana told me, the Moscow office is determining final placements, but she didn't answer whether or not we would hear via email from her or from the New York office. I feel like they're getting fed up with me (hell, I would be fed up with myself, too!)

So...anyone want to ask how we'll find out and when?

Last time I called the office (wasn't Rachel that picked up) to inquire about the medical forms, the person told me we won't hear the placements or ANYTHING else until the medical clearance is complete. The medical forms are supposed our way of accepting the offer, so nothing is finalized until that's done. So basically don't expect to hear anything until three weeks or so after you sent the medical forms in for clearance.

How we will find out, I don't know. My guess is by mail, being that the program was so strict about mail-only decisions. And honestly, I wouldn't try asking them. They're gonna keep giving vague answers and they will be irritated that we're bothering them. lol

Edited by studentb2011

Where was the letter sent from: New York or Washington? And did it get sent to your current or your permanent address?

Congratulations! That's awesome.

Hey guys,

I found this forum the other week, but was too lazy to sign up for an account. For those of you waiting on Fulbright Taiwan, I can confirm that notifications were mailed out on Thursday. I got my acceptance for a full grant today, postmarked on the 21st (I'm in New Jersey). Depending on where people are located you should hear soon. Just hold on a bit longer, and hopefully we'll cross paths in Taiwan.

Where was the letter sent from: New York or Washington? And did it get sent to your current or your permanent address?

Congratulations! That's awesome.

The letter was sent from New York. I know the website says you are mailed a letter from the FSB if you are selected, but I think all that means is you get a form letter on FSB letterhead with the name of your country filled in bold where they copy-paste. ("Congratulations on your Fulbright to Taiwan.")

Also the letter was sent to my current address. That's probably the default.

General question to the forumites (is that a word?) or forum-stalkers.

Do the country commissions (i.e. German Fulbright Commission) help us out with flights and visa stuff, once we're pass the medical clearance?

Also, to German Fulbrighters (I think they all abandoned this forum cuz they heard way back when), is anyone else taking the language course?

Thanks and congrats to everyone who's been accepted!laugh.gif

General question to the forumites (is that a word?) or forum-stalkers.

Do the country commissions (i.e. German Fulbright Commission) help us out with flights and visa stuff, once we're pass the medical clearance?

Also, to German Fulbrighters (I think they all abandoned this forum cuz they heard way back when), is anyone else taking the language course?

Thanks and congrats to everyone who's been accepted!laugh.gif

Flights, yeah. The Commission actually sent an STA Travel form to me when they told me they were trying to place me earlier. With the Visa, there will likely be forms for you to fill out, but that will also likely come through Fulbright.

How do things work with the language course? I'd like to take it just because, but didn't really look into it beforehand.

Flights, yeah. The Commission actually sent an STA Travel form to me when they told me they were trying to place me earlier. With the Visa, there will likely be forms for you to fill out, but that will also likely come through Fulbright.

How do things work with the language course? I'd like to take it just because, but didn't really look into it beforehand.

Yeah, I didn't really know about the language course and how they selected individuals cuz I didn't see anything in our apps. So when I got my information back in March, I just emailed them and asked about it and got it. While I've had German (more than a year ago), I mainly saw it as a good refresher. Probably once I become immersed in it, I'll begin to learn all those fun things about German grammar everyone else hated! Lol. You should email them if you're interested! It starts in August and it's in Marburg.

But good to know they'll help with flights. I am getting antsy about all my plans this summer! Soooo many things to do!

Would it make sense to start a separate discussion thread for accepted 2011-12 Fulbrighters? I have questions about stipend and some other things, but this thread is getting pretty long/unwieldy.

True. We've already surpassed last year's thread and the NSF GRFP thread, although I was quite worried they would beat us. They grew to half our views and such in like two days (I applied for this as well and watch their thread grow exponentially). But I think it's okay to keep it here. If you look at the past threads, there is a sort of "evolution" from those who applied and made it the first round, and then the next round, and then the finalists asking questions about flights and such. But yes, it is quite long ... but I think most of the people who will eventually read this thread in the near future will be those in the same boat as you. But, that's just my opinion!

I emailed him... I'll let you know when (or if) I hear back!

anyone want to email jonathan about vietnam? i would do it again, but i don't want to keep pestering him if someone else is willing to do it. hopefully this is the week!!!